Was looking for a Kamaka HF-3

Markr1

Reaction score
Well I've been looking for a used Kamaka HF-3 but all of them I see are at least $1000 used. I couldn't stand it anymore I went to Artisan guitars in Nashville. Theirs were all sold but they said they would be getting a new shipment in the last of December. The original price was $1150 new with Kamaka case and free shipping and goodies as they called it tho not sure what the goodies are. I received an email back from them saying the price had increased to $1245 but since they had already quoted the $1150 that they would honor that. I put a down payment on it and they are giving me first choice on which one of the batch I want and are going to send pics of all the HF-3s that come in. I think new is the route to take for me since all the used HF-3s I see listed at a grand have a ding or 2 in them. I don't mind paying an extra $150 for a new one of my choice rather then a used one with dings and playwear.

Congratulations, and good for Artisan for honoring the previously quoted price. They sound like good people.

That recent Kamaka price increase certainly drove up the price of used instruments - I've noticed the same thing, around a grand for an instrument with dings. I'm waiting until I can just spring for the full retail and be done with it. Might be a bit of a wait though :)

Congratulations, and good for Artisan for honoring the previously quoted price. They sound like good people.

That recent Kamaka price increase certainly drove up the price of used instruments - I've noticed the same thing, around a grand for an instrument with dings. I'm waiting until I can just spring for the full retail and be done with it. Might be a bit of a wait though :)
They have been very helpful and responded to all my emails of questions. Are you looking for an HF-3 also Jane or a Kamaka in general? I have heard so many good things about them I just had to have one. Artisan guitars have a lot of nice ukes on their site. If they hadn't of honored the original quoted price I probably wouldn't have bought it. Everywhere else I've looked has had the higher price for a while now. Places like Elderly and Mandolin brothers just to name a couple.

Are you looking for an HF-3 also Jane or a Kamaka in general?

An HF-3 specifically - I've already got a Kamaka soprano and two concerts. I'm still not entirely certain that it's a good choice for me (I have really small hands with really short fingers) but every time I play my friend's HF-3 the UAS kicks in!

Fortunately I spend a lot of time at a music shop that stocks Kamakas. I'll know when the time is right - if I'm ever there when they get several HF-3s in and I can do a side by side comparison, that's probably when I'll pull the trigger. When I bought my Kamaka pineapple I was able to do that and it's turned out to be my perfect uke.

I almost bought a Collings concert a week ago to go with my Collings UT-3 but am glad I didn't because the HF-3 is what I really wanted. Good luck in your quest to find one.
An HF-3 specifically - I've already got a Kamaka soprano and two concerts. I'm still not entirely certain that it's a good choice for me (I have really small hands with really short fingers) but every time I play my friend's HF-3 the UAS kicks in!

Fortunately I spend a lot of time at a music shop that stocks Kamakas. I'll know when the time is right - if I'm ever there when they get several HF-3s in and I can do a side by side comparison, that's probably when I'll pull the trigger. When I bought my Kamaka pineapple I was able to do that and it's turned out to be my perfect uke.

Remember to try different strings when you get your HF-3. Kamaka's default tenor strings are doing okay, at least I think it is better than the concert strings on HF-2. Congrats on the new HF-3, its a great instrument and I hope you like it!

Remember to try different strings when you get your HF-3. Kamaka's default tenor strings are doing okay, at least I think it is better than the concert strings on HF-2. Congrats on the new HF-3, its a great instrument and I hope you like it!
Thanks foxfair, I have Aquila yellow and brown wrapper and some worths. Which would you recommend I start with?

Thanks foxfair, I have Aquila yellow and brown wrapper and some worths. Which would you recommend I start with?
You can start off from fluoro strings like FREMONT Blackline or Worth. I've tried Worth CT, and still have Worth CH-LGHD and Fremont blackline to wait for testing. Or check this video out, Aaron compared several types of strings all on HF-3. Pick the one you prefer up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocz6mFsTN1s&feature=related

Worths, definitely.

I remember when I got my HF-3 for a little less than $700. That was only 4 years ago! I'd like to know for sure why prices have gone up SO much (I think I know why). I don't think the product has changed at all.

I guess the good thing about the Kamaka is that they hold their value but I agree. The used HF3 all seem to be around the $900 mark and at that level, I'd rather save a little longer and pay the extra for a brand new one without wear marks or dings and have the peace of mind with the warranty. Congrats on your pre-Kamaka buy. :)

Congratulations on your new HF-3! Be sure to post photos once you get it. I think that paying only an additional $150 to get a new uke instead of a used one is a no-brainer.

Everywhere else I've looked has had the higher price for a while now. Places like Elderly and Mandolin brothers just to name a couple.

Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto CA is currently selling a pre-price increase Kamaka HF-3 with the older Kamaka hard case for $1,093 and a second pre-price increase Kamaka HF-3 with the new Kamaka branded hard case for $1,185. Great people -- yesterday, Frank adjusted the action on a used HF-3 I bought there in July at no charge, and Gryphon was also great to deal with when I bought my baritone and 8-string. I'm not sure whether this is a reflection of recent price increases or if Gryphon just offered a great deal, but that used HF-3, which was built in 2005 but looked brand new when I bought it (no dings or scratches), was $795.

Last edited:
One advantage of used is it had time to open up. I bought a new Kamaka HF-3 last year and it took a change of strings and some months to really open up and sing.

Having both a Mya Moe and Kamaka tenor,,,,,I would keep the Mya Moe any day over the Kamaka

Aloha Mark,
congrats on the Kamaka tenor purchase...Yes your timing is right on the ball...way better to get a new one for that small price difference...that is for sure..I hope you got to choose your uke
too..Let me kow how it turns out....yes a string change would be good too, everyone has their own personal preferences... Happy Strummings..

Hi Mark. Your new uke sounds like it'll be a winner. Couple questions, though. You already have the lovely Koaloha Sunday and Sceptre, and although not tenors (I don't think), why a Kamaka tenor. You've got a boatload of ukes already. Lol. And, since you went to the store to order one, and you get the first pick of what comes in, wouldn't you want to drive there and spend a couple hours trying them all out and find that absolute jewel? Just wondering.

Again, congratulations.

Is that the one located in Montreal?! LOL, I almost jumped on it but figured I'm gonna get my "special" so I resisted the temptation. Do it!! :)

Congrats bro!! Hopefully you pick just the right one to your liking :) i'm sure it will be a beautiful instrument!!!

I have some nice ukes I'm not sure if I can give you an answer to the why another tenor other then I want it. I like my pineapple and my Sceptre and my Collings and have been wanting a Kamaka for a while since hearing really good reviews on them.
Hi Mark. Your new uke sounds like it'll be a winner. Couple questions, though. You already have the lovely Koaloha Sunday and Sceptre, and although not tenors (I don't think), why a Kamaka tenor. You've got a boatload of ukes already. Lol. And, since you went to the store to order one, and you get the first pick of what comes in, wouldn't you want to drive there and spend a couple hours trying them all out and find that absolute jewel? Just wondering.

Again, congratulations.

Top Bottom