UAS makes it hard to save for a more expensive uke??

sweetiecino

Reaction score
So i'm a noob on this forum, but I have noticed that everyone seems to buy on average a new uke every month or two. I'm just wondering is it really UAS that stops people from saving up and buying a more expensive / better uke?

VERY TRUE sweetie...shucks....lost count now..could have saved much much hassle and bought two or three instead of 203...he he...oh well...live and learn so they say

A thousand times yes. I've made that choice for the final big serious time uke, and it's time to start saving the pennies. And what do I do? Start window shopping less expensive ukes that are really cool and I want. It's like No! Stop it! You'll play it a few times! And then I bargain with myself, and I have to send myself to bed without supper for talking back... to myself.

Like booze, affects everyone differently. Some folks make frequent purchases of expensive uke, some inexpensive ukes. Some just shop and wait until the "right" deal pops up. No matter how it affects you, if you have it, you are anticipating your "next" uke no matter the frequency of your buying habits.

I've took the plunge to save for the big uke...

The pathological researching i can become part of the illness in my experience...

Chris

I don't think it's UAS that stops people from saving up and buying a more expensive uke. I think for quite a number of us, it's that it's quite difficult to get our hands on these expensive ukes to give them a test run. It's really hard to drop over a grand on an instrument you've never played. Purchasing multiple cheaper instruments is a lot easier to do. Especially when there's a lot of really great low cost instruments on the market.

With guitars I can walk into any one of many guitar stores, try out some pretty nice instruments, fall in love and spend way over my initial budget on that one guitar that I'd dream about for years if I walked away from it. When buying a uke it's less about passion for one instrument than matching up specs vs. budget on a number of instruments with similar stats. It's like falling head over heels for that one pretty girl you meet at a party vs. going over specs and stats on match.com. In one instance you want to try out a large variety to make sure you find the right one, in the other you don't care what else is out there.

I think it's very logical. We are looking for the right sound and even if you think that you have the right one, there is that song that will sound better in different size, tonewood, low g / high g, etc. and the search begins again. Of course there are those that accumulate and that's why I wanted to know what the average age is. As you get older, your interests aren't as broad so might as well get a bunch of the stuff that you like.

Last edited:
Like booze, affects everyone differently.

Very true.

Some people only hit the top-shelf 18 year old whiskey, while others will drink any old moonshine..... :eek:

I used SmartyPig to save for my Kamaka(s). I think it's a great tool to save for a goal.

T

I guess I have not had UAS, but I have bought 6 over the last 2 years. But each was an "improvement" or an attempt at an "improvement" from the previous one. Each taught me something in what to be looking for in the next one. I don't collect them as much as can't bring myself to sell them.. Not the same thing although it may seem so. Certainly has the same effect. :)

Less expensive ukes in reasonable numbers and succession help you to determine what makes a great instrument (in your mind, as this is different for each player, we all hear, feel and experience things differently). So you don't make the mistake of jumping into the high end and end up not being happy.

Your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom