Please define art. . .

It just goes to show you, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Last edited:
So that's what would happen if the Phantom of the Opera gave up the organ and started playing ukulele.

N8941-Phantom-of-the-Opera.jpg

JJ

WOW.... more to the posts than the Uke.... I'm sure thas how some folks feel about my Flea too....

For me the nice thing about art is that it can't be defined.....
"It's art if I call it that and trash if I say it is" by some guy

I guess some folks would call Pollocks painting "Spilled paint not art"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Pollock

Some would say that anyone can be an artist, and if they claim it is art, then it is art. It might not be your particular cup of tea, but its art nonetheless. I don't think it looks THAT bad. It doesn't look sexy, but it doesn't look ugly to me. It just looks different. I'd like to hear it, that matters more to me.

good from far, far from good.

I don't think it looks THAT bad.

Oh, come ON Dane!
For starters, take a look at (I hope this works)
http://i1.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/0d/17/dcd3_0.JPG

You're telling me that the saw bites into the slotted headstock don't look that bad?

Okay, no offense meant directly to you - I know, a little emotion in that statement (because, 8 grand, give me a break). I'm usually the last one to criticize people's work, although I'd LOVE to about one particular builder, simply because he's a dick, has no class, and has a LOT of people fooled. Fortunately for him, his builds are, actually, solid, with good joints, sound and playability - most anything you could ask for in a build. BUT, there's no soul, no mana, and for that, his builds are worthless. While one data point does not make a trend, what he did one night in Huntington Beach will not be soon forgotten. And this didn't happen to me - happened to very good friends of mine (and a lot of yours here as well). I'll probably come back and edit this out.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. Back on track. . .when I said this was a test question, I wanted to see how nitpicky people would get.

Okay, if the headstock didn't get you, somebody please comments about the saddle. Anybody?

Gotta love the Tangi-ish logo.

it really looks like something he effed up on, and said "screw it, lets make it sound like art." im all for originality, but thats a just little lazy to me.

Well, doing a search I can't seem to find his website that would have pictures of his other "reserve" status ukuleles. Zippo, knotta. I don't think I could ever claim that one of my instruments had "the combination of volume, intonation, sustain, balance, and tone is perfect." I don't believe there is such a thing. Definately something to shoot for but I don't think it will happen for me in my lifetime.

Bottom line, art or not, most people will probably place this in the ugly category regardless of how it plays and sounds.

Here's a test question, seriously.

What's wrong with this thing (I can't bring myself to call it an instrument)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Takeo-Ukulele-T...ryZ16224QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$8000?? That guy has been smoking FAR too much....

I'd rather get a custom uke from a good luthier then buy a couple of Kamakas and use them to beat some sense into that guy.

EDIT: miserable bastard who gave me negative rep for this, at least have the decency and balls to leave your name. Coward.

Last edited:
Oh, come ON Dane!
For starters, take a look at (I hope this works)
http://i1.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/0d/17/dcd3_0.JPG

You're telling me that the saw bites into the slotted headstock don't look that bad?

Okay, no offense meant directly to you - I know, a little emotion in that statement (because, 8 grand, give me a break). I'm usually the last one to criticize people's work, although I'd LOVE to about one particular builder, simply because he's a dick, has no class, and has a LOT of people fooled. Fortunately for him, his builds are, actually, solid, with good joints, sound and playability - most anything you could ask for in a build. BUT, there's no soul, no mana, and for that, his builds are worthless. While one data point does not make a trend, what he did one night in Huntington Beach will not be soon forgotten. And this didn't happen to me - happened to very good friends of mine (and a lot of yours here as well). I'll probably come back and edit this out.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. Back on track. . .when I said this was a test question, I wanted to see how nitpicky people would get.

Okay, if the headstock didn't get you, somebody please comments about the saddle. Anybody?

Gotta love the Tangi-ish logo.

I don't think it looks that bad, I just think it doesn't look eight grand good. It looks like if your friend was just getting to the point of being good enough to experiment a bit and went way overboard.

As for what he did on some beach somewhere, I don't know this guy from Adam. If you just wan to have some thread trashing someone I've never heard of, feel free-- but keep in mind most people here probably haven't heard of this person, either.

Top Bottom