Strings going bad?...

kegmcnabb

Reaction score
I have long use Aquilas on my Flea and Applause sopranos and have always liked them. However, I have recently encountered some problems and wondered if others had, as well.

Occasionally I will install a string and tune it to pitch only to find the entire string flat when notes are fretted. This usually is immediately noticeable but sometimes occurs a few days after installation. It is the strings and not the ukes as they have always had good intonation. It can be cured by simply putting on a new string.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Also, as this has been relatively rare, I usually just pull a string out of a spare set, but it has happened several times recently. Should I request a refund from my string dealer? Or, should I just change brands?

I like the sound of the Aquilas but I don't like strings going bad.

Thanks,
Craig

It is fairly rare but bunk sets of strings does happen. I've had it happen to me recently on a few sets of Worth strings. I ended up just switching brands, but if you want to stick with Aquilas, I would suggest inquiring about getting them exchanged.

I'm having this exact problem. I've been waiting for an aquila 'A' string to settle in and start sounding good for a couple of weeks. When I tune it to the string below, it sounds fine, but as I go up the neck it gets worse and worse. If it doesn't get better soon I'll have to replace it.

I took the A string off, reversed it, and tuned it back up, and it sounds fine. This is always worth a try before you throw the string away.

Sanagi has the answer... it often works in this case.

I tested a bunch of new Aquila Nylgut strings and while that entire box did not contain any bad strings, it can happen with every manufacturer from time to time. I have a bad Martin string on one uke right now that I will most likely replace. That has never happened with a Martin concert set, but this is a tenor set and the string is a different composition than the other three strings in the set.

Top Bottom