Wearing Your Uke On Your Sleeve...

H

Hippie Dribble

hey folks

you know how when you love something, you can't help but tell the world about it??? You're just so full of it that everyone knows there's something going on...

well, that's how I ( and I know YOU) feel about the ukulele. I pretty much wear my uke on my sleeve. For a start, I'm fortunate enough to be able to play and sing to the residents each day in the Nursing Home I work at. I also wear it in some other ways too. for example...

there's a guard of honour on the overhead to my front door
DSCF0229.jpg

there's a reception committee in the doorway when visitor's arrive
DSCF0228.jpg

there's some stuff on the fridge for when they fetch themselves a cool beverage
DSCF0231.jpgDSCF0232.jpg

to be continued...

Last edited:
I also have a few badges of honour on the o' car
DSCF0235.jpgDSCF0236.jpg

we've all heard the great JS say the world would be a much better place if everybody played the ukulele. Most of us would probably agree, eh

In what ways do you show your Uke Love to the world???

:)

You sure need some ukuele shirts too ....maybe Mya Moe T shirts...or Regal T shirts....love your flat...looks awesome..

I have to admit that sometimes when I tell people I'm into the uke, I feel a bit embarrassed; only because I feel that they are picturing some s** like Tiny Tim in their heads. At the same time I don't feel like going into a long rant about why the Uke kicks ass!

Gotta say tho definitely wear a uke on my sleeve.

UU hoodie FTW! I wear it almost everyday. Ukulele bumper stickers. I wear an ukulele necklace charm everyday. Need I go on? I could.

not that many stickers for me but I am always carrying one around. I ran into a co-worker a few weeks ago about 120 miles from the house at one of those outlet malls. She just laughed and laughed b/c I was sitting outside a store strumming my uke while the wife shopped.

lol that is great eugene!

I wear my ukule on my sleve, literaly.
tonight when I was out wiht a friend at the mall I brought along my pocket uke slung over rmy shoulder , as I often do, so i coudl show her my new song. A gal in a store we went to spied it ,knew what it was, but never played, but she was thinking abotu taking up an instrument. we had a long conversaion about the uke and I think I may have inspired what will be another great uke journey for someone :)

lol that is great eugene!

I wear my ukule on my sleve, literaly.
tonight when I was out wiht a friend at the mall I brought along my pocket uke slung over rmy shoulder , as I often do, so i coudl show her my new song. A gal in a store we went to spied it ,knew what it was, but never played, but she was thinking abotu taking up an instrument. we had a long conversaion about the uke and I think I may have inspired what will be another great uke journey for someone :)

this is why I always have one with me. I can not count the number of conversations i have had about the uke. I am not sure how many folks actually begin a uke journey but I like to think of myself as a uke seed planter.

I always carry three things with me every where I go:
One- a yo-yo. It hangs from my front belt loop every day and I take it out whenever the urge strikes...Adderall on a string.
Two- a pair of bones. My wife says that is so everyone knows I am coming. I clickety-clack through life with a smile.
Three- added about six months ago. A Morgan Monroe Soprano Banjo Uke. While I am a fan of vintage skinheads (lol), I had to have a plastic head banjo for the weather changes (or carry three wrenches for my old girls), and it never leaves my side. Played a little tune for some unsuspecting Christmas shoppers today in fact. This addiction has stung so hard I just can't be without it (there are three at work at all times as well).

Oh gosh - it's official. I'm one of YOU now . . . today (Black Friday) I was waiting outside a Target for my girl to get some last minute shopping done. I just couldn't do anymore. But I did have a couple of ukes in the car with me (a "couple of ukes" you say? yep, I'm always hoping someone else wants to try). So Pink is on the radio and I'm thinking, whatev . . . let's go! A great diversion. Get the party started . . .

Our visitors are greeted by our "uke wall" in the living room. Ukuleles are always ready to be grabbed off the wall to teach a chord or two or to play a song.
IMG_1060.jpg IMG_1061.jpg

I have a vast selection of Ukulele themed clothes and wear those a lot...plus some UU stickers and a UU hoodie which I seem to be living in!

Me too! I even keep one on my desk at work with a beginner book and a tuner so anyone that happens by can pick it up and play a tune. The guy in the cube next to me has a mini set of drums. Most Fridays we have Fun Friday morning and play for the cube farm :)

300669_10150379968442363_504317362_10177430_1625741656_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, uke pride! I carry a uke lots of places and play when and wherever I can, pretty much anywhere I have to wait. When I get my allergy shot I go outside and play during the 20 minute wait, while I'm waiting for a prescription at the pharmacy, etc. Keep on strumming!

Love this eugene. I do talk about it a lot, but funny thing happened. I was in a local music store (that never seemed to have many ukes) until they moved to a bigger store and have more ukes now.. then the owner asked when I was going to play for them! Ha!!
I haven't talked much about the uke since! I wish I had more confidence. I don't even play when my family is home..

Keep adding to the story!

Top Bottom