Dük Ladybug, Auction...

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is one of my Dük Ladybugs. In fact, this was my 3rd mini uke built. It is Dük serial #3. This is one of 4 "special" ukes I built in the begining of my Aphid/Lady bug builds. A select few (4) were built with a special wood for it's bridge. The bridge is rosewood, that is twice reclaimed. It started out it's usefulness 100 or so years ago as a railroad tie. It was then reclaimed and used as flooring in a mansion, when it was reclaimed a 2nd time. I was luck to get a small portion of this very old growth rosewood, and I made 4 of my original build Aphids, and Ladybugs with bridges made from that special wood.

Anyway, this is a Mahogany Pineapple mini. Rosewood fretboard & bridge, bone nut & saddle, rosewood headstock veneer with Abalone Dük logo, MOP dot markers. Ebony tuners. It is strung with Jasper Happy colored strings. I like these with the minis because they are smaller diameter than most soprano strings and simply fit it better. If ya aren't familar with my Aphid and Ladybug, it is a Mini Uke, with a 6.5" playable and tunable scale. It is a total of 10" long, and fun as heck to play. A real conversation starter. It is challenging, but, it can be learned to actually play it. There are only 5 Aphid/Ladys to date. I will start production of a few more come spring and I get into my new shop. But, for now, this is it.

I am trying to find a price point for these. I sold a few of them for $100. Everyone that has one said I should be getting more for them, because they cost me about that to build them. So, I need to figure out what I am going to price these at when they are built again. I am starting this out at $150 today. I will cut one dollar from the price each day until it is sold. Tomorrow, the price will be $149. the next day, $148 and so on until someone commits. The days price will be on the bottom of the page, and it includes priority US mail to the lower 48 states for free. Off the mainland, there will be a small postage charge.

P1060115.jpg
shown with Ohana SK-35 soprano for scale.

Today's price $149, SOLD postage paid to lower 48

Last edited:
aaah, lovely Tony...not sure how long I can resist one of these beautiful little baby's of yours... :)

Aloha Bruddah Tudorp,
What a beautiful uke and a great price.....you probally are not making much money at that price...I am tempted too...but I got too many ukes...I am trying to resist ..and it's getting so hard..

Its just a good thing I make them because I love to. I never plan to do the mass production thing. I make these one at a time. If ya add my time in, basically, it's free. They cost me without "time" about $80 to make, plus $5 to ship, so I only make about $15 before I add my time to it, which is added up about 12 hours maybe. So, thats about .80 cents an hour. Not too bad (for 1904), lol.. But again, it's not about money making with me, basically because I aint got no money, so I'll never miss it because I never knew what it's like to have it... hahhah

I'm just glad the aphids and ladybugs are too small for me to play - my hands would be so cramped up if I tried!

So I'll wait until you make a concert or a tenor, Tony.

Especially if you use domestic woods...

BTW, it is good to see you posting again. I know things have been rough, and I' hope they are getting better.

-Kurt​

I am planning on building a Concert, and a long neck soprano this spring/summer actually.

Dropped a buck for the day..

I would like to see something roughly the size of the kala pocket or slightly smaller/larger, if we are taking build requests...lol

I am planning on experimenting with different sizes myself. I won't go any smaller than the Aphid, but, want to do something between Aphid side, and the size of Ohana's sopranino (sk-21). I am thinking something like a 9" or 10" scale. Also a long neck soprano, and a tenor scale concert.. I want to play with stuff that ain't available anywhere else.. I'm weird like that.. lol

PM sent Suzu... ;)

Its just a good thing I make them because I love to. I never plan to do the mass production thing. I make these one at a time. If ya add my time in, basically, it's free. They cost me without "time" about $80 to make, plus $5 to ship, so I only make about $15 before I add my time to it, which is added up about 12 hours maybe. So, thats about .80 cents an hour. Not too bad (for 1904), lol.. But again, it's not about money making with me, basically because I aint got no money, so I'll never miss it because I never knew what it's like to have it... hahhah

Man, I absolutely dig this attitude! Good for you, brah. This is about as 'ukulele a philosophy as I can imagine.

Tudorp, that mini uke is absolutely gorgeus! the price is great too!:)

Don't pass this up. i have one and i love it. these minis are very high quality and are made with great quality. Tony is great to work with too! i believe there were about 40 emails back and forth during the building process of mine.
Even if you don't think you can play it, it'd make a great gift or wall hanger =]

Thanks Aaron, I had been planning to drop you a note and ask how you are enjoying yours... Lets see some pictures of you with it..

Don't pass this up. i have one and i love it. these minis are very high quality and are made with great quality. Tony is great to work with too! i believe there were about 40 emails back and forth during the building process of mine.
Even if you don't think you can play it, it'd make a great gift or wall hanger =]

Thanks Aaron, I had been planning to drop you a note and ask how you are enjoying yours... Lets see some pictures of you with it..
today is definitely not a day to take pictures =p. im a bit under the weather(been in bed all day), but ill take some and put them up soon.

loy krathong waves his hands in the air.jpg

I am building a ukulele stash for my new baby boy.,

Here he is celebrating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom