PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use a Metronome?

arturo7
12-02-2011, 05:57 AM
Do you practice with a metronome?

Dan Uke
12-02-2011, 06:04 AM
I'm a soloist and I let my feelings take over!! J/K I know I'm all over the place and I'll probably practice with one if I ever play with anyone else

Susie A
12-02-2011, 06:06 AM
I would if I owned one :)

vanflynn
12-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Don't need to. The voices in my head help me keep time.

Drew Bear
12-02-2011, 06:17 AM
No, but I have been practicing along with Jake, Aldrine, et al in their instructional apps & videos. I'm guessing their internal metronomes are pretty good. I kinda doubt I would ever use a dedicated metronome.

janeray1940
12-02-2011, 06:18 AM
There should be a "not as often as I should" option in the poll :)

FYI for those who don't have metronomes but have smartphones - there are lots of metronome apps out there. On Android, I can vouch for the paid version of Mobile Metronome (the ads in the free version cause crashes sometimes but I've never had a problem since I upgraded to the "pro" version).

arturo7
12-02-2011, 06:26 AM
I would if I owned one :)

If you have a "smart" phone, there are several free downloads available.

arturo7
12-02-2011, 06:28 AM
No, but I have been practicing along with Jake, Aldrine, et al in their instructional apps & videos. I'm guessing their internal metronomes are pretty good. I kinda doubt I would ever use a dedicated metronome.

Jake has horrible timing. I'm guessing he would choose the "what is metronome" option.

Drew Bear
12-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Jake has horrible timing. I'm guessing he would choose the "what is metronome" option.

Hmm...I would hope he's being more careful in his instructional material. There is a silent chord/beat chart at the bottom of the screen that follows along as he plays. It looks computer-generated to me. The question is whether it is following him or he is following it.

Jake's timing may be "loose" in his solo performances, but he also has recordings with other instruments. Wouldn't you be able to hear if his timing was off on those tracks?

garywj
12-02-2011, 07:21 AM
I find a metronome boring. I practice with Band-in-a-Box, which serves the same purpose. My timing has not been good, and BIAB has helped a lot. Once a week I play with others and that's when my bad timing is obvious to me.

arturo7
12-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Jake's timing may be "loose" in his solo performances, but he also has recordings with other instruments. Wouldn't you be able to hear if his timing was off on those tracks?

I can't comment on the ensemble material, I haven't been exposed to it. Only his Liberace-like solo stuff, and a few clips with playing with one other ukulelist.

23skidoo
12-02-2011, 07:27 AM
I use a metronome when practicing scales, arpeggios, a difficult song I'm slowly down to work on..... all things I mostly do on guitar. When I play my uke, it's usually just fun, although I'm starting to work on some more technical things with the uke, as well.... I always use a metronome when I'm doing a multitrack recording, also - just makes it 1,000 times easier to get things to line up if there is more than one track....

I've really only been practicing seriously for a year or so, but I can tell a huge difference in my overall timing having used the metronome a lot - it translates to betterngeneral rhythm on whatever instrument I'm playing. I think a metronome is pretty essential if you want to be a more technical player....

I use an online metronome, with my laptop plugged into some speakers. I've tried several and this one (http://www.studybass.com/tools/online-metronome/) is the least irritating and the most expedient to use, I think.....

ksiegel
12-02-2011, 07:40 AM
I have never used a metronome - but trying to do some multitracked MP3 / video projects, I can't hear/see the prior recordings, so I may be using a metronome soon.

-Kurt

allanr
12-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I answered with the truth (never) instead of what I want the truth to be (almost always). I know that I need to start using one to move up to the next plateau.

Gadzukes!
12-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I use a metronome on my iPhone. It's excellent for practicing strum patterns, since I can set a time signature.

uncle david
12-02-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't use a metronome when practicing alone, but when rehearsing with a band, we break out a smartphone metronome app from time to time.
A metronome can be an excellent tool for a beginning musician and even for the veteran musician that didn't inherit the rhythm gene.

arturo7
12-02-2011, 08:13 AM
I use a metronome on my iPhone.

Same here. I use the free one from Ludwig.

arturo7
12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
A metronome can be an excellent tool for a beginning musician and even for the veteran musician that didn't inherit the rhythm gene.

There may be a rhythm gene, but there is no meter gene. Most of the pros I know always practice with a metronome. It's just way too easy to drift off time when you're playing solo.

bigchiz
12-02-2011, 08:23 AM
I like the Steinway metronome on the iPod Touch / iPhone. Nice woodgrain coloring, not quilted mahogany though.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steinway-metronome/id393021343?mt=8

Drew Bear
12-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Both the Ludwig & Steinway metronome apps are produced by Steinway. I downloaded the Ludwig. Thanks for the suggestions.

SailQwest
12-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Practicing with a metronome really helps a lot with meter and tempo, especially if you play with others frequently. IMO, it's not quite so important if you only play solo.

My husband and I both practice with metronomes, especially on "problem" songs.

kaizersoza
12-02-2011, 09:23 AM
if you know the song you will know the timing but if you are slightly unsure of the song then you need one, tonight in my ukulele lesson my tutor pulled me up on my timing and told me i was learning a bad habit and needed to practise my timing from now on, otherwise if i ever play with other musicians i will always be out of time, so its time to get a metronome simples

willisoften
12-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Sometimes: I played uke banjo and guitar twenty odd years ago and only really picked up a uke again recently. Timing is the hardest thing for me. Chords - no problem. But every aspect of timing, strumming, chugging, singing, and changing chords to the beat has all gone very seriously organic. When I use a click, things improve hugely.

uker62
12-03-2011, 02:33 PM
At the kind insistence of some of my more accomplished friends, I've started using a metronome. The method I use, when practicing licks, scales, etc. is to start at about 40 bpm and go up in 10bpm increments until I hit 220bpm (if possible). The enforced "over-learning" is really good and allows you to play well at normal speeds/

ukuleledaveey
12-03-2011, 02:47 PM
mine just sits in my uke case, i cant get on with using one, i guess i am a bad uke player :( but i dont think i struggle at our club nights, well i cant hear myself when 30 + ukes are playing :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
12-03-2011, 03:42 PM
I voted for "sometimes", but for me that means "a few times every few months". I'd like to make that "at least once a week".

poppy
12-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Curious ,any x bass players or drummers use one regulary. Feel like they are the metronome in a group and they better be spot on. Just always have felt where the beat is.

Plainsong
12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Yeah my husband is the bass player /sometimes drummer type, and he doesn't use or need a metronome. He's got a great sense of how you subdivide that rhythm. He doesn't think about it, so I don't mention it. :)

As for me, I don't use one. I probably should, but it doesn't bother me if I rush or drag. At least I know I'm doing it, and leave it at that. There's no one to jam with anymore anyway, other than my husband... but I feel more comfortable playing with others than just myself.

... not that there's anything wrong with playing with yourself. ;)

itsme
12-04-2011, 03:46 PM
"Never" here.

Don't need to. The voices in my head help me keep time.
Actually, that's a rather true statement for me, too. :)

I've studied classical on other instruments for many years, to the point where I actually have a pretty good sense of time and rhythm. (No brag, just fact. :p) If there's a difficult passage I'm struggling with, I don't want a metronome clicking at me and telling me to hurry up. I have to slow it down and work on the notes, then repeat the passage until I can get it up to tempo. And I'll know when that happens.

Got a red Snark recently, it has a built-in metronome that shows a little blinking heart to the beat you set. I can't imagine that being terribly useful for me, as I'm more focused on what my fingers are doing or following the sheet music than wanting to watch blinks on the tuner as I'm trying to play.