Ko'olau Alohi string life

Skitzic

Reaction score
I really like Alohi strings. I have put them on a few of my ukes and have never been disappointed, and currently have most of my main players strung up with them.

I put them on my soprano sometime in June after UWC. The instrument had nearly perfect intonation after the strings settled. I noticed in late September that the C string was a little off, different amounts depending where you were on the fretboard. I picked it up the other day, and the intonation was terrible. I pulled the Alohi's off and put on some Worths I had laying around and the intonation is nearly perfect again.

I put Alohi's on my tenor around August/September, and now I'm noticing it's starting to sound a little off as well. I'm going to change the strings on it later tonight as it is my only 4 string tenor and I've been on a bit of a finger picking kick.

Here is my question...has anyone else taken note of the string life of Alohi's? I feel like 3-5 months isn't long enough...especially since I know I can get a year out of Aquilas and who knows how long out of Worths.

Thoughts?

Recently started using Alohis, I'll be interested in the feedback too. They make my Pono concert sound amazing.

I had my alohi's about as long as John or even longer...have you been switching tunings much?? they wear out faster too then..... John has a good point...playing time or climate? hmm

I wonder if I got a bad batch? I had considered the weather change, but I don't think I'm prepared to change my strings every time the weather changes. I don't do crazy tuning changes on either of these ukes.

I think I'll buy another pack or two and see if they fail at the 5 month mark again.

Top Bottom