Playing the Winter Concert

mendel

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

A while ago I posted that fellow forum member Danny224 and I were asked to play in the Winter Concert at the school where I teach and Danny is a student. Well, we were going to do Mele-Kalicki-Maka, but it was a bit slow, so the band director asked us to do something the kids would be more familiar with...I'm Yours. Although I do not love the song, I think it makes sense and may generate some more interest in the Uke around school. We already have a decent group of kids playing, so this can only make things better. In addition, another one of my students form last year is a vocalist and he has agreed to sing for us. We worked through it for the first time about a week and a half ago and I will post the YouTube video of it. We found out today that we are also playing Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer. Loads of fun and a good time for all. In the video, our singer is very sick with a horrible chest cold so he struggled in parts when he ran short of breath. He is recovering quite nicely and he sounds fantastic now. Be kind to him- he is a good kid. I give all the credit to the kids, and any and all flaws were surely my own doing. Any comments or feedback you more experienced people can provide is greatly appreciated.

http://youtu.be/bKTkfzCFwds

Dude, his voice isn't going to heal if you make him sing so much! It's like the worst thing you can do to the vocal chords! He's got to got to rest the voice. Voice teachers the world over grasp their throats in sympathy. Yall did a great job, but that poor singer doesn't need to be doing great anything with his voice right now. Get this boy some tea, stat!

He hasnt been practicing with us. He was prescribed medicine and he did his first singing 2 days ago with his vocal coach. He is feeling much better.

You should definitely play the intro 3 - 5 - 3 slide with the 1st and 2nd string if you are playing it in C. Your solo sounds really good so make sure you're amplified as it'll be hard to hear.

thank you! the slide part is super hard to hear when we are on the stage b/c we are all acoustic. We will try it mic'd up and see how it sounds.

Thank goodness he's got a good voice teacher on his side. Everyone, including him, sounded great, but wow that sounded painful too. Back in the day I always managed to catch some SARs going around right before a big recital, or worse yet, a jury. Good luck at the concert, I'm sure it'll be a big hit.

Top Bottom