No sound from the string when holding it down! What am I doing wrong? [Quick Answers]

tinytab

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a new uke player and I just bought a Mahalo Uke U30 today. I was watching tutorial videos, in which people are playing strings that are being held down, and they get sound from them, but I don't :( Any idea what could I be possible doing wrong? Quick answers would help, as I would like to continue learning :p Thanks already!

-Robert

If I understand you correctly,your problem might be that you hold the strings down on top of the frets rather than just behind them. You'll need to press the strings down hard enough to give a clear note. Most beginners tend to press too hard, though.

Jens

Nodal points on a ukulele are harder to find. On a soprano, lightly touch the string as you pluck on the 7th fret to find the light harmonic.

On a concert model the 7th and 12th frets are the usual nodal points for harmonics. Lightly touch the string at the 12th as you pluck to get that light timbre sound.

Sorry, not a quick answer.
Ernest

Hi! I'm a new uke player and I just bought a Mahalo Uke U30 today. I was watching tutorial videos, in which people are playing strings that are being held down, and they get sound from them, but I don't :( Any idea what could I be possible doing wrong? Quick answers would help, as I would like to continue learning :p Thanks already!

-Robert

Ummm wut?

You are strumming the strings too right?

I'm guessing Tinytab is trying to hit that light timbre sound on the strings since if you don't get it just right, you really get no sound. That's just my guess.

Thank you all! Got it ;) I wasn't pressing hard enough, as I always thought it has to be a very light touch :D Problem solved!

Top Bottom