Saw James Hill at Southern Ukulele Store

UkuEroll

Reaction score
On Wednesday afternoon, me and my wife took a trip to the Southern Ukulele Store in Bournmouth to see James Hill. I got the heads up from another UU member and we decided it was one we just couldn't miss, So we set off early to make sure of our place. The 50 mile journey was soo so worth it, we were treated to a fantasic performance, James was accompanied by Anne Davison on Cello, there was only about 30 people so we had a ring side view.
Not only was he a great player but he was also an all round nice guy, talking and telling little jokes between songs.
That evening he was playing in Southampton and encouraged people to come and bring there Ukes. I really wanted to go but due to my condition my energy level was dropping. My wife treated me to a
T shirt and Cd, when she paid she was given a free set of the new Aquila strings.
The shop was an Alladins cave of Ukes and I came home with a Countryman banjo Uke. Anyone thinking of going there will find Paul a very friendly and helpfull chap. if you get a chance to see James, do it! as he is travelling the Uk at the moment so look out for him, you won't be disapointed. I'll will be posting a video soon, it's uploading now and it's taking forever, anyway here is a picture of me James and my lovely wife.
IMG_6619.jpg

Last edited:
Great picture.

I really really wish you would have went to see James Hill play in concert. I saw him in Singapore. A very memorable performance and he was without Anne when I saw him so I'm sure his performances with Anne are even better.

That store looks like it has some serious ukes on the wall and in James' hands.

Great picture.

I really really wish you would have went to see James Hill play in concert. I saw him in Singapore. A very memorable performance and he was without Anne when I saw him so I'm sure his performances with Anne are even better.

That store looks like it has some serious ukes on the wall and in James' hands.
I would have loved to go see him again but I was just too tired. The Uke he was playing was made by Mike Desouza, it sounded wonderfull. The Southern Ukulele Store has the best selection I've ever seen in the Uk.

I just can't believe that we keep letting one of our greatest national treasures leave Canada ;)

I would have loved to go see him again but I was just too tired. The Uke he was playing was made by Mike Desouza, it sounded wonderfull. The Southern Ukulele Store has the best selection I've ever seen in the Uk.

Mike DaSilva. Now even more gutted I missed it... :(

That is a great pic, and I love the story. I'm glad you got to travel and see him perform, as he is a true ukulele ambassador :)

I have his new CD (bought on iTunes), and it's lovely. I was shopping for a new rubber flush ring for my toilet today and listening to the CD on my iPod while walking around Lowe's Hardware in Champaign, IL. No joke!

And now you go and see the man in concert.

I really like his voice. Something about it. Lively.

wow the southern ukulele store looks amazing, i was lucky enough to catch the mighty uke road show last sunday, had a workshop with James, he is such a amazing player and a lovely fellow, i was gutted they didnt have the cds come through when we there hope to get one eventually loved the video,you put up, look forward toseeing more if you have some :)

wow the southern ukulele store looks amazing, i was lucky enough to catch the mighty uke road show last sunday, had a workshop with James, he is such a amazing player and a lovely fellow, i was gutted they didnt have the cds come through when we there hope to get one eventually loved the video,you put up, look forward toseeing more if you have some :)
I have got another video, but I hav'nt uploaded it yet, I'm going to put them both in the Video thread.

That's a lovely photo and thank you for posting that video. That was fab.

Good that you got to see James :)

HIs CD is on iTunes, and I presume Amazon.com digital downloads and hard copy.

Top Bottom