Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Never, Never leaves the house

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

elisdad

Reaction score
I take 6-10 business trips each year, typically a week or less. I enjoy taking my uke with me to play in the hotel. In many cases, I end up taking my EleUke. I am curious to see how many folks travel with their "nice" uke. "Nice" is your definition, it could be a Kamaka, Koaloha,Mainland, whatever you think is your nice uke.

Last edited:
This year I've travelled more than 8 weeks, and usually bring my Kanile'a concert. Since I sold it after buying a Kamaka concert recently , I guess that I will just bring the kamaka w/ me next time.

Totally depends... on where, for how long and even how many bags I already have to take. Generally, I take my Pono MPTSH because it's built very solidly but lately it's been Kamaka all the way. I find the trips more enjoyable if I have my #1.

Although I have reverted a couple of times to throwing my old Hilo or no-name sop in the suitcase surrounded by clothes just to have something to play. Interesting observation though, 9 times out of 10 other travelers will want to see my violin when they see the case.

Depends on where and how I'm going. If I drive, I usually take a nice one or 2, when I fly I like to travel light with only a carry on so I just take my dolphin sandwiched between my clothes in the suitcase.

I don't travel a whole lot, just a couple times a year, but I can't imagine *not* bringing one of my Kamakas when I do (even though I own a "travel" uke - that one is my beach uke). I would miss it too much if I left it at home!

My custom comes with me to work every single day. I worry about hurting it, but the reality is, I cannot bring myself to play my Lanikai unless I have no other choice. Bradford Donaldson spoiled me with my "Hugs and Kisses" Uke.

My Ovation/Applause acoustic/electric soprano's been around the globe. I also take a Traveler Ultra Light acoustic/electric guitar:

Ukulele530.jpg

TravelerUltraLight1.JPG

TravelerUltraLight2.JPG

TravelerUltraLight3.JPG

I will typically take my Concert rosewood fretboard Flea.

It's totally durable, and I don't have to worry about humidity, etc... although it doesn't sound nearly as nice as my G-string or KoAlohas...

Sometimes I think... Life is short, maybe I should just take my G-string and if it gets beat up, broken, so be it... it's meant to be used!

Cheers,
Skottoman

I've taken all my ukes everywhere I go, whether it's in the travel trailer to the mountains or down to the beach in Santa Cruz to jam with the Sons of the Beach. On a plane I carry one on and hold it in my lap.

Always

Planes, trains, or automobiles usually have one of them with me. Traveling around Asia always tons of downtime to get in some playing.

When i leave my house i always have one of my ukes with me. If im just going around town or a friends house i usually take my kala.
But when i go over to Santa Cruz or anywhere out of state my mainland pineapple goes along for the ride, and its always fun to play the pineapple on the plane.
Its the newest of my ukes but its been to coast to coast already.

I travel quite a bit, always with a uke and prefer to travel as light as possible. Once I got my custom Ko'olau I no longer played my Kala's. Don't get me wrong, the Kala's are great sounding Ukes, but the Ko'olau is simply in a different league. So soon after I got that, I ordered a nice Pono as my travel uke. It too is not a cheap uke by a long shot, but it was a lot cheaper than the Ko'olau.

When it's a nice and sunny day, i would usually take my lanikai out. When the weather doesn't look so nice, it would have to be my makala.

Get yourself a Captains backpacker..it is great sounding and small but has enough volume to enjoy anywhere...it's reasonalbly priced and with a pick up its around 175.. without about 150
check out this link..I bought one concert some time ago...the three picture on the bottom is my uke...you can even get a portable honeytone for 19.99 with battery from Musicians friend,
http://www.captainukuleles.co.nz/backpacker.html

Yep. Ab trimmed highly figured koa Compass Rose tenor. Why not?

Rick, that isn't quite fair. You can just whip up a new Compass Rose if something happens. Us mere mortals would cry for weeks if something happened to such a beautiful instrument.

I have traveled with my Moore Bettah. I used to travel a bunch for work and would usually bring my KPK but began bringing my Koaloha towards the end of that job. Now If I travel difinatly bringing the MB or Koaloha.

Top Bottom