What case style do you have?

This: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/UCS21-BL.htm
UCS21-BL_case.jpg

And my gigbag that came with my eleuke. Oh and I just throw my Oscar Schmidt around...it doesn't have a case, lol.

I carry around my Kamaka soprano in a cheap Hohner gigbag. :eek: Still in the mindset where "$80 can get me a case...or it can get me another uke!"

I have the tweed one that Seeso has, it's a really nice hard case with wine colored plush. Be careful of those latches, probably put a nice gouge in your uke if you are careless when casing your uke. It comes with a locking latch and key, which I guess would be good if you got kids around. The lock is probably not much of a theft deterant after all, any theif would just grab the whole case.

I also have the protec cases that work pretty well and no metal latches to worry about. Shoulder strap makes for easy carry, especially when traveling and your hands are full. The protec case also has a nice pocket on the outside for sheet music, cellphone, wallet, etc. Had my protec for 10 years and still holding up well.

This is going to sound bad, but the cases in our store are actually really good. We only stock the best quality stuff we can find so if you're looking for a case, might be worth while to check out that one.

There's nothing like a hard case to put your mind at ease that your tool is protected! The one in the store looks like a winner. Fremont cases sold by MGM are great too. Just make sure your ukulele will fit before you buy :D

My favorite cases are those generic looking zippered canvas-covered polystyrene cases - real lightweight, physically protective enough for most purposes, and they offer more thermal protection for your instrument than the multi-plywood cases do.

If I need more physical protection, then I go for the Pro-Tec heavy duty cases. Same thermal protection as the polystyrene cases above, but the Pro_Tec's also have a thin plywood shell on the top and back in addition to the polystyrene core. Pro-Tec cases are failry heavy.

I use clay humidifiers and hygrometers in all my cases. I've noticed that I have to replenish the water in the humidifiers much more often in the plywood hardshell cases than I do with the polystyrene ones above.

Both the generic lightweight and the Pro-Tec cases also accommodate larger bodied ukes than many of the hardhsell ones do. Fremont cases, for example, only fit traditionally sized small-bodied ukes like Martin's or Kiwaya's. Also, plywood hardshell cases are not created equal! Fremont cases for example are realtively lightweight and use thinner plywood than DATT cases, for example. If you sit on a Fremont case, it will deflect and possbly harm your uke!!! An archtop case will typicaly use 5-py plywood and will not deflect if you sit on it. So not all plywood hardshells offer the same amount of physical protection. The strongest plywood cases are ones with an archtop.

I would have no hesitation in sitting on my ProTec polystyrene case. The combination of a light layer of plywood with the thick polystrene core make this a very strong case!

A friend of mine has an Ameritage plywood hardshell case that is real nice and very very expensive. It offers the utmost in physical protection because it uses a full suspension sytem (like you see in real high end violin cases) in which no part of the instrument is touching anything in direct contact with the outside of the case - these cases can get dropped from several stories high and your instrument won't be harmed. The Ameritage cases also have a real good built-in humidifying/dehumidifying system that is very cool if you actually use the system the way it is intended (i.e., it requires monitoring). But it doesn't do the thermal protection thing that the polystyrene cases do, and those Ameritage cases are HEAVY as heck!

Last edited:
i've just got the zipper/canvas/foam case for mine, which works just fine for most uses and is light as a feather. I would upgrade if I had to take it on a plane though.

I have a soprano and I travel a fairly good amount. I have a Gator case for the travel times--it's really sturdy and I don't have to worry about it when it's in the overhead bin and somebody tries to stuff their roll-aboard carry-on into the same overhead. The case isn't real lightweight, but we put a strap holder on it and now I can carry it over my shoulder. Unfortunately, the Gator doesn't fit *every* soprano, but it does fit most of them...

Yes, you don't want to have the

(and I know, I need a UU sticker on it--one just arrived in today's mail with my new UU t-shirt so I'll stick it on the case tonight)

Attachments

• case1.jpg
    case1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 51
The case isn't real lightweight, but we put a strap holder on it and now I can carry it over my shoulder.

May I ask...how did you attach the strap holder? I have a hard case that I want to take on a trip with me because it is the best protection for my uke, but while dealing with other luggage, a strap would make it so much easier.

I've been trying to figure out how to do exactly what you did to your case...any advice would be much appreciated!:eek:

After MUCH searching, I have decided that for the money the Ko'olau (and their more generic-sized O'ahu) cases are the best I can get. I don't have a problem with the quality or sturdiness of the styrofoam cases, but I don't like the zippers and they seem bulkier. Kala's hard cases are nice (I have a soprano that came with a uke I bought from MGM), but the Ko'olau hardware is a little more heavy duty and the price not that different.

Our own GX9901 covers a bunch of different cases in reviews:

http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2008/03/case-study-part-1.html
http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2008/03/case-study-part-2.html
http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2008/03/case-study-part-3.html

Mine is an Ameritage tenor hard case similar to the kala one in the previous thread:

3.jpg

I've been considering buying the case they make for fleas:

Flea%20hardcase%20DET.jpg

Does anyone know of any other good cases that fit the flea? Or do you have any experience with this case to give any feedback?

I've been considering buying the case they make for fleas:

Flea%20hardcase%20DET.jpg

Does anyone know of any other good cases that fit the flea? Or do you have any experience with this case to give any feedback?

I don't have any personal experience with those cases, but they are made by Gator. Gator makes high quality guitar cases, and I have one of those and like it.

Top Bottom