So many songs to play... what tunes inspire you?

angusdegraosta

Reaction score
So I made a list of songs to play:

Shine On Harvest Moon
Acute Paranoia Schizophrenia Blues
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
Courting in the Kitchen
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
If I Had You
Got Me A Woman
Build Me Up, Buttercup
Wild Mountain Thyme
One Cup of Coffee
I Saw Her Standing There
Witchcraft
Mama Tried
I'm On Fire
Conquistador
The General Specific
Si Tu Dois Partir
Bird Stealing Bread
Rosin the Bow
I Will Survive
When I'm Sixty-Four
Killing Me Softly
I've Got You Under My Skin
When You and I Were Young, Maggie
Home on the Range
Rosalita

I've been at it for a couple of months now with my little red Makala Dolphin. The three tunes I play most often are the old standard "If I Had You" and two tunes done by The Clancy Brothers, "Courting in the Kitchen" and "Rosin the Bow." Oh, and "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" is lots of fun to play. I want to spend a few months getting a few more songs in the repertory before getting a good instrument.

The good news is I can see that happening - learning songs that is. When I played guitar, I never had interest in playing cover tunes, only inventing chord progressions of my own. Now I like playing all kinds of songs, because my fingers don't hurt pressing metal strings, and because it's fun.

Learning different songs and styles is making me more aware of what chords sound good together. I've already invented two tunes of my own - simple, instrumental pieces, but again, fun to play.

I guess I'm just writing to say it's been fun, but let me ask you: what tunes helped open up your music vocabulary? Let me share one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBO_WoZP5RY

This fellow is great. Jazzy chords and seventh chords sound so cool onthe ukulele! I've gotten pretty good at this one and a few other songs as well. I'm having trouble getting the feel of "Acute Paranoia Schizophrenia Blues" by The Kinks, but I think it would sound great on uke. Here they are doing the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgG-Ilvd8GE

Wouldn't an arrangement of something like that sound fun? Anyway, I want to learn more. If you like, share some tunes you like playing - and out of the ordinary songs are always a bonus to mention...

Lately:

Bankrobber (The Clash): My favorite band since I was little---I'm always learning another song by "The Only Band that Matters".

Signed, Sealed, and Delivered (Stevie Wonder): Performed this one at a wedding, right after "You may kiss the bride".

I'm Always Chasing Rainbows (Joseph McCarthy and Harry Carroll): My favorite song in Ukulele Ike Volume 1.

Rainbow Connection (Kenny Loggins): Working out an instumental arrangement for GUISC.

Everything's Alright (Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber): If I can find time to make a video, this'll be my entry in Mim's contest.

Currently trying to learn fingerpicking to Sixteen Tons a' la' Manitoba Hal (the "bluezified for the ukulele" version)

Angus, I like seeing "Conquistador" and "Si Tu Dois Partir" there. I play several Procol Harum songs and a couple of Fairport Convention ones, but not either of those.

I like cover tunes with unusual chord changes that make them fun to play. Plus I listened to a lot of '70s prog-rock and '80s alternative rock, so for decades I've been learning some of those. I tend to shy away from songs that everyone else is already playing, I-IV-V chord songs, and Beatles songs (I've concluded there's NOTHING you can do with a Beatles song that hasn't already been done).

Thanks for all your input! Eugene, I checked out Dr. Bekken and your vids... awesome!

I still haven't figured out Conquistador, but Si Tu Dois Partir isn't too tough... love the way Sandy Denny sings that song!

I'll check out Aldrine and Kalei. Another instrumentalist I'm in awe of is John King. I want to hear the entire Bach album. Those tube clips of his are something. I like instrumental music quite a lot. I'm just amazed I'm beginning to learn how to sing and play at the same time.

Last edited:
This time of year it's "Christmas Eve in My Hometown", "We Need a Little Christmas".

Anytime, it's "Mapuana", "Ku'uipo I Ka He'e Pue One", and (believe it or not) "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips"!

If anyone wants some "Older Favorites" please check my 4shared accounts by clicking the MP3 link below my signature.
Then click on one of the green download arrows. This will take you to a new window. Look for my email address that
looks like this ( rohiguchi (at) gmail.com ). It's normally just below the Title of the song you selected. Click on that
email address and it will take you to a file page where you can select Hawaiian pdfs or Old Favorite pdfs.

Enjoy and keep uke'in',

that frog... hello ma baby hello ma honey hello ma ragtime gal

The good news is I can see that happening - learning songs that is. When I played guitar, I never had interest in playing cover tunes, only inventing chord progressions of my own. Now I like playing all kinds of songs, because my fingers don't hurt pressing metal strings, and because it's fun.
Funny you should mention fingers hurting! I just got a new steel string acoustic guitar yesterday and I haven't played one regularly in years. Boy do my finger tips hurt!!!! I definitely did realize how much I missed playing an acoustic guitar though.

As for uke songs I just learned Jason Mraz's I'm Yours although one of my favorites to play on uke is U2's One.

It's not a song, but a documentary. Has anyone ever seen It Might Get Loud? Watch that, and then you'll want to grab the first instrument closest to your hand and play... anything.

Yes, guitar is always awesome. Has anyone here ever played an Art & Lutherie Ami, Seagull Coastline Grand, or Taylor Baby Mahogany? Wondering about the feel of well-built smaller guitars. I have played baritone uke in the music store. Some of them feel and sound just fantastic, while others are less than stellar. The pickings are slim in music stores sometimes.

By the way, Ralf, I saw your list. Stevie Wonder! "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" brings the funk. I'll have to check out the chords and give it a shot.

Last edited:
Yes, guitar is always awesome. Has anyone here ever played an Art & Lutherie Ami, Seagull Coastline Grand, or Taylor Baby Mahogany? Wondering about the feel of well-built smaller guitars. I have played baritone uke in the music store. Some of them feel and sound just fantastic, while others are less than stellar. The pickings are slim in music stores sometimes.
why not try out a parlor guitar Angus...check ebay, there's often plenty of lovely old vintage ones around...

Down the road, maybe. Right now I'm digging into the uke. Those first two I listed are Canadian-made parlors, more or less decently-priced, which I haven't seen or heard in person yet.

Let me add a cool tune to the pile... song from the 80s called "Break My Stride" by Matthew Wilder. Brings back memories.

Top Bottom