Neck question

Nickie

Reaction score
This is probably a silly question. A friend of mine told me it is. But I can't resist asking it here.
If I make a fool of myself, so be it, been there, done that.
I have a new uke, and I love it. I've hardly touched my old one since I got it.Except - I have been having uncomfortable sensations in my left hand. I do play more now. So I checked the difference in the necks of both uke. The new uke has a fatter neck, and sometimes hurts my thumb on the inside, like hitting a nerve when I change chords. The NEVER happened on the old uke.
Okay - what I want to know is, can the neck of the new uke be filed down to the same size as the old one, without damaging it? Or could my technique be so bad that....?

Have you been playing more barre chords?
They can get crampy, esp if you're gripping too hard.

If I were you, I would not rush to re-carve the neck. Peewee makes a good point, you are probably gripping too hard. Also, it sounds like because of the shape of the new ukulele neck, you are gripping it in such a way that the pressure is on the knuckle of your thumb to a greater extent than it had been. You need to position your left hand so that the pressure is on the pad of your thumb. It may feel funny at first, but you will acclimate in a short time.

Years ago, I thought I would teach myself to play classical guitar. I struggled along on my own for a while, but eventually reached a seemingly insurmountable technical plateau. I could not play certain pieces fast enough, as fast as they were meant to be played. No amount of practice seemed to help. I decided to take some lessons. The first thing my teacher addressed was how I was holding the guitar. My thumb was wrapped around the neck too much, as I am suggesting may be the case for you now. Additionally, I was holding the guitar on my right knee instead of my left. Making those changes did feel weird for a few days, but once I got used to it, I could play faster and cleaner.

Thanks, guys! I will try to mend my ways before I take the grinder to my neck! I'm kidding, I live about 3 miles from the LoPrinzis' shop.
I'm playing the other uke tonight, doesn't hurt much... go figure. Maybe my thumb is feeling guilty for having neglected it for a week...

Aloha Nickie...
Here's an metaphor...If I buy a car with an manual transmission and I keep grinding gears, I wouldn't go to the transmission shop and tell them to put in a automatic transmission...It is
always cheaper and faster to get another car... sell the uke and get a thinner neck for comfort and playability...return if you can...

Thanks. Stan, you may be right, but it would pain me to no end to send this new uke back to Mim. She took such pains to get me the right one, it took three weeks, and lord only knows how long it would take if I started over! I'm working on correcting my technique, as suggested above, and playing for shorter sessions, more breaks for my hands... it seems to be helping a little.

The real issue may be the action at the nut is too high. You might be surprised at how much even the slightest difference will affect the pressure required.

You should see how I feel when I go from playing a soprano uke, to my classical classical guitar... It feels gigantic :)

Top Bottom