My new MP uku

TaiChiTom

Reaction score
I've been lurking in the background for a while now. A novice player, I began on my own in February and have accumulated 5 instruments. The most recent being a custom tenor from Mike Pereira in Central California. This instrument has no added bling with mahogany back and sides and a redwood top. The sound is clear, sweet and bell-like. The turn around time from the date of my order to having it in my hands in SoCal was an amazingly short 3 weeks. Mike is a very easy person to deal with. He answered all my email questions promptly and completely. He sent me frequent photo updates on the progress of my instrument. Highly recommended. http://mpukes.com $770 delivered.
I have 2 minor issues with the uku. It seems to me that the finish on the top is uneven. This may be due to the varying density of the soft redwood. Also, there is a very small (less than 2 mm) ding in the top. I emailed Mike with my concerns and he immediately offered to take the uku back for repair.
Now, I have to clear the closet a bit. So, soon I will have a couple ukes for sale in the marketplace... A Kala KA-S and a KoAloha Pineapple soprano.
I'm going to try to attach some images of my MP tenor.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 126
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 51
  • end.jpg
    end.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 75
Welcome TCT!
Nice ukulele :D:D:D Love the look of that redwood top. Sounds like it's a keeper!

BTW, looks like that link to MP ukes doesn't work :confused:

From where I'm sitting, she's a beaut. Congrats. Too bad you'll have to part with her for a bit while she's getting touched up.

Don't suppose you can provide us with a sound sample could ya?

Here's the link to MP Ukes:

http://mpukuleles.com/

I really like Mr. Pereira aesthetic sensibilities. I doubt that these low prices are going to last much longer.

Congratulations on your new MP tenor, TaiChiTom! Looks fantastic. :D

Nice looking ukulele. There is no question that Mike builds a quality ukulele. The 3 week turnaround is phenomenal.

What kind of finish is on the instrument? The reason I ask is that the cure time prior to buffing out a lacquer finish is usually at least 10 days or roughly 2 weeks. That leaves a week to build the instrument which, in a shop that is setup for production this, is quite feasible. So I guess I've convinced myself that this is quite possible. Congrats on the new aquisition.

Hey Dom,

I can't speak for TaiChiTom's new MP, but my redwood/koa MP tenor has a hand-rubbed wipe on poly /wax finish. I recall that Mike told me that he first seals the wood with a sanding sealer, then uses several coats of a wipe on poly, then a clear finishing paste wax. The result: a nice satin finish. I just wipe it down with a soft cloth every time I'm done playing and it stays clean and real nice looking. I can't remember the name of the wax Mike recommended if ever I should decide the finish needs retouching, but I'm sure you could email him if you're curious.

My new MP uku is back

I sent my new mahogany/redwood uku back to Mike for repair of a small ding in the top. It came back to me today looking better than ever. The repair is not noticeable unless you already know it's there. The re-finished top looks much better than before. I am very satisfied with Mike's service. Turnaround time from the day I returned it to having it back in my hands was 9 calendar days.
As for the finish... I think the wipe on poly/wax finish is what Mike indicted to me he uses. It's a very nice satin finish. The wax he recommends for tuning up the finish is Minwax.
Tom

Fantastic. I think my first custom will be an MP.

So Julie, when are you gonna order an MP?

I couldn't help myself... I called Mike of MP Ukes this morning. Wow, what a nice guy! I told him that I was interested in a 'warm' toned uke. One of his recommendations was walnut back/sides with a redwood top. My boatpaddle uke has a redwood top, so I'll probably pick something different...

He said he's been hearing from lots of UkuleleUnderground people :)

Julie Strietelmeier
http://ukulelereview.com

I couldn't help myself... I called Mike of MP Ukes this morning. Wow, what a nice guy! I told him that I was interested in a 'warm' toned uke. One of his recommendations was walnut back/sides with a redwood top. My boatpaddle uke has a redwood top, so I'll probably pick something different...

He said he's been hearing from lots of UkuleleUnderground people :)

Julie Strietelmeier
http://ukulelereview.com

Get the same wood combination so you can compare sound and projection and all that other stuff. Don't worry about having 2 of the same combination because you know you're going to sell them off to make room for all the other ukes left to review.

That's great news Julie! I think you'll really enjoy working with Mike. He truly is a fantastic guy. BTW, I just restrung my MP tenor and wow, this instrument just keeps blowing me away. Makes me sound (and play) way better than I really am.

You might want to talk to Mike about a Cedar top, I know he's used those in the past and they reportedly impart a very warm tone. Spruce tends to be the brightest, followed by cedar, then redwood, which is even warmer and darker or smokier. (Yeah, I know, talking about ukuleles is kinda like dancing about architecture!) If I remember correct, your redwood top Boatpaddle has Maple back and sides, right? Maple tends to be a very bright wood, so I'd bet that walnut MP with a redwood top would sound really quite different and lovely.

Best regards,

David

We need to hear some sound bites from you MP owners :)

I just sent Mike a long email with all kinds of questions about the different woods. --- I bet luthiers hate me because I ask so many questions ;)

We need to hear some sound bites from you MP owners :)

I just sent Mike a long email with all kinds of questions about the different woods. --- I bet luthiers hate me because I ask so many questions ;)

LOL awww... but you benefit the uke community a lot with all those questions. Thanks for asking so others don't have to. :)

Top Bottom