So, I'm heading out to travel again...

Reaction score
And I'm a bit-ish low on funds. I will be continuing to make money before I head out, but I just realized I need/want a lot more stuff than usual. Gonna try and kick it in Labrador, Canada for a bit this time around.

So anyways, I need a new uke for this trip, as my current one has... seen better days. Plastered with many stickers, the electronic guts are rattling around a good bit, etc. It's just a Lanikai LU-21 CE, very beginner.

I'm wondering what I should get? I want something better, but with a reasonable price tag considering all the other junk I need to buy. Something that rewards me with a better sound, and will sound pleasant to my audience, as I will be busking a lot.

I was thinking about the Pono MT: http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/pono-mt-mahogany-tenor-ukulele-satin

If you have any other suggestions from around the 200 to 300 mark, I will love you.

I'm assuming you'd want laminate since you will be outside in Canada in winter right?

I have a Pono (different model) coming in the mail later today. I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives. I've heard really good things about Pono, but this will be the first one I've every played. I know they are made by a smaller factory with a few select builders and quality is supposed to be much higher than other factory ukes.

I just got my Pono in. It's a spruce top with maple back and sides and a slot head. Construction quality is top notch for a factory uke. The tuners aren't that great, but not bad either. The neck is a little thicker than my other Tenors, but not an issue. Good finish and the sound is very nice. Very clear and well defined. It doesn't compare to my Ko'olau (and no one should expect it to) but the quality of sound is along the same lines.

Top Bottom