PDA

View Full Version : Size of tenor: 25" or 26"?

cahaya
11-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Hi all,

Could someone explain to me if the size of a tenor ukulele is 25" or 26". I checked the wiki and it says it is 26".

Then I found out some of tenor ukulele that are sold online were 25" instead.

I assume the length of the neck has to be the same. Thus, by shortening overall length by 1", it means they reduced the size of body. If this is true, wouldn't that mean that would affect the sound in a negative way?

hoosierhiver
11-28-2011, 04:32 AM
or a shorter headstock

Pete Beardsley
11-28-2011, 04:33 AM
My understanding is that as long as the scale length is correct (nut to saddle) then the overall body size is not critical, though they should all be similar. Obviously the bigger the soundbox, the more noise it will make!

cahaya
11-28-2011, 04:46 AM
or a shorter headstock

You are right!!! I didn't consider that factor.

My understanding is that as long as the scale length is correct (nut to saddle) then the overall body size is not critical, though they should all be similar. Obviously the bigger the soundbox, the more noise it will make!
You are right when you say the length of neck has to be the same. But I don't understand why manufacturers want to reduce the size of the soundbox. But then again, this may has to do with cost factor.

So, would it be right for me to say then I should go for 26" size tenor ukulele instead of 25" size tenor ukulele?

Gary Gill
11-28-2011, 05:03 AM
Another possibility - does the neck meet the body at the 14th fret? I built have built one at the 14th and one at the 15th. That makes about 7/16" difference.

PhilUSAFRet
11-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Some are 27"

PoiDog
11-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Unless I am wrong (and I likely am) the overall size of the 'ukulele - from okole to top of headstock - is irrelevant in determining whether it's a tenor or not. If the scale (nut to saddle) is 17", then it is a tenor, approx 15" is concert, and 13-14" is soprano.

Or is that just me misunderstanding things?

bigchiz
11-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Just don't get the 25 inch strings for a 26 inch tenor... jk. :D

Pete Beardsley
11-28-2011, 12:03 PM
So, would it be right for me to say then I should go for 26" size tenor ukulele instead of 25" size tenor ukulele?

I don't think you can make a decision based on dimensions, they really aren't that important. You really need to hear actual instruments and make a decision based on individual merits. If you are buying online, then get as much info as you can and take your best guess.

Unless I am wrong (and I likely am) the overall size of the 'ukulele - from okole to top of headstock - is irrelevant in determining whether it's a tenor or not. If the scale (nut to saddle) is 17", then it is a tenor, approx 15" is concert, and 13-14" is soprano.

Or is that just me misunderstanding things?

That pretty much concurs with my understanding as well. Its scale length that determines a ukuleles size not it's overall dimensions.

Manalishi
11-28-2011, 11:03 PM
A tenor I previously owned was 26" long overall:
My Pete Howlett Tenor is 27" so as has been said,
so long as the SCALE length is consistant,nothing
else is important!

OldePhart
11-29-2011, 12:12 PM
...Obviously the bigger the soundbox, the more noise it will make!

Not at all true. Construction details are far, far more important to volume and tonal response than is the box size. My KoAloha longneck soprano will blow most inexpensive concerts and tenors right out of the water.

Now, if you say, "all else being equal, the bigger the soundbox, the more noise it will make" you'd be correct, or at least less incorrect. ;) Theoretically, you could have a soundbox so big that it is effectively a soundboard hanging free, with no supporting sound box, and that would probably produce less volume. Of course, it would be pretty hard to hold... LOL

John