George Formby Split Stroke 'soundalike' - first video attempt on new uke!

arpie

Reaction score
Hi guys

Well, I've finally managed to upload a sample of my George Formby style 'attempt' at a few chords that I strung together ....... nothing that GF ever wrote, I can assure you!!

I am still working on the Triple & Fan Strokes ....... but feel I am 'getting there' with the Split Stroke!!

Thanks for watching!

Roberta

Nice strumming Roberta! So "clean and clear"! I wish I had the preciseness that you have. Speed will come now, just push yourself just a little faster for a time until that preciseness returns, then a little faster again and so on.

I found myself getting sick of hearing the "experts" say to "remember that the Split Stroke is the foundation of Formby playing". I guess you have heard that more than once! My thought was "okay, that is well and good, but how do I learn the Fan Stroke and the 'Formby' Triple". I didn't realize that "foundation" was more that a basic strum that you just add the other strokes to. The Fan and Triple's rhythm and actual sounds are also based on the "foundation". You probably knew that, but I am extremely slow figuring-out such. Once I kept that in mind, I was finally able to get the Fan and Triple's timing exactly right. An example: Keep this in mind when trying to "nail" the rhythm and sound of the Fan stroke. Once you feel that you have the stroke pattern down, but it just doesn’t “sound” right, try this: Play the Split Stroke in “C” (the length version of “Down, up, drop, Down, up, drop, Down, up”) without the pull offs. Then immediately play the Fan stroke in “C” TWICE with no break (pinky Down and back, thumb Down and back, forefinger Up) and then an immediate down, up with your forefinger. If your FAN rhythms were correct, it will sound just like the played split stroke. Of course mine didn’t at first but once I was comparing to the correct Split stroke it didn’t take long at all to “get it”. I apologize if you already knew that….

Two questions for you. How do you strum so precise? What hardware/software to you use for recording and up-loading?

Hi guys

Well, I've finally managed to upload a sample of my George Formby style 'attempt' at a few chords that I strung together ....... nothing that GF ever wrote, I can assure you!!

I am still working on the Triple & Fan Strokes ....... but feel I am 'getting there' with the Split Stroke!!

Thanks for watching!

Roberta

WOW!! Thanks guys!! That is HIGH praise indeed!!! I shall keep persevering!! I AM trying ....... VERY trying, at times, according to my husband! :D

Hi Tom .... So "clean and clear"..... he, he, I think my Graham Bird uke is a part of that, to be totally honest - it really chimes! When I first tried it in the shop a couple of months ago, I was amazed at it's clean crisp notes - and the sustain is just gorgeous! (Sustain used to just be a word to me before that - I didn't really know what it meant, as I hadn't heard it, really!)

...Play the Split Stroke in “C” (the length version of “Down, up, drop, Down, up, drop, Down, up”) without the pull offs. Then immediately play the Fan stroke in “C” TWICE with no break (pinky Down and back, thumb Down and back, forefinger Up) and then an immediate down, up with your forefinger. If your FAN rhythms were correct, it will sound just like the played split stroke..... MANY thanks for that big tip, Tom - I shall apply myself to trying it that way & hope to get it better than it currently is! :eek:

...How do you strum so precise?.... Gee, I am not too sure about that one- but I know I did a couple of 8hr roadtrips on my own recently & I only played Formby CDs all the way - I was hearing & dreaming Formby & it was the first thing I was thinking of upon awakening - I sort of just had it going over & over in my brain, that I was humming it & trying to strum it & finally it just came. I think I worked out that there had to be 3 or 4 beats to each 'note' so I just thumped my foot on the ground as a 'metronome' & tried to fit them in slowly at first making sure the highlighted one was emphasised more than the others D U D D U D D U- not sure if that is the correct way to do it, but it was the only way I could ensure that I was getting the first 6 notes into the the first 3 'beat' and the final D U for the 4th beat if that makes sense? The 6 D U Ds are syncopated between the first 3 beats, giving it that 'Formby' sound, even tho it isn't a Formby piece!!

....What hardware/software do you use for recording and up-loading?.... he, he, that was the tricky part!! At the start, I said 'This time .....' as I'd already done the same piece on my Mainland BUC and Kamaka Soprano & my husband's Bruce Wei Tenor & couldn't upload any of them for some reason .....

I have a Mac & I just recorded it with the built in camera which produced a Quicktime video which I then 'exported' to suit the web ..... and instead of uploading the 'mov' version, this time (the 'export' produced both versions), I tried uploading the 'mp3' version & went out shopping!! I came back & it had worked!! :eek:

...Sounding good! It's definitely coming! ... Thanks, AD - it's been a LONG time coming!! LOL I think you have to be a bit 'anal' about it & just stick with it, believing that it WILL eventually come - not sure I'll ever be able to match the speed of YOU guys tho!!

Hi John - I just love watching your vids!! ......when you can do it in your sleep, you can play it as fast as you want to... he, he, in my dreams, I already CAN do it!! LOL

...I can hear you wanting to throw a shake in there when you move from the D7 to the C7..... ha ha & I just thought I'd stuffed that bit up!! LOL

....Just keep repeating it like a mantra.... I think my husband should be dreaming about it too - it is pretty well all he has heard me play consistently for the last 4 months!

Many thanks for the encouragement - I will definitely stick with it & hopefully manage to throw a shake, triple/fan in one day soon ..... intentionally!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Last edited:
I dunno - I think you're about the same as me - I may have a little more speed but you've got some more chord work going on.

Once you've got it the speed comes along. This is my best effort so far. There are a couple of mistakes and I can play it a little faster already since recording it but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM13j7CYvgQ

(Listen for the 'shake' at 0:19 - I quite like that!)

Making up that solid 'quiet uke' helped a lot - I can sit there hammering away at it without upsetting the neighbours/family too much!

Keep it up, you'll put us all to shame!

:)

Last edited:
...(Listen for the 'shake' at 0:19 - I quite like that!).... Very good Gavin! I'll play that one over & over, for sure!!! :) You are much faster than me & at least it is a REAL Formby Piece!

That's a terrific way of practising 'quietly'. Hmmmm that means I need yet ANOTHER uke!!:eek:

Roberta

excellent job Roberta i have been havin a go at the split stroke but i need to practise a lot more than i have been, your uke looks and sounds absolutely stunning, but i am very impressed with your split stroke, you have inspired me yet again

hey Roberta, first of all it's awesome to see you posting some clips here mate...you're so encouraging to all of us it's about time we had a chance to do the same

That Formby style playing I've always admired with an air of awe mixed with despair...just looks so complicated and I'm just not ready to even attempt those different strokes at this point of my playing. To me you pretty much look like a natural buddy, and just looking forward to appreciating your progress. Hopefully it may encourage me too as I adore that style of music.

last, that uke!!! WOW!!! Great choice...Graham Bird...off to google :)

Excellent stuff!!! And what a lovely sounding uke!

I'm still trying to 'get there' myself with this too - so it's great and encouraging to see others doing likewise.

All the best with it!

:)

....excellent job Roberta i have been havin a go at the split stroke but i need to practise a lot more than i have been, your uke looks and sounds absolutely stunning, but i am very impressed with your split stroke, you have inspired me yet again...

Thank you - he, he, I think it sounds better than that 'first attempt' I sent you!! Every day, it gets a little easier - I LONG for the day to be able to play like John/Jnobianchi tho!! Keep on practising, mate! It'll come! THose slowed down ones on youtube are terrific 'aids'. I just need a well setup soprano to be able to do the barre chords tho!

Thanks again Kaizersoza

Roberta

.....That Formby style playing I've always admired with an air of awe mixed with despair...just looks so complicated and I'm just not ready to even attempt those different strokes at this point of my playing. To me you pretty much look like a natural buddy, and just looking forward to appreciating your progress. Hopefully it may encourage me too as I adore that style of music......

Thank you so much Jon - coming from YOU, that is INDEED high praise! :) Can't you see the set mouth & wince when I thought I'd stuffed up on the change to E7 (John diplomatically called it an 'almost shake' .....) he, he, I have a LONG way to go before being totally happy with mastering 'the strokes' but will soldier on!!

Yes, Graham built 10 ukes to the same pattern - using only all Aussie Native Timbers & it is Tassie King Billy Pine for the front - all solid wood. It has a delightful sound & nice low action & just a pleasure to play! Don't tell Keith - I think he thinks it is still the 60s kamaka!! :eek:

Matter of fact - I will take the Kamaka over to Graham & get him to do a proper setup on it too, as I KNOW it can sound better than it does! It is NICE, but I reckon it can be a LOT nicer!! Also, being a soprano, if I can get it playing nicer, I should be able to do the barre chords better in the REAL solos!! Check out some of the slowed down Formby Solos on Youtube - they are terrific!!

Give it a go, Jon - I reckon you'll pick it up really easily! Formby only changed to the Banjo Ukes when he became better known & was playing to bigger audiences, as they PLAY LOUD & PROUD!! They reached the back of the hall, where as the small ukes just didn't!! YOUR ukes would sound BRILLIANT doing Formbyesque (fake Formby!)

cheerio

Roberta

....hi roberta! thank you so much for sharing, i thought the clip sounded great and what struck me the most is how comfortable you looked while doing it. i look forward to more from you ...

Thank you for your kind words, Craig! I am still just a beginner - but determined to get better!! One day ......

Cheerio

Roberta

....Excellent stuff!!! And what a lovely sounding uke! I'm still trying to 'get there' myself with this too - so it's great and encouraging to see others doing likewise. All the best with it!...

Many thanks Ukelad - it is terrific to get the encouragement from everyone to keep on trying to 'get it'! I can sort of 'do the bits' individually but just can't string them together yet in the one piece!! Head down, tail up - back to practising!! No rest for the wicked!

My nephew & his fiancee are with us for a couple of days & I trotted out my 'set piece' and I think they are really excited about the uke as well - he, he, a couple of NEW converts, methinks! :D

cheerio & thanks again

Roberta

Ref "Play the Split Stroke in “C” (the length version of “Down, up, drop, Down, up, drop, Down, up”) without the pull offs. Then immediately play the Fan stroke in “C” TWICE with no break (pinky Down and back, thumb Down and back, forefinger Up) and then an immediate down, up with your forefinger. If your FAN rhythms were correct, it will sound just like the played split stroke.

For clarification of above ref playing the FAN stroke portion, (pinky Down and back, thumb Down and back, forefinger Up) "and back" was not meant to mean "down and back up", it was just refering to the angled backward finger movement. Guess correct way would be to not mention the back angle in this.

Corrected version: "Play the Split Stroke in “C” (the length version of “Down, up, drop, Down, up, drop, Down, up”) without the pull offs. Then immediately play the Fan stroke in “C” TWICE with no break (each being pinky Down, thumb Down, forefinger Up) and then an immediate down and up with your forefinger. If your FAN rhythms were correct, it will sound just like the played split stroke.

Additional comment ref the Fan stroke: Even though the spreading of the fingers before the thumb down and the closing of the fingers before the forefinger up is just for "show", I found it to be helpful in learning and keeping the correct timing.

Reminder to all. I am a beginner also. My comments and suggestions should not be considered the "Gospel". They are based on my learning experiences so far. My Formby style playing is definitely a "work in progress". I should probably limit the comments/suggestions until I get them blessed, but that would be difficult because of the pure excitement factor and because I usually open my mouth before engaging my brain.

Last edited:
I think you sound great. So does your new uke too! I don't have any technical advice because I am just a beginner myself. To my ear your strumming sounds great and clean.. Keep it up!

Many Thanks for that, Tom - I keep trying to get that split stroke rhythm into the triple & fan stroke & just can't maintain it yet in any recognisable format.....yet - god willing, it will come to me in a stroke of lightening - in case that fails, it's back to the old repitition 1000 times again!! Poor Keith!!:eek: Sometimes I sort of think I am 'almost there' and then GORN! Start again! Ah well, if that is the worst thing that happens to me, it ain't all that bad, eh?

....I think you sound great. So does your new uke too! I don't have any technical advice because I am just a beginner myself. To my ear your strumming sounds great and clean.. Keep it up!...

Thanks Fitncrafty - I'll be sticking with it & trying to get the other bits! :) It is tricky tho! They reckon it is like riding a bike - easy once you know how!!:rolleyes:

Happy Days
cheerio
Roberta

Top Bottom