Have You Tried...

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Mixed strings? I am loving the worth browns on my tenors but the C just feels too slinky. I was thinking about just using the C from a string set. Anyone doing this? input?

I've mixed strings before, but not that particular combination. If you like the sound better, go for it.

Thought I would throw an update on this one. Never a fan of the large aquila C string I tried a worth brown with the aquilas and the sound was too un even. So I put the fremont blacklines on, that C string introduced buzz so I tried a worth brown on the C, that one felt too slinky with the fremonts. Finally I put a worth brown strong on the C, other three still fremonts, So far so good, enjoying this combo very much.

I should mention this was all on my kala travel tenor.

No doubt in my mind that mixed sets have the potential for the best sound. At one time, I did "custom sets", tailored to the instrument and playing style. No single material set can sound as good as a well done custom.

Here's our page on string selection that outlines the process:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/selection.htm

Follow these principles and you can tailor a set to your liking. Guitar strings of all sorts are available as single strings. Be aware, however, that to get it right takes a lot of time, a lot of trial & error, and usually a significant expense in all the "research" you do.

Our sets are all of mixed materials, and we think that makes them better balanced, both in tone, tension and playability, than anything out there. Still, if you can spend the time to "tailor-make" one for your particular taste and need, that's the best of all.

Top Bottom