Tubas in the Moonlight

John Kavanagh

Reaction score
This has been one of my favourites for ever. I've been in two bands, playing bass, where this was the one number where I got to get out front and sing lead, and play uke. It's sort of my local signature tune, I'm not sure why, except it is really an oddly appealing old-time style tune, by Rodney Slater of the Bonzo Dog Band. It sounds like a 20s tune, but it's not.

When our friends Rob and Heidi were over awhile ago we taped part of our picking party. Heidi was unfortunately working the camera, so we missed our second uke player.

Tubas in the Moonlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okmt8ycSWZA

Sounds good John. Maybe the mods will move this down into the videos section with the rest of the videos.

Is that a Harmony baritone you are playing?

Top notch job, gentlemen! Lots of fun. And yes, Dom's right. This thread belongs in the video section, so I'll move it there now...

Sorry, didn't see the vid section. I'm new to this forum.

It is a Harmony baritone, or at least it started life as one back in the late 60s. I've had it hot-rodded, mostly with a new spruce top, and string it as a tenor - I think of it as a long-scale tenor. It's what some people call the "Canadian" tuning, D with a low 4th: ad'f#'b'.

Ahh... nice! I have a soft spot for this type of songs and performers. It's like a warm blanket of comfort. No sorry, I just like the sound of you guys.

And man, do you make me want to grow my beard back. Ah, the good old days. Got to ask the wife though...

Oh yes, welcome to the Underground, John.

Sorry, didn't see the vid section. I'm new to this forum.

It is a Harmony baritone, or at least it started life as one back in the late 60s. I've had it hot-rodded, mostly with a new spruce top, and string it as a tenor - I think of it as a long-scale tenor. It's what some people call the "Canadian" tuning, D with a low 4th: ad'f#'b'.

That's right. I remember reading this on another forum some time back. It just didn't register at first. Funny how that happens later in life.

Top Bottom