Low G on Lanikai S-T question

D

dhoenisch

I stuck an Aquila wound low G string on my Lanikai S-T. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the string, to put it plainly, sucks. It's too floppy and sounds like crap. Is there a longer settling time or something? Will it get less floppy? Should I just put the high G back on? I was just hoping to have something different to play on a low G uke since I already have a concert and a soprano with the high G.

Thanks,
Dan

Low G

I put a set of low G strings on my Lanikai Tenor and it sounds nice. I used Worth BT-LG Tenor Uke set with Low-G -Brown Strings unwound. I changed all the strings not just one..Do you have the string tuned the way it is suppose to? If it is floppy then I would say that it needs to be tuned up..Maybe someone in a local club or store can help..Let us know how it comes out..Cheers

Shouldn't it be an octave lower than the high G? I tuned it that way. If I tune it up an octave higher, it will be as high as the high G, I believe.

EDIT: Sorry all... I'm an idiot. Instead of one octave lower, I tuned it two octaves lower. That'll teach me to try to tune a uke with a stupid sinus condition settling in my left ear :) Anyhow, problem resolved. Still not sure I like the sound, but I'll give it a few weeks to settle in before I make my final decision.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
Hi..I don't know that much about Low-G but I just tuned it as always..Set your A string first to sound like an A and work your way to the G string. You'll know if you are at the right setting by the way the strings feel, that is how I did it. It won't sound the same as the string is a larger size than the one you took off.

Just slowly start tightening the G string up an octave, if it isn't correct the string will be to tight. That is why I replaced all the strings as I wasn't sure but also I wanted the brown strings on the ukulele. I didn't use the wound strings but it should be the same outcome..Cheers.

Set your A string in tune with another ukulele or A tuning fork.

Put you middle finger on the fifth fret of the G string and pluck the string, it should sound just as the C string when plucked.
Middle finger on the fourth fret the C string should sound like the E string when strumming across both.
Middle finger on the Fifth fret of the E string should sound like the A string when both are plucked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom