WORTH STRINGS-Brown VS. Clear

ukeninam

Reaction score
Now I've used the search function and found an array of worth comments. People were throwing in words that really didn't mean much to me but I got to the conclusion that and correct me if I'm wrong....

WORTH BROWNS-the sound is mellow, meaning sort of dead and not too bright?
WORTH CLEARS-brighter sound, louder, crisper

I saw the video comparing the worth browns to ko'olau golds, anyways the worth browns sounded dead to me. Does anyone have a video comparing worth browns VS clears, or has anyone used both.

:confused::eek:

This is so true...

You'll learn a lot more by actually playing them than by anything we say about them. Why not pick up a set of both?

When I first started (not long ago) I read here I needed to change strings for better sound... So I did to "Green Pack D'Addario's" on my KA-Soprano (it was all the store I went to had) I liked the sound... Well after reading a few negative posts here about those strings and the Raves about the Aquilla's I figured those folks must know better than me!!!!
So off to the Uke store for a set of Aquilla's. Well.... I didn't like them at first and couldn't remember what the D'Addario's sounded like,bummer... So back to the Uke store to get the Green Pack strings and another KA-S to do side by side testing (my excuse for UAS).

So far I have found that I don't care for the Aquilla's to twangy/tinny for strummin Jimmy Buffett to, Last night I picked up a set of Ko' Gold's and really like those over the Aquilla's or the Green Pack's.

But last night I played a Kala Koa/Cedar Soprano with Aquilla's and it sounded like Honey, smooth and sweet... I never would have picked up the Gold's but a Pono I was playin has them on it.

So for what it's worth....

One mans Aquilla's are an others Ko' Golds....

Now I need to those Worth's but noone here carries them... Hmm... Mgm????

Last edited:
Yep. It's so hard to do string comparisons because most of the time, they all sound very different on every type of ukulele.

Ive had the clears on my LU21t like 2 years ago, very high tension and bright. They also shredded on me like string cheese by each fret wire, which also happened to a few others as well, probably a bad batch.

Ive sampled Rays Lanikai spruce with the browns and they were a little more mellow, but I think the spruce livened them up a bit (that was the first time I ever played on a spruce).

I prefer a more louder harsher sound and the clears worked for me

this vid has the golds (you can see it shine in the light at the very beginning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMavPccJDec

I think this vid has the clears on, or it could be nylguts, im not sure lol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WvW6c0ba8) also that is not the true sound since I have the sound hole covered.

Yeah, it's all personal preference. You really need to buy a set and try them out to get the "feel" for different types of strings.

I know that I like Worth Browns on my Koaloha Tenor because of the brightness and don't care for D'Addarios cause they sounded a little more muted and I didn't care for the "feel" - but some others are opposite from me, like Aldymon who loves the D'Addarios and doesn't care for the Worths. You just gottah try them and find out for yourself.

4 ukes with 4 strings......I am currently using D'addarios, Worth clears, Aquilas, and Koolau Golds. Different ukes made of different materials require different strings. Try em all folks!! Strings are the cheapest part of the UAS investment.

I've got worth clears on my KA-S and they sound bright and great. But really like everyone else said it will vary from uke to uke.

i wanted to detest asking but like a lot of folks I need to buy mine online :( because none of my local stores keep any ukes or uke strings in stock!! (maybe that's a good thing since UAS may or may not settle in with impulse purchases)

Not that buying online is bad but not fun when you have to pay at least the same amount as the price to ship out!! But thank you for all your input quite valid as to personal preference!! I'm purchasing WORTH clears for now as well as Aquila's. (at least the WORTH's are 2 sets!!!)

I've yet to purchase the ko'olau golds!!

:rock: on!!!

I have a solid mahogany tenor, ohana tk 35g

(Clears) I recently started to hear a rattle on the a string, and I found it had a nick in it, which was rattling agains the fret. So I figured I would just try out the set of browns that I have too. I didn't like the different between the 2 at first, but I figured I would give it some time. They sounded dead, much quieter, not as much sustain. My chords didn't sound as pretty, some of my fingerpickings didn't sound that great anymore, but it worked very well for some bluegrass. However I ended up getting very irritated by it after 3 days (I had stretched the strings out and all, but they weren't growing on me) So I put the clears back on and replaced the A string. The G string kept slpiing out so I replaced it as well. And I was very happy again.

At least for my uke... I liked the clears better. And I thought that the browns felt alot harder on my fingers, almost like they were cutting into them. But I'm pretty sure it's the same exact gauges on the 2 sets so maybe I had just played too much or something...

For some reason, I cannot stand the gold nylons from Ko'olau. Their wound strings sound great if you want wound, but keep those gold nylons away from me. Not to mention, I had their 1st string break on me 3 times lasting from 15 minutes up to 3 days. The tuner caused the problem, but it probably wouldn't have happened with lower tension strings. They seemed too hard with too high tension.

Currently, my tenor mango has a hybrid setup: 1st and 2nd GHS black, 3rd and 4th Ko'olau. The repair shop ran out of most tenor strings. When I called, they said the brands they supplied (LaBella and Aquila), but they failed to mention whether or not the strings were in stock. Sadly, they only had a single set of Kala Reds and GHS. I wanted to keep low G, so I only swapped the first two strings.

the difference between the brown and clear worth strings

from what i know.

The brown strings are "supposed" to be meant for koa but i guess it can go either way. the main sound difference in the brown is that its more mellow sounding i mean they are still loud cause they are worth strings.. but its a lot more mellower compared to the clear ones.

the clears ones krank out the noise man.

i have a lanikai ck-c with brown medium tension worth strings i like them!.

aquila strings are nice too! i currently have them on my kanilea k-1 tenor but ive been thinking about trying the clear worth strings on them to see how they sound!

haha sorry i don tknow if that helped or not.. but yeah!

great advice everyone. i ordered Worth Clears and Aquila's from MGM. He's great I like messaged him how many times hahah i'm sure he thought I was annoying! None the less I payed and he quickly emailed back and said he sent it out, FAST MUCH???:D:D:D!! I'll soon find out how they both feel and sound!!

After recently trying out Fremont Blacklines on my old Kamaka they brightened it up some from the Aquilas that were on it. For grins I tried a set of the Worth Clears last Wednesday and I'm very impressed how much brighter it sounds. I think I'll stay with these awhile even though I liked the look of the black strings on my Kamaka :D

As said before results will vary from ukulele to ukulele and personal preference. Just gotta try some and see what suits your style and taste.

I'm purchasing WORTH clears for now as well as Aquila's. (at least the WORTH's are 2 sets!!!)

I've yet to purchase the ko'olau golds!!

:rock: on!!!

I had/have a set of Golds on an old Harmony concert, loved them so much I bought a few sets for other ukes, hated them on the other ukes. I like a stiffer string AQ and clear worth are stiffer. FYI I got 3 sets out of the worth (2 concert 1 soprano)

I have heard and I like the worth browns. seeso you use them right? cuz i really like a mellow sounding ukulele but that still has the nice ukulele sound. which is basically saying i love iz's uke. wow i sidetrack. anyway i like worth browns, but i would deffinetely just buy both of them and just try them. if not o well, your decision.

:nana:

Yeah, I have Worth Browns on my Lanikai tenor.

Forgot to follow up on this thread, but just as i expected the Worth Clears are quite bright made all the difference to my weak O/S uke.

I didn't order the browns but since the clears are quite awesome I will probably order the browns sometime in the future. Its great you get 2 sets of strings. I won't need to purchase some for awhile at least. and I also purchased Aquila's but yet to try them. Call me cheap---I prefer resourceful, but until I FULLY use the Worths that are on now then I'll change them until then....I hope this little tidbit helps someone else with their string qualms!!

Top Bottom