PDA

View Full Version : Best tenor/ concert uke for $1500 or less.

bobmyers
12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
In have UAS and am ready to pull the trigger again. Current budget is $1500. Trouble is, I have at least 6 ukes in mind and no way to select same.
Lets start with what I have, expendable (Kamaka HF-1, Kanile'a K-1C) keepers (Kanile'a Koa Super Tenor, Santa Cruz 1929 Mohogany Concert) on order, (Rick Turner Compass Rose Scyamore body Red Cedar Top Tenor).
I am looking for some balance of excellent ukes after the expendables are gone.
Candidates: Kepasa Gyspy Rose Concert, Maya Moe Tenor, Collings Tenor, William king Concert, Moore Beetah Concert, Luis Feu Mesquita Tenor.
Since I will need to sell some of my keepers for another uke in the future can I get some advice as to the one of six I have on my wish list?
Bob

haolejohn
12-02-2011, 11:07 AM
In have UAS and am ready to pull the trigger again. Current budget is $1500. Trouble is, I have at least 6 ukes in mind and no way to select same.
Lets start with what I have, expendable (Kamaka HF-1, Kanile'a K-1C) keepers (Kanile'a Koa Super Tenor, Santa Cruz 1929 Mohogany Concert) on order, (Rick Turner Compass Rose Scyamore body Red Cedar Top Tenor).
I am looking for some balance of excellent ukes after the expendables are gone.
Candidates: Kepasa Gyspy Rose Concert, Maya Moe Tenor, Collings Tenor, William king Concert, Moore Beetah Concert, Luis Feu Mesquita Tenor.
Since I will need to sell some of my keepers for another uke in the future can I get some advice as to the one of six I have on my wish list?
Bob

Not sure how long you want to wait...I'd recommend contacting the luthiers about their wait lists. I know (from reading here) that Chuck's list is very long at the moment.

Couloirman
12-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Collings for sure. BEst sounding uke I have ever put my hands on. Such a good tone. You will not regret it.

ukulelepuapua
12-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Personally right at the 1500 marker, Ko'Olau makes a sweet tenor line that comes standard with nylon covered titanium strings. Its sound is incredible and they look beautiful.

Hippie Dribble
12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
hi Bob, pretty hard to give any serious advice when you've got a list of candidates like that. Can't go wrong...like asking me if I want a milion or 999thousand...not too fussed either way. Collings and Mya Moe are my favorite builders, but then I haven't been fortunate enough to play any of those others

mm stan
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
How about Vento Ukes....1200.00 custom tenor?? seems you won't have a soprano though....then there's the Mya Moe..

Ronnie Aloha
12-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm not really sure but I don't think you could get an MB for $1500.

Plainsong
12-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Speaking of Collings, there's also Compass Rose that comes into play.

LOL - post reading fail on my part! Yeah, how about getting a Compass Rose to match your Compass Rose. ;)

Yeah, how about a Collings then?

mangorockfish
12-02-2011, 01:38 PM
A four car garage and he's still buildin' on. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? UAS has absolutly nothing to do with anything.

jimdville
12-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Joel Eckhaus/Earnest Instruments

Gadzukes!
12-02-2011, 04:26 PM
The best concert uke in your price range is the Kala KA-KC. Very hard to find, but I'll sell you mine for $1499.99. It's a laminate, so you never have to worry about it cracking!

dnewton2
12-03-2011, 02:27 AM
I have a MB NSB concert. It is an awesome uke. Don't think you will get much help with a list like that all of the ukes are top of the line. But my vote is MB because that's what I have played. Not sure if you can get one in your price range.

Doc_J
12-03-2011, 02:56 AM
I have a MB NSB concert. It is an awesome uke. Don't think you will get much help with a list like that all of the ukes are top of the line. But my vote is MB because that's what I have played. Not sure if you can get one in your price range.

Unfortunately, Chuck is currently not taking any orders.
So, unless a miracle happens and current MB owner decides to sell one, you'll not be able to find a MB.

So, with that in mind try a Compass Rose Tenor or Mya-moe tenor. These two are great, available, but sound very different.

bobmyers
12-03-2011, 03:47 AM
Thanks All,
I'm really tempted to go with the Kala, such a good deal.
I've done some more research and have narrowed it down to a Mya Moe Tenor and a Kepasa Gypsy Rose Concert, on the fence still with the Collings.
Bob

fumanshu
12-03-2011, 05:29 AM
The best tenor in my book is my Luis Feu de Mesquita Ukaferri. It's a little more than the 1500$ budget but I think it worths much more than the price he's selling them for.

More than that, it's a real beauty!! :)