Don't you hate it when...

dave g

Reaction score
... stuff like this happens?

mistake%20002.jpg

The sides are macore, which is really hard & brittle stuff. It just didn't want to go back in the mold...

I'm doing two identical ones at the same time. The other I just clamped down to a flat board to glue the back on and let the sides do whatever they wanted :D

I'll salvage this one but it might end up being a "second" or perhaps a Christmas present for a family member.

Sure is easy to sand the tops & backs though!

I am surprised at this Dave - I built my very first acoustic instrument from this wonderful wood sometimes known as African Cherry. I found it worked easily, bent well and was not the least bit brittle. I think it's a great colour substitute for mahogany and is a superb tonewood. I have a few sets of fiddleback which I won on ebay 6 years ago.... most of the stuff thaty comes up now has a wide waterfall style figure which is too 'big' for ukulele otherwise I'd be using more of this.

Well it *does* bend easily when hot & wet, but cold and dry not so much :( It's hell on saw blades too - due to it's high silica content, I read somewhere. Beautiful stuff though.

I did a bar, back-bar, reception desk, and elevator interior in custom made, tight flame makore about 25 years ago for Campton Place in San Francisco. One of the trades people on the job was mad about something or other...we came in close to the end of installation, and found major knife slashes in the makore paneling in the elevator. Luckily, I'd ordered one extra sheet...at over $100.00 per 4 x 8 x 1/4"...in 1984 bucks. Can't imagine what that stuff would cost now.

Nah - the repair is lookin' good. Don't worry - I burn plenty of stuff that isn't ukulele quality. I heat the shop with that stuff in fact :D

Dunno, but guitars don't.

I'd say finish building it then decide to burn it or not.

The cracked side repair turned out really well - it's really not visible at all unless you know where to look. But somehow or another I managed to make the neck crooked in relation to the body; badly - the bridge would be off center by about half an inch! So I used the thing to practice a french polish finish. Turned out ~OK, but I think I'll stick to lacquer. I may cut the thing in half down the center line and make a conversation piece out of it - haven't decided yet :rolleyes:

The repair looked great when I saw it. Sorry to hear that the alignment of the neck will keep this one from being finished. It would have been interesting to see if the repair affected the sound in any way. I'm guessing not. Split down the middle would definately be a conversation starter.

The cracked side repair turned out really well - it's really not visible at all unless you know where to look. But somehow or another I managed to make the neck crooked in relation to the body; badly - the bridge would be off center by about half an inch! So I used the thing to practice a french polish finish. Turned out ~OK, but I think I'll stick to lacquer. I may cut the thing in half down the center line and make a conversation piece out of it - haven't decided yet :rolleyes:

It's strange how "Lemon ukes" progressivly develop more and more problems as you continue the build.. Maybe it's a phycological thing..I told you to burn it at the start :D

It's strange how "Lemon ukes" progressivly develop more and more problems as you continue the build.. Maybe it's a phycological thing..I told you to burn it at the start :D

That's very true. I have found that most of the time it's obvious they are going to be bastards from the beginning when you still have a chance to cut your losses and start over.

Top Bottom