PDA

View Full Version : Amp'd Up Dolphin?!

yinyanguke
11-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Anyone out there installed a pu in a Makala Dolphin?
If so, how did it work out and what electronics did you use?

Brad Bordessa
11-27-2011, 03:13 PM
You have to wonder if it's worth it when the pickup costs more than the 'ukulele... The money you would put towards a pickup could be WAY better spent going towards a new instrument. Just my :2cents:

pwcgecko
11-27-2011, 04:03 PM
I installed an inexpensive pu in my dolphin. It is actually pretty fun to play at home, but i would not spend a whole lot of money on.

ricdoug
11-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Aloha, yingyanguke.

I've put many pickups in Dolphins for less than $10 bucks each. Go to the bottom of this thread for a picture tutorial:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?8560-Electrify-your-uke-for-under-10-bucks/page2

haolejohn
11-27-2011, 06:52 PM
You have to wonder if it's worth it when the pickup costs more than the 'ukulele... The money you would put towards a pickup could be WAY better spent going towards a new instrument. Just my :2cents:

I'm with you Hippie Guy:)

But then again $10 is pretty cheap, but why a dolphin?

yinyanguke
11-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Great! Just what I was looking for. I agree it would be foolish to invest much dinero in a cheap uke like this, but 10 bucks; it's doable and
sounds like a kick. As to why, I have an extra dolphin that was given to me by a friend who didn't know I had purchased one, so why not?
Besides all that, Dolphins rock!

haolejohn
11-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Great! Just what I was looking for. I agree it would be foolish to invest much dinero in a cheap uke like this, but 10 bucks; it's doable and
sounds like a kick. As to why, I have an extra dolphin that was given to me by a friend who didn't know I had purchased one, so why not?
Besides all that, Dolphins rock!

That is awesome. They do kinda rock.

ukecantdothat
11-28-2011, 12:35 PM
You have to wonder if it's worth it when the pickup costs more than the 'ukulele... The money you would put towards a pickup could be WAY better spent going towards a new instrument. Just my :2cents:For me it depends on what kind of mischief your up to with it. I spent six bucks on a cigar box on ebay and bolted a Lehua long neck soprano neck on it, and that's now my main instrument, after installing an MiSi pick up on it. I chose the MiSi because I have a Mainland with that and wanted to match the output for switching at gigs. For some reason. the CBU has about 30% more output - maybe because the saddle is wider for more contact with the pick up, or the composition of the saddle transfering more vibration thru to it, or both. I was thinking of putting one into a 30 dollar Leolani for kicks. I've dropped lavalier mics in it before and used it for slide. Who cares how the fingerboard plays or intonation? Tune it up slack key with a little slap back and reverb and have at it, I say!

kissing
11-29-2011, 01:44 AM
For something like a Dolphin, I would just use a pickup that you actually don't need to install.

I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Profession-Violin-Cello-Clip-Piezo-Pickup-Transducer-/260846219042?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cbba56f22#ht_2776wt_1037

Super cheap, clips onto the headstock, but sounds like a charm.
Sounds better and cleaner than some cheap undersaddle pickups.
And you can use it on any instrument with a headstock (or similar) to clip onto.

No installation needed whatsoever!

ukuhippo
11-29-2011, 02:08 AM
For something like a Dolphin, I would just use a pickup that you actually don't need to install.

I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Profession-Violin-Cello-Clip-Piezo-Pickup-Transducer-/260846219042?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cbba56f22#ht_2776wt_1037

Super cheap, clips onto the headstock, but sounds like a charm.
Sounds better and cleaner than some cheap undersaddle pickups.
And you can use it on any instrument with a headstock (or similar) to clip onto.

No installation needed whatsoever!

Now, that's something I'm definitely going to buy, if my clip-on tuner can pick up notes, I'm sure this thingy will to.

yinyanguke
11-29-2011, 03:32 AM
Outstanding options! Thanks to all.

yinyanguke
12-07-2011, 05:02 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback. I followed ric's post to the Waverly
Street site, and now I've got an amp'd up dolphin, and for less than 10
dollars. Its a real kick and even got the attention of my music/sound
savvy son! So, thanks again, hey, if you've got a spare dolphin in the
pod, amp it up! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

ricdoug
12-07-2011, 04:30 PM
After I watched the video of Dave at Waverly Street ukes I was convinced that he had figured out a quality mod on the cheap, yingyanguke. Nice you found a new bond with your son. Ric