So, I just became the owner of a Kamaka HF-3

coriandre

Reaction score
And, it's all because of this thread http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?56619-Finally-got-to-try-a-Kamaka
Villafranca, this is all your fault with help from Trinimon and Coolkayaker.

I wasn't even in the market to buy a Kamaka; wasn't even looking at all........that's when UAS struck :D

No one sells Kamaka around here so, I had never seen one in person. I saw an add in the classified for a HF-3 about a month ago. Then, reading the above thread, I figured it was a really good deal and there was no way I could loose money on this even if it was just to buy it and sell it in a few months. I emailed the person offering even lower and, got a reply for a better deal ! I went to see it an WOW.....pictures really dont do justice to these beautiful Kamaka. In less then 10 seconds, I knew it was mine. Owner bought it new from HMS this summer and selling it to finance a Mya Moe. Mint condition and well setup. It is strung with Worth clear low G and sounds amazing.....I might just keep it now. Only now do I understand all the hype about Kamaka and koa :eek:
I have a question though. I am a lefty and will have to get a new nut or modify it. But, I also noticed this ukulele has a compensated saddle !!! This wont work strung for a lefty. Does anybody know if Kamaka sells lefty bridge and nut ?

Here are a few pics of my new tenor....I am floored by it.IMG_0356 (2).jpgIMG_0358 (2).jpgIMG_0357 (2).jpgIMG_0360 (2).jpg

Congratulations! Beautiful! I agree that photos can't seem to catch the full impact of grain and color. Is that purple sheen on the headstock visible all the time or did the camera just catch some special light? When will we hear what she sounds like? :)

I just started watching the Kamaka video someone posted earlier. It shows one of the sons playing left handed, so i'm going to guess Kamaka has nut & saddle to accommodate you.

Aloha Coriandre,
Congratulations on your new kamaka tenor... welcome to the gang... Happy Strummings..have fun and enjoy..

is the bridge glued in? couldnt you just pop it out and flip it?........not sure what to do for the nut though...too nice to be home modding.....

Congrats on the acquisition! Kamakas are special ukes for sure. Check it off the bucket list and enjoy.

@MGM: Hi Mike, it looks like the previous owner did put a compensated saddle on it. So a new saddle is necessary. I'd call Kamaka.

I think I saw that one for sale on Kijiji and did have a discussion with the owner. I had planned on purchasing it but then an unforseen large expense smacked me up side of the head.
Congrats on the beautiful uke!

Congrats on the Kamaka. My Kamaka has blown away my UAS. I just don't see any other uke that can compare, without spending way more money then I can afford. I keep going back to it until it is has become the the only uke I want to play.

It's been my experience that when you're "not looking at all" is when the best deals and the worst UAS strike. Congratulations!

If I were you, I'd call Kamaka and ask if they have lefty compensated saddles. When they started selling all their new ukes with compensated saddles (my pineapple came with one) I wanted to retrofit my other ukes; Kamaka told me they sell their saddles for $5 each. Not sure if there is a lefty option though.

A beauty!! Congratulations and welcome to the Klub!!!!!

I just started watching the Kamaka video someone posted earlier. It shows one of the sons playing left handed said:
I didn't check it yet, but he might just be playing upside down. My instructor is left handed but can play a "regular" uke upside down. He says it's the only way he gets to try all the different ukes out there.

-Gary

Congratulations on your new Kamaka! It's really beautiful. I'm sure Kamaka sells ukuleles to left-handed people, so I imagine kamaka has leftie compensated saddles. A good luthier can also help you.

Congrats on the Kamaka. My Kamaka has blown away my UAS. I just don't see any other uke that can compare, without spending way more money then I can afford. I keep going back to it until it is has become the the only uke I want to play.

I thought you were on the waitlist for Bradford?

It's been my experience that when you're "not looking at all" is when the best deals and the worst UAS strike. Congratulations!

If I were you, I'd call Kamaka and ask if they have lefty compensated saddles. When they started selling all their new ukes with compensated saddles (my pineapple came with one) I wanted to retrofit my other ukes; Kamaka told me they sell their saddles for $5 each. Not sure if there is a lefty option though.

Exactly the answer I got. They will send me a lefty compensated saddle for 5$ plus shipping. They tell me the nut should be fine the way in is.

Top Bottom