Bookmatching ukulele sides

tonewood

Reaction score
This is obviously purely for asthetic value and you would want to use very figured woods but have any of you builders ever bookmatched your sides? I can think of many reasons why you wouldnt but this jpeg shows you what the uke sides would look like where the two sides join at the base. Just a thought.

I suppose you could bend the sides first and join them using the rope and wedges method. One more long seam to worry about, with no acoustic value. I think if I was to undertake something like that, I would use veneers and laminate the sides.

Brad

I've seen it done on guitars. I wouldn't try it (so far anyway). Maybe if you had a good Fox side bender set up where you could re-glue any sections of the joint that separated during bending? Or glue the joint while it is still clamped on the bending form?? I can't see trying it on my hot pipe
I think you'd have to reinforce the joint with an inner veneer or strip to keep it from separating

Don't listen with your eyes.

I'm all for beautiful wood, but it's too often inferior both structurally and sonically to more boring timbers.

I guess if one wants to make ULOs as pretty wall hangings it's great.

ULO = Ukulele-Like Object

Top Bottom