Deplenishing the uke fund...Yes we can

haolejohn

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Eller and I am a uke snob:)

I have been saving my money up to get me a custom ukulele (want a MB but will probably go with someone else since I am on a teacher's salary with a new baby and one income) and I had been saving up for 6 months. I literally didn't have very much money (above mentioned issues) but I had a fraction of what I needed. I had dwindled my stable of ukes down from a high of 15 to just two koalohas, one mele, one mainland,one kala, and two dolphins. Each of these ukes were kinda neccessary b/c of their multiple purposes (classroom uke, leanders, home uke, and church uke). But HoosierHiver aka mainland mike aka UWC mastermind offered up some blemished mainland ukes for the UU community. As I mentioned I had been saving up for a custom but as a teacher of little kids I get to see the joy and the impact that music and mainly the ukulele can make with small children.
I have been in a shuffle mode with my district. We have been hit very hard with the economy. So bad that we haven't had a full paycheck since 2009. I started a uke club at my first school and in two years had put a uke in the hands of over 70 students (3-5th graders). I got relocated since I was bottom man in the food chain. I was sent to a new school last year and planned on starting up a new uke club (had a fellow teacher take over the original club) but the wife and I discovered the joys of parenthood. As much as I love spreading the uke joy and being an ambassador of the ukulele I couldn't neglect my fatherly duties so I decided to postpone the uke club until this school year.
Increased class sizes and more staff cuts decided to stay around and I was sent to yet another new school. I talked to my new principal and was informed that it was too late to start a uke club this school year but next year I could. The only problem is what if I get relocated again? I'm not going to worry about that. I started bringing my uke to class and used it for my boys. 3/4 of my classroom is boys and they are very musical. 3rd grade boys break out in spontaneous songs so my ukeing goes pretty well with these boys. I had some staff kids approach me wanting to learn how to play, etc, etc, etc...
HoosierHiver offered up some blemished ukes at a discount so I sent him an email and told him how much money I had to spend. Yes I spent my whole uke fund but I am so excited when i received my multiple mainland blemished ukes(MAHALO Mainland Mike). I do have to do some set ups and some other work but my kids will get ukes in their hands after the christmas break. I have already discussed the play a uke in class incentive (going to use it to foster proper behavior skills).
Now all I need are some tuners and strings.
Sometimes we make plans and it is ok to deviate from them. Am I getting a MB or someother custom anytime soon? No...Am I getting to see children's lives impacted...Yes

Life is good.

Am I getting a MB or someother custom anytime soon? No...Am I getting to see children's lives impacted...Yes

Life is good.

Sounds to me like you won that bargain, brah.

I'll be gald to send you a half dozen sting sets for you students. What size, brand, and your school's address.

Eller .. you rock!

Bill .. thanks for stepping up. I love the generousity of this community.

John, you got the bargain my man. Even you worst playing student with a smile on his face will sound better than any custom anyone could own.

Sounds like the perfect trade off to me, John! Good on ya!

Top Bottom