PDA

View Full Version : To Wax or not to Wax that is the question

NoahOathKeeper
11-25-2011, 07:28 AM
"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
wax "
:D Well that is my question , should i be waxing my ukulele if so what types of wax works well . also should some finishes/woods be waxed and others not ?
Thanks in advanced for your time and knowledge

Big_e
11-25-2011, 09:15 AM
From my days of practicing classical guitar, I was taught that no more than a dust cloth was ever needed to wipe down the surface of a string instrument.
Maybe once a month a damp cloth could be used for thorough cleaning.

Once a year a good guitar polish or light furniture polish could be sparingly used as well as a non-drying oil for the fretboard and cleaning of fret wires.
Wood should be crisp and dry for optimum sound projection and while oils and waxes are good for wood, it will give your instrument a tubby dull sound which is undesireable.

Waxes and polishes will soften the wood and could soften the glues that hold the instrument together.

The way it was taught to me was that string instruments should be clean and dry. The very thing that makes a stringed instrument sound it's best is also the thing that will cause it to dry out and eventually make it unplayable anymore (wood warping and glues drying out and cracking, causing more warping). Don't worry, we talk of many years of enjoyment before this ever starts to happen.
Ernest

australe
11-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Now I'm a newbie here but I would totally agree with the previous post. I spent quite a bit of time at the music shop listening to the guy who works there play through their entire collection so I could hear the difference, and it seems to me and he agreed with me. That ukes with paint or a thicker coating on them sound... muted a bit? Wax just sounds bad and kinda gives me the heebie jeebies. I'd love to see my uke all shiny, but would be terrified to change a sound that I already like on it.

bazmaz
11-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Totally agree with above Noah - do be careful. Avoid wax.

If instrument is glossy, polish with lint free cloth and possibly tiny amount of guitar polish, bit not something that leaves a residue. Satin instrument, just use dry cloth.

Avoid adding anything to your finish that's not already supposed to be there!

willisoften
12-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I was apprenticed as a cabinet-maker, a wax polish thick enough to affect the tone of an instrument is I would suggest, applied far too heavily. Wax is often applied to add lustre, as such it requires a great deal of rubbing. Generally the shop I worked in used polishing brushes. I don't see the need for waxing with modern well applied finishes. If you must, do it infrequently, lightly, and pick one of the wax-based guitar polishes. Plenty of them about.

PoiDog
12-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Dude, don't wax. Wipe.

Like the others have said, a good $3 microfiber cloth will do all the polishing you need. Sometimes less is more and simpler is correct.