Ovation/Applause Ukulele colors

ChrisRCovington

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I was looking online at Ovation/Applause ukuleles. I noticed that here in the states the UA20 comes in black or red and the UA10 is natural. However looking at Japanese and Korean ukulele pages I see they come in about 10 different colors! They look really cool in the blue, green, white, etc. What gives? How come we can't get them here in the US? I don't really feel like paying hundreds of $$$ to get them shipped here either.
applause-ukulele-image.jpg applause-ukulele-ua20.jpg

You used to be able to get them in Koa in the US, I got mine and had it signed by Jake at his 1st concert in the Twin Cities a few years back.
It's ok but a little quiet, however the intonation is spot on and very playable.

Judging from the reviews, I'd stay-a-way from them in any color!

They take about a year and a half or two of consistent playing to "open up". The first thing you need to do with it is to replace the stock strings with Aquila Concert Strings. I own two, a black stain and a cherry burst. My black stain is about five years old and it is one of the sweetest sounding ukuleles that my friends have played (our club has about 600 members). I perform two to four times a week with my black stain UAE20 and other musicians are always wowed by it's tone, intonation and volume. It's been around the globe with me and played on many continents. Ric

Here's mine:

35858Ukulele113.jpg

35858Ukulele110.jpg

ukulele324.jpg

Ukulele228.jpg

I have a UA10 and I used to have a UAE20 (ex took it, I'm sure it's in bits somewhere). I really like them. I agree that after some playing they do open up (my UA10 has opened up after about 2 years). I also agree you need to change the strings. I've seen the koa ones with the palm tree sound holes they are really cool looking. Like anything Ovation it's either love it or hate it. I just wish I could get some of those sweet colors over here.

Well my UAE20 that was taken from me about three years ago is back with me (long story)! It isn't in bits and sounds awesome! Yay!

I had one but decided to take it back to where I purchased it. I'm sorry I did and will probably buy another sometime in the near future. As with their guitars, they sound awesome when played through amplification. I had the black colored model.

Hey I also have a black stain UAE20. Tried Worth tenors, Martins and Aquila with little success. Currently on Aquila Red tenors. Love playing the thing but it's a struggle to get a fat sound.

Any advice greatly appreciated

marky boy

It's the electric soprano delux. No tension problems at all. Just can't find a sweet sound. think it may end up in the for sale section soon. It's just not working for me sound wise... Frustrated as it's a beautiful uke to play.

Top Bottom