PDA

View Full Version : Fret lifting, how to secure down again.

coolkayaker1
11-26-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a soprano Silver Creek mahogany uke and found that it has a loose fret. That's right, the very end of the fret is very slightly lifted and loose. Humidity (or, lack thereof), I don;t know. What I do know is, it buzzes on every fret up to that one (fourth fret), but not at all above it or with open string pluck. So, if I pluck and carefully hold down the end of the fret, the buzz goes away!

Does anyone have an idea of how I can reglue, reattach the end of the fret? What should I use? I can bend it back with a fingernail or a clamp, so hopefully I will not need to take the entire fret off. Thoughts? Mahalo.

olgoat52
11-26-2011, 08:31 PM
You might be able to use some cynoacrylic glue to hold it down. You need to figure out how to clamp it down for a couple of hours. Figure this out first, don't wait till you have put the glue in. Get it all set up, then put a couple of drops of glue on either side of the fret and clamp it into place. Leave it for a couple of hours, (forget the accelerator..) or more and unclamp and see if the fret end stays down.

If not you will probably have to pull and reshape the fret and use two part epoxy to glue it back in.

If you are concerned take it to a luthier and have them do it for you..

coolkayaker1
11-27-2011, 04:16 AM
olgoat: I will do precisely as you suggest. Thank you for that thought. Mele kalikimaka.