Violele

LOVE it! Can we get some build details?

Nice work. I love these "off the wall" ideas for Uke builds.
I'm off to find a cheap violin on ebay! ;) :D

When will Paul McCartney get one?

Looks and sounds awesome.

Don't get me wrong it's interesting, and cool, but having played violin as a child somewhow if feels a bit weird.

Violins are so expensive, that it just feels... Weird to see it as a uke.

It is cool though,

Yikes! As a builder and repairmen of violins also, I hope no quality violins are destroyed making these.

I would say a violin body has been saved, not destroyed. I've got a violin shaped ukulele design drawn up... it's going to be wicked and its name is The Bride. I don't understand the discrimination... If people who make ukes hold guitars or violins as more worthy instruments then why are you building ukuleles? Just capturing some cash from a trendy market? I think this violin uke sounds and looks spectacular... nothing was wasted or "destroyed" at all.

Ukuleles are not a "novelty"... I can't believe I heard that from a so called "pro" recently. They are musical instruments and should be respected as such.. especially if you're going to build and sell them.

Last edited:
F-hole tattoo on your arm?

Vic d dont get me wrong I think it is super cool, it's just that typically violins and classical guitars are quite expensive while most ukes are quite affordable.... So it just feel a bit weird.

I love my ukes, and in fact I cannot believe that 1/2 dozen beautiful ukes cost as much as my one classical,guitar.

I wish other beautiful instruments were as affordable as ukes.

I was not discriminating at all. I think it is awesome, just feels a bit weird that is all.

I like your thought... The saving of a violin.

And the one shown here sounds wonderful. I hope to see your "bride" here when it's done.

It's all about music, all good.

OMG! Now THAT is unique! Great talking point when attending a uke group! Amazing!

Roberta

It's not a million miles from an archtop Guitar. Not all Violins are expensive or indeed precious, plenty of very cheap ones to go at if you really wish.
Years ago I bought a second hand one for £10 for the sole purpose of practicing doing repairs. It was junk but it had a solid Spruce Top.
I wonder if the Soundpost is still in there? If so it might be worth trying it without or putting in another bass bar - or rather a treble bar.
I'm not sure I would have gone to the trouble of stripping the finish. I know they can be glossy but it would have looked better just by dulling/wearing the original finish. Stain directly on to wood can get a little patchy - especially Spruce on a carved top.
Why is the bridge so far north?

Last edited:
Top Bottom