Hand Drums?

Eriquito

Reaction score
Been thinking about getting into some percussion. I really want to play a drum like bongos, congas or maybe a djembe. I have no idea where to begin or what type of drum would be best. Any suggestions for how or what to start playing?

I've also been thinking about adding some percussion to my collection. I've personally been contemplating getting a cajon. They look like a lot of fun, and you can get a variety of bass/snare sounds out of them.

I agree. A cajon would be a great piece of percussion to begin with. There are plenty of quality YT videos too. There are some terrific players. Check out Jen Lowe at boomdrums, for instance.

I play a djembe.....lots of fun and pretty easy to pick up, but long time to be a real master.

Drum circles are always a joy to be in and you can learn a lot very quickly.

Got mine from Wula Drum in NYC

I've got a cajon that I bought a few years ago. It is pretty cool and fairly easy to play. After getting one I then made 2 one for me and one for my son. The one I bought has been in the case in the closet after making the 2.

Bodhrans are fun too. Don't forget those.

although my music likes are eclectic, I favor Hawaiian and Latin (especially old school Cuban and salsa). Before my obsession with the ukulele there was my fixation on congas and bongos. Don't know what the Latin word for UAS would be, but whatever it was, I had it. I finally settled on LP Matador and LP Classics. These are real keepers. Learned most of what I know about the congas from online lessons and DVD's.

I fool around with various hand drums, and I really favor the doumbek and the djembe for playing along with ukes. Although they're different drums, they share a similar shape that allows them to play both deep bass tones and high accents. Although neither one has the snare sound that you can get on some cajons, the djembe's wide tonal range allows you to simulate that bass-tom combination. Here's a really great video of the djembe used as a drumset:

http://youtu.be/TWyOh-hv1Rs

The doumbek, which is played with the fingers, can also simulate a bongo. I've taken the doumbek (also called dumbek, doumbec, darabuka, Egyptian tabla) to kanikapilas, and I've gotten a lot of compliments from the uke players.

Bodhrans are great, as are frame drums in general. Also doumbeks and darbukas.

I've been thinking cajon myself. A friend of mine has played one at full on electric gigs even and it sounds like a whole drum set. I figure it would also serve as an extra seat in the house and a stool for uke playin...

The doumbek, which is played with the fingers, can also simulate a bongo. I've taken the doumbek (also called dumbek, doumbec, darabuka, Egyptian tabla) to kanikapilas, and I've gotten a lot of compliments from the uke players.

The dumbek has a wide range of tones in the right hands. (dum, tek, ka, pop, slap, roll, flam, snap and on)

I have been playing dumbek for many years and whenever I jam with musicians they think it is a great one to accompany guitars, etc.

Plus, middle eastern rhythms for some reason just work out nicely with the blues.

I will have a new uke arriving soon and hope to learn to play that, too!

I use a Meinl Bongo Cajon. No tuning, no humidity worries, light weight. Cost about $50.

DV016_Jpg_Large_445824.jpg

If you find a cheapo bag to carry it in you can put it in upside down and add things like shaker eggs, kazoos, etc.

Here's a pic of my Raquy signature dumbek, likewise impervious to the elements and getting to know her new friend.
i
I learned an awful lot taking a few lessons from Raquy Danziger, and the Cavemen are awesome!

2old and new.jpg

How about some bones, baby!? If you want to be wicked hip and cool, that is.

How about some bones, baby!? If you want to be wicked hip and cool, that is.

Funny you mention those, as I was just watching this vid today where Raquy goes all bones-ninja at about 3:35 in this video, which is a mixture of middle-eastern percussion and WTF.

Top Bottom