Damn you Koa Pili Koko...

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
So our, D'addario strings came in today. I decided to do some quality control and test the strings out before we put them up in the store so I bought a pack. I took out the KPK to change it's strings. Came off the tuner just fine, then when i got to the bridge it was stuck. I thought I was doing something wrong, so I actually went and watched Aldrine's uke minute on changing strings but no, it wasn't me, it was the uke. The slots for the strings are so tight that it took me a good 5 minutes of prying to get that string out. When I tried to then put the new D'addario string in, the thing is like 5-10 mm too small, it's not even close to fitting in. I tried to put back the original string that was on, that thing doesn't even fit either!

W. T .. F

I guess I need to go out and look for a file or something.

thats messed up, and very strange... maybe they put the strings on the made the bridge :)

Ok, 30 minutes of sanding got the slots big enough. The D'Addarios sound really good on this uke.

Ok, 30 minutes of sanding got the slots big enough. The D'Addarios sound really good on this uke.

was it worth it?

well done with the filing!

when will the strings be in the store? Are they the same ones Aldrine uses?

Ryan, are these the ones you mentioned in a previous thread and which guitar set are these made from?

Ryan, are these the ones you mentioned in a previous thread and which guitar set are these made from?

Actually they're not the set Aldrine uses, but Jake designed the Pro Arte Tenor set from D'addario so I think its the one that Jake uses. I'm going to have to make a video before I put them up in the store because the strings are packaged in guitar string sleeves instead of uke string sleeves.

Those are the strings I use on Both my Kala Tenors And I Realyyyyyy like them alot, they make my KA-T Mahognay BOOM and the Spruce/Maple Sing and Ring....

Actually they're not the set Aldrine uses, but Jake designed the Pro Arte Tenor set from D'addario so I think its the one that Jake uses. I'm going to have to make a video before I put them up in the store because the strings are packaged in guitar string sleeves instead of uke string sleeves.
I believe that would be the J71's from the J46 set. String diameters: A (.028), E (.032), C (.041) and G (.029). Here's an article about the J71 Pro Arte (2007).

488291jpg.jpg

I believe that would be the J71's from the J46 set. String diameters: A (.028), E (.032), C (.041) and G (.029). Here's an article about the J71 Pro Arte (2007).

488291jpg.jpg

That's what I thought until I opened the pack. Each string is packaged in the original classical guitar pro-arte packaging. The numbers on the individual packages don't match the front. plus they're labeled with the guitar string labeling so the strings included are 2 E strings, 1 G string and 1 B string. I'm such a noob I had to call Aldrine to make sure I was doing it right. Actually never mind I just looked at it and it does match but you have to round up.

there are two E strings because one of them is a harder tension than the other. this is the one used for the high G string. since it is tuned a whole tone lower than the other one, while being a higher tension string, the tension should be closer to the other strings (in theory) when it is tuned.

the difference in gauge is so big that you can pretty much eye-ball it. the one that is in the purple package is the odd-ball (high G) string. the rest are your CEA.

I know I'm going to order the wrong thing if I go straight from the D'Addario site. I'll wait till the UU store has them...

I had some issuse when I changed the strings on my KPK soprano. I didn't have any problems removing my old strings but my new strings were just a little big. I kind of forced them in place to make them fit. Luckly I didn't do any damage. Maybe it is a KPK issue.

I don't think it's a KPK issue. I couldn't fit the low G string from a set of Aquilas on my Kamaka soprano because the bridge slot was way too narrow. If I ruin the bridge by filing it, I will cry.

I don't think it's a KPK issue. I couldn't fit the low G string from a set of Aquilas on my Kamaka soprano because the bridge slot was way too narrow. If I ruin the bridge by filing it, I will cry.

I think this one was a KPK issue because I couldn't even get the original string back in once I took it out. I look and the original string was flattened like someone pounded it with a hammer to make it fit.

That being said though, after i filed it down and got the new strings in, this uke has never sounded better. The KPK is a quality instrument but it needs strings like these D'addario to really shine.

Top Bottom