PDA

View Full Version : New Maton Concert Uke

Buddha662010
11-28-2011, 02:33 PM
So i'm very excited... my new Maton Uke turned up in the mail 20mins ago... i've pulled it out & had a twang... its a beautiful instrument...

Absolutely immaculate finish. The Maton guys have done a great job!

Anyone else bought one??

Specifications
Body shape Concert
Soundboard Solid Blackwood
Back Solid Blackwood
Sides Solid Blackwood
Neck Queensland Maple
Headstock Queensland Maple
Fingerboard Rosewood/Dot Inlays
Bridge Rosewood
Finish Satin
Machine Heads G-GOTOH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nickie
11-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Congratulations! It's beautiful...

Buddha662010
11-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Thankyou... so far I'm very happy with it... but I feel bad for my other ukes as I know they will be neglected for a little while.

itsme
11-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Not familiar with that brand, but it looks like a really sweet uke. Enjoy! :)

14twelve
11-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Congratulations! It looks gorgeous. I've been wondering about the Maton ukes.. I imagined they'd be really nice. Enjoy! :)

mm stan
11-29-2011, 03:18 AM
Congrats..on your new Maton concert..Happy Strummings..

roxhum
11-29-2011, 03:26 AM
It is a beauty. It must be an Australian brand and Blackwood must be an Australian local wood? It looks a lot like Mahagony to me. Is is similar to Mahagony? Congratulations!!! I love new uke days.

Trinimon
11-29-2011, 03:29 AM
Looks pretty! Congrats!

Buddha662010
11-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Yep Aussie brand using Aussie Timbers http://www.maton.com.au/index.php

Hmm i dont know much about wood but i personally think it is lighter than Mahogany.

Thanks for the congrats, i'm very happy with it. The workmanship is amazing i cannot fault it at all...truely unbelievable.

I think Maton only made 150 in this model but are possibly brining out more next year.

My mate got No.71, I'm going over to his place to jam tonight to butcher some songs, I'm pretty interested to see the finish of his also.

arpie
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
That is one BEAUTIFUL uke! Can't wait to hear a sound sample!!

Yes, for our American friends ....... Maton is a well known & respected Aussie Acoustic Guitar Maker (and also made some ukes back in the 60s from memory) and only recently got back into making them again!

You'll have lots of happy times playing that little beautie!!

Roberta

arpie
11-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I wonder who got their "Freebie''!?? They had a Facebook competition saying that anyone who 'liked them' during a specific date period, could win themselves the very first 'Newbie' on their production line!! I know it wasn't me - But it doesn't say who got it!!

Someone will be a very happy chappy!

Roberta

Pippin
11-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Not familiar with that brand, but it looks like a really sweet uke. Enjoy! :)

Tommy Emmanuel plays Maton guitars. It is an excellent brand and I have never seen a poorly-built instrument with the name.

Hippie Dribble
11-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Tommy Emmanuel plays Maton guitars. It is an excellent brand and I have never seen a poorly-built instrument with the name.

so does Ben Harper, John Butler, Jeff Martin...they're just beautiful instruments. And, just to lower the tone of proceedings a tad, I've got a 6 string semi-acoustic of theirs too and love it to bits

Pippin
11-29-2011, 11:33 PM
so does Ben Harper, John Butler, Jeff Martin...they're just beautiful instruments. And, just to lower the tone of proceedings a tad, I've got a 6 string semi-acoustic of theirs too and love it to bits

That did it!
Now I have guitar envy. :)

foxfair
11-30-2011, 02:13 AM
These are big figures in guitar world, but how about ukulele virtuoso?
Anyway, next year I'll be in Australia and remember to check Maton ukes out!

Buddha662010
12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Haha the freebie went to a bloke in Germany i believe...lucky duck. check it out on the Maton facebook page :)

arpie
12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
...Haha the freebie went to a bloke in Germany i believe...lucky duck. check it out on the Maton facebook page ...

Thanks for that Buddha!! I was in the running, but got a bit annoyed when nothing 'uke' got put up & pulled out!! :( Silly Billy

Roberta

1300cc
10-09-2012, 11:44 PM
So i'm very excited... my new Maton Uke turned up in the mail 20mins ago... i've pulled it out & had a twang... its a beautiful instrument...

Absolutely immaculate finish. The Maton guys have done a great job!

Anyone else bought one??

Specifications
Body shape Concert
Soundboard Solid Blackwood
Back Solid Blackwood
Sides Solid Blackwood
Neck Queensland Maple
Headstock Queensland Maple
Fingerboard Rosewood/Dot Inlays
Bridge Rosewood
Finish Satin
Machine Heads G-GOTOH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------just had a look today and was told it is a one piece wood for top and side, is this correct

kvehe
10-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Very handsome! Congratulations!

webby
10-10-2012, 01:34 AM
I love mine, I got number 163, nicest instrument I've ever owned.

kissing
10-10-2012, 01:52 AM
I've played this one in store... absolutely want one.
The tone is very much alive, looks sleek and comes with a cool case.

And best of all, as an Australian, I would be proud to have an all-Australian uke.

peaceweaver3
10-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Yum. Reminds me of the beloved Lehua concert that was my first uke. Enjoy!

1300cc
10-10-2012, 09:08 AM
is the top or back one piece of wood?

Pete Howlett
10-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Sadly have been unable to source a good supply of Blackwood. Also found it generally to be inferior tone wise to koa. Others may have a different opinion - this is mine for what it is worth and I don't want to get into a spitting match over it. In fact the last Blackwood instrument I built turned out OK.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Sadly have been unable to source a good supply of Blackwood. Also found it generally to be inferior tone wise to koa. Others may have a different opinion - this is mine for what it is worth and I don't want to get into a spitting match over it. In fact the last Blackwood instrument I built turned out OK.

Pete- Try my former employer- Gilet Guitars
The wood used in the attached pic is from them and they have alot of it.

1300cc
11-06-2012, 11:13 PM
just bought one today, and very light . i can only compare it with my kala mahogany, and maton got sweeter and more volume and got it for less than $500 incl hard case.

anthonyg
11-07-2012, 12:31 AM
just bought one today, and very light . i can only compare it with my kala mahogany, and maton got sweeter and more volume and got it for less than $500 incl hard case.

1300cc. You sent me a PM about the Maton ukulele and I posted a reply but I cant for the life of me see it in my outbox. Did you ever get a reply from me? Apologies if you didn't receive a reply. Its a nice ukulele.

Anthony

1300cc
11-07-2012, 12:56 AM
yes i did.....

anthonyg
11-07-2012, 01:12 AM
yes i did.....

Thanks. Nice to know the system works.

Anthony

BlueLatitude
11-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Yours looks lovely! You must be thrilled!

I went to the site and saw the Waiata Ataahua guitar and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, would love that in a ukulele!!!

scatcat
01-24-2014, 01:25 AM
Hallo, can someone tell me the measure of the nut of a maton concert? I can't find the mesusre online. The neck and the nut of this concert is wide like kanile'a or kamaka or smaller. Is comfortable?
Thank you.