Blue Frog Mahogany Soprano #16 on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic D

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230708963102

This is a very handmade soprano #16 ukulele made by me. It has solid mahogany back and sides, Spanish cedar neck with padauk skunk stripe, rainbow poplar headstock veneer and binding, ebony fretboard and rosewood bridge, corian saddle and nut. The frets and abalone dots are from Stewart MacDonald and it's strung with Aquila strings. It has white side markers. The end graft is rainbow poplar with reconstituted stone inlay. The headstock has my Blue Frog (frog hand) logo inlaid with reconstituted stone and the heal cap is also recon stone and ebony. It has Grover friction tuners.

The side shows a bit of a kink in the waist. It doesn't go all the way through and doesn't affect the uke structurally.

My ukes are like snowflakes, each one is different. I use waterbase lacquer wet sanded and buffed and the finish looks decent with an occasional bit of dust or open pore. This uke sounds good like a mahogany uke should. Nice sweet tone.

This uke does NOT come from a smoke free environment so if you're sensitive to smoke this might not be the uke for you. I'm working to remedy that in the near future. Switching to E-cigs till I can kick the habit.

Thanks for looking and Happy Holidays,
--Vic

Attachments

• mahogany3.jpg
    mahogany3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 85
Man, that's pretty!

Do you have a sound sample? I'm really interested in this.

I have Blue Frog #15 by Vic. It plays, sounds, and looks great. I'll never part with it. Whoever gets this one will certainly be pleased...!!!

Thanks for the nice words everyone! This uke sounds a lot like the mahogany Stewart MacDonald soprano which was my first build from a kit. I copied the dimensions from that uke to start with and since then I've tweaked a few things between the StewMac and the Martin Style 1.. with a bit of blue frog mixed in ;) such as radiused top and back, a bit deeper body and slightly larger sound hole, striped neck for strength that'll last and possibly yield better sustain etc. etc... It's not as loud and punchy as my spruce top ukuleles but it has good sustain and that sweet tone that comes from mahogany. I can't do a video right now because I'm stuck on a crummy old laptop that'll barely run a very light OS at the moment.

You guys are the greatest!
Vic

Thread closed since bidding has ended on this item . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom