Amp'd Up Dolphin?!

yinyanguke

Reaction score
Anyone out there installed a pu in a Makala Dolphin?
If so, how did it work out and what electronics did you use?

You have to wonder if it's worth it when the pickup costs more than the 'ukulele... The money you would put towards a pickup could be WAY better spent going towards a new instrument. Just my :2cents:

I installed an inexpensive pu in my dolphin. It is actually pretty fun to play at home, but i would not spend a whole lot of money on.

You have to wonder if it's worth it when the pickup costs more than the 'ukulele... The money you would put towards a pickup could be WAY better spent going towards a new instrument. Just my :2cents:

I'm with you Hippie Guy:)

But then again $10 is pretty cheap, but why a dolphin?

Great! Just what I was looking for. I agree it would be foolish to invest much dinero in a cheap uke like this, but 10 bucks; it's doable and
sounds like a kick. As to why, I have an extra dolphin that was given to me by a friend who didn't know I had purchased one, so why not?
Besides all that, Dolphins rock!

Great! Just what I was looking for. I agree it would be foolish to invest much dinero in a cheap uke like this, but 10 bucks; it's doable and
sounds like a kick. As to why, I have an extra dolphin that was given to me by a friend who didn't know I had purchased one, so why not?
Besides all that, Dolphins rock!

That is awesome. They do kinda rock.

For me it depends on what kind of mischief your up to with it. I spent six bucks on a cigar box on ebay and bolted a Lehua long neck soprano neck on it, and that's now my main instrument, after installing an MiSi pick up on it. I chose the MiSi because I have a Mainland with that and wanted to match the output for switching at gigs. For some reason. the CBU has about 30% more output - maybe because the saddle is wider for more contact with the pick up, or the composition of the saddle transfering more vibration thru to it, or both. I was thinking of putting one into a 30 dollar Leolani for kicks. I've dropped lavalier mics in it before and used it for slide. Who cares how the fingerboard plays or intonation? Tune it up slack key with a little slap back and reverb and have at it, I say!

For something like a Dolphin, I would just use a pickup that you actually don't need to install.

I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Profession-...ccessories&hash=item3cbba56f22#ht_2776wt_1037

Super cheap, clips onto the headstock, but sounds like a charm.
Sounds better and cleaner than some cheap undersaddle pickups.
And you can use it on any instrument with a headstock (or similar) to clip onto.

No installation needed whatsoever!

For something like a Dolphin, I would just use a pickup that you actually don't need to install.

I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Profession-...ccessories&hash=item3cbba56f22#ht_2776wt_1037

Super cheap, clips onto the headstock, but sounds like a charm.
Sounds better and cleaner than some cheap undersaddle pickups.
And you can use it on any instrument with a headstock (or similar) to clip onto.

No installation needed whatsoever!

Now, that's something I'm definitely going to buy, if my clip-on tuner can pick up notes, I'm sure this thingy will to.

Mission Accomplished!

Thanks for all the great feedback. I followed ric's post to the Waverly
Street site, and now I've got an amp'd up dolphin, and for less than 10
dollars. Its a real kick and even got the attention of my music/sound
savvy son! So, thanks again, hey, if you've got a spare dolphin in the
pod, amp it up! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Top Bottom