PDA

View Full Version : Ukes Ukes Ukes

AC Baltimore
11-25-2011, 06:16 PM
The soprano ohana I have had a few weeks, just now getting pics. The monkeypod and acacia came in from mim today. they are AMAZING!!!!! I like the acacia best but love them both. I was not enjoying the aquilas on the MP so after feeding her some lemon oil I put some worth browns on and they sound killer.

More to come....

AC Baltimore
11-25-2011, 06:18 PM

haolejohn
11-25-2011, 06:21 PM
The soprano ohana I have had a few weeks, just now getting pics. The monkeypod and acacia came in from mim today. they are AMAZING!!!!! I like the acacia best but love them both. I was not enjoying the aquilas on the MP so after feeding her some lemon oil I put some worth browns on and they sound killer.

More to come....

that grain pattern looks great on the front.

Trinimon
11-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Congrats on the new additions. Gotta luv that slotted head Kala acacia tenor! I'm tempted to polish mine to a gloss like I did the concert version. :p

AC Baltimore
11-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys. It would be scare to death trying to polish them, I will stick with lemon oil lol. The Lanikai is real nice. If I had any beef it would be it has a rather thin neck for as wide as it is. The aquilas imo sounded awful on it but the worths fixed that. It is not a loud uke but such a sweet mellow even tone. Monkeypod appears to be a super porous wood which makes the finish a bit less smooth than the acacia. Having said that I love it to bits. The Kala is just great top to bottom. And Mim is top notch, amazing to buy from. I will be a return customer.

kenikas
11-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Got to agree Mim is da bess!! Congrats on the new ukes. I was going back and forth between the Lanikai Monkeypod and Zebrawood concerts and really liked them both, the Monkeypod was a bit mellower sounding and I love the brightness of the Zebrawood. I came across a Zebrawood for under $200 and that what I ended up buying. Love the slightly wider neck and the string spacing, but like you said I'm thinking the Aquilas are a bit harsh on it. I have both Freemonts and Worths in my string stash so when I get a few spare minutes I'll have try them on it.

AC Baltimore
11-25-2011, 07:30 PM
I came so close to getting the zebrawood. In the end I chose the MP because I wanted to buy them from MIM. I think you will enjoy the WB on there if its anything like the MP. The more I play the less I grasp how anyone cane have a "brand" of string. Tones, response and chemistry varies so much from one instrument to another, I do not know that I could have a brand anymore.

Got to agree Mim is da bess!! Congrats on the new ukes. I was going back and forth between the Lanikai Monkeypod and Zebrawood concerts and really liked them both, the Monkeypod was a bit mellower sounding and I love the brightness of the Zebrawood. I came across a Zebrawood for under $200 and that what I ended up buying. Love the slightly wider neck and the string spacing, but like you said I'm thinking the Aquilas are a bit harsh on it. I have both Freemonts and Worths in my string stash so when I get a few spare minutes I'll have try them on it.