PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Your Uke On Your Sleeve...

Hippie Dribble
11-25-2011, 04:05 PM
hey folks

you know how when you love something, you can't help but tell the world about it??? You're just so full of it that everyone knows there's something going on...

well, that's how I ( and I know YOU) feel about the ukulele. I pretty much wear my uke on my sleeve. For a start, I'm fortunate enough to be able to play and sing to the residents each day in the Nursing Home I work at. I also wear it in some other ways too. for example...

there's a guard of honour on the overhead to my front door

there's a reception committee in the doorway when visitor's arrive

there's some stuff on the fridge for when they fetch themselves a cool beverage

to be continued...

Hippie Dribble
11-25-2011, 04:16 PM
I also have a few badges of honour on the o' car

we've all heard the great JS say the world would be a much better place if everybody played the ukulele. Most of us would probably agree, eh

In what ways do you show your Uke Love to the world???

:)

mm stan
11-25-2011, 04:19 PM
You sure need some ukuele shirts too ....maybe Mya Moe T shirts...or Regal T shirts....love your flat...looks awesome..

rook
11-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I have to admit that sometimes when I tell people I'm into the uke, I feel a bit embarrassed; only because I feel that they are picturing some shit like Tiny Tim in their heads. At the same time I don't feel like going into a long rant about why the Uke kicks ass!

Gotta say tho definitely wear a uke on my sleeve.

sukie
11-25-2011, 05:32 PM
UU hoodie FTW! I wear it almost everyday. Ukulele bumper stickers. I wear an ukulele necklace charm everyday. Need I go on? I could.

haolejohn
11-25-2011, 05:34 PM
not that many stickers for me but I am always carrying one around. I ran into a co-worker a few weeks ago about 120 miles from the house at one of those outlet malls. She just laughed and laughed b/c I was sitting outside a store strumming my uke while the wife shopped.

haolejohn
11-25-2011, 05:34 PM
UU hoodie FTW! I wear it almost everyday. Ukulele bumper stickers. I wear an ukulele necklace charm everyday. Need I go on? I could.

I do wear ukulele related underwear once a week:)

wolfybau
11-25-2011, 05:50 PM
lol that is great eugene!

I wear my ukule on my sleve, literaly.
tonight when I was out wiht a friend at the mall I brought along my pocket uke slung over rmy shoulder , as I often do, so i coudl show her my new song. A gal in a store we went to spied it ,knew what it was, but never played, but she was thinking abotu taking up an instrument. we had a long conversaion about the uke and I think I may have inspired what will be another great uke journey for someone :)

haolejohn
11-25-2011, 06:01 PM
lol that is great eugene!

I wear my ukule on my sleve, literaly.
tonight when I was out wiht a friend at the mall I brought along my pocket uke slung over rmy shoulder , as I often do, so i coudl show her my new song. A gal in a store we went to spied it ,knew what it was, but never played, but she was thinking abotu taking up an instrument. we had a long conversaion about the uke and I think I may have inspired what will be another great uke journey for someone :)

this is why I always have one with me. I can not count the number of conversations i have had about the uke. I am not sure how many folks actually begin a uke journey but I like to think of myself as a uke seed planter.

TCK
11-25-2011, 07:31 PM
I always carry three things with me every where I go:
One- a yo-yo. It hangs from my front belt loop every day and I take it out whenever the urge strikes...Adderall on a string.
Two- a pair of bones. My wife says that is so everyone knows I am coming. I clickety-clack through life with a smile.
Three- added about six months ago. A Morgan Monroe Soprano Banjo Uke. While I am a fan of vintage skinheads (lol), I had to have a plastic head banjo for the weather changes (or carry three wrenches for my old girls), and it never leaves my side. Played a little tune for some unsuspecting Christmas shoppers today in fact. This addiction has stung so hard I just can't be without it (there are three at work at all times as well).

ukunuke
11-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Oh gosh - it's official. I'm one of YOU now . . . today (Black Friday) I was waiting outside a Target for my girl to get some last minute shopping done. I just couldn't do anymore. But I did have a couple of ukes in the car with me (a "couple of ukes" you say? yep, I'm always hoping someone else wants to try). So Pink is on the radio and I'm thinking, whatev . . . let's go! A great diversion. Get the party started . . .

Dan Uke
11-25-2011, 08:26 PM

You must be playing a G String!!! :drool:

mds725
11-25-2011, 09:00 PM
I have Lori's 2011 ukulele calendar (http://www.cafepress.com/+ukulele_calendar_2011,487344151)in my office, and I'll hang her 2012 ukulele calendar (http://www.cafepress.com/+ukulele_calendar_2012_pgrated,586898628) in its place after New Year's Eve.

elisdad
11-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Our visitors are greeted by our "uke wall" in the living room. Ukuleles are always ready to be grabbed off the wall to teach a chord or two or to play a song.
30303 30304

joeybug
11-25-2011, 11:45 PM
I have a vast selection of Ukulele themed clothes and wear those a lot...plus some UU stickers and a UU hoodie which I seem to be living in!

Susie A
11-26-2011, 01:41 AM
Me too! I even keep one on my desk at work with a beginner book and a tuner so anyone that happens by can pick it up and play a tune. The guy in the cube next to me has a mini set of drums. Most Fridays we have Fun Friday morning and play for the cube farm :)

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/300669_10150379968442363_504317362_10177430_162574 1656_n.jpg

dkcrown
11-26-2011, 02:06 AM
You must be playing a G String!!! :drool:

Oooohhh. That is a picture that I don't want to see. Sorry John.

garyg
11-26-2011, 02:13 AM
Yes, uke pride! I carry a uke lots of places and play when and wherever I can, pretty much anywhere I have to wait. When I get my allergy shot I go outside and play during the 20 minute wait, while I'm waiting for a prescription at the pharmacy, etc. Keep on strumming!

fitncrafty
11-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Love this eugene. I do talk about it a lot, but funny thing happened. I was in a local music store (that never seemed to have many ukes) until they moved to a bigger store and have more ukes now.. then the owner asked when I was going to play for them! Ha!!
I haven't talked much about the uke since! I wish I had more confidence. I don't even play when my family is home..

Keep adding to the story!

Kem
11-26-2011, 02:59 AM
I have a webcomic; about a year ago, I did a series of five strips (starting here (http://www.masseycollege.ca/alumni/westofbathurst/westofbathurst101103.html)) about one of my characters luring new members to her band with her ukulele. It is highly probable that Barbara's uke will make more appearances eventually.

SuzukHammer
11-26-2011, 03:41 AM
Last night I did a mashup of Rod Stewart's "The first cut is the deepest" and Tequila.

I hope it was funny because I thought it was hilarious.

I am wondering - Will that version ever make it out to being sung on stage??

Plainsong
11-26-2011, 04:19 AM
That moment when you realize there's ukulele pride all over your house, and it's completely normal to you, but guests look at you like you're insane.... And you feel bad for them. :)

Dougf
11-26-2011, 05:08 AM
I've been taking my uke along to my company's annual developer conferences in Europe, and my colleagues have been ribbing me about it, just some good natured joking. This year I gave presentations to about 150 german engineers and sales people (a pretty tough crowd), and I joked that if it looked like the audience was falling asleep, I'd break out my uke to liven things up. Who knows, maybe next year I'll get up the courage and actually do it, a little impromptu open-mic. :)

Canoe Lady
11-26-2011, 05:17 AM
I talk about the uke all the time and although don't have a lot of time to play one at work, we have managed a few uke breaks on Sunday evenings. It has actually inspired several of my coworkers and friends to play too. I don't have enough ukuleles or enough humidity to actually use them as art, but I do think they are that awesome!

sukie
11-26-2011, 05:44 AM

You still wearing the flamingo thong? hahahaha.........

haolejohn
11-26-2011, 06:21 AM
You still wearing the flamingo thong? hahahaha.........

I do still wear it:)

nix
11-26-2011, 06:23 AM
I have a webcomic; about a year ago, I did a series of five strips (starting here (http://www.masseycollege.ca/alumni/westofbathurst/westofbathurst101103.html)) about one of my characters luring new members to her band with her ukulele. It is highly probable that Barbara's uke will make more appearances eventually.

Your web comic is too awesome for words! I especially loved the "You are immune to the power of the uke! You must bear it to Modor." How could anyone resist a uke comic with Lord of the Rings references?

Nix

vanflynn
11-26-2011, 06:42 AM
I am surrounded by long time guitar players and am not at the level to feel comfortable to join in yet so I'm more in the "hello, my name is Jim, I play the ukulele" phase. Admission is the first step, right?

Kem
11-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Your web comic is too awesome for words! I especially loved the "You are immune to the power of the uke! You must bear it to Modor." How could anyone resist a uke comic with Lord of the Rings references?

Nix

In my opinion, if Frodo had had to bear not the One Ring but the One Uke to Mordor, he would have had an easier time of it. The Fellowship could even have stopped for singalongs in Moria. Of course, Frodo might also have ended up spending most of the book lurking on eBay, possibly with Gollum attempting to snipe him.

philpot
11-26-2011, 07:42 AM
In my opinion, if Frodo had had to bear not the One Ring but the One Uke to Mordor, he would have had an easier time of it. The Fellowship could even have stopped for singalongs in Moria. Of course, Frodo might also have ended up spending most of the book lurking on eBay, possibly with Gollum attempting to snipe him.

That's... amazing.

I always have my ukulele with me. I don't play in public much, because I need a little prompting, but I always have at least one in the car with me. My mom always says "why are you taking your ukulele?" When I go out places. My answer? Er... I can't think of a reason to NOT have a ukulele with me... soooo...? I wear my ukulele underground shirt around a lot too, so I get people asking me about the site :P

wolfybau
11-26-2011, 01:19 PM

:D:D:D:D too funny!