Best tenor/ concert uke for $1500 or less.

bobmyers

Reaction score
In have UAS and am ready to pull the trigger again. Current budget is $1500. Trouble is, I have at least 6 ukes in mind and no way to select same.
Lets start with what I have, expendable (Kamaka HF-1, Kanile'a K-1C) keepers (Kanile'a Koa Super Tenor, Santa Cruz 1929 Mohogany Concert) on order, (Rick Turner Compass Rose Scyamore body Red Cedar Top Tenor).
I am looking for some balance of excellent ukes after the expendables are gone.
Candidates: Kepasa Gyspy Rose Concert, Maya Moe Tenor, Collings Tenor, William king Concert, Moore Beetah Concert, Luis Feu Mesquita Tenor.
Since I will need to sell some of my keepers for another uke in the future can I get some advice as to the one of six I have on my wish list?
Bob

In have UAS and am ready to pull the trigger again. Current budget is $1500. Trouble is, I have at least 6 ukes in mind and no way to select same.
Lets start with what I have, expendable (Kamaka HF-1, Kanile'a K-1C) keepers (Kanile'a Koa Super Tenor, Santa Cruz 1929 Mohogany Concert) on order, (Rick Turner Compass Rose Scyamore body Red Cedar Top Tenor).
I am looking for some balance of excellent ukes after the expendables are gone.
Candidates: Kepasa Gyspy Rose Concert, Maya Moe Tenor, Collings Tenor, William king Concert, Moore Beetah Concert, Luis Feu Mesquita Tenor.
Since I will need to sell some of my keepers for another uke in the future can I get some advice as to the one of six I have on my wish list?
Bob

Not sure how long you want to wait...I'd recommend contacting the luthiers about their wait lists. I know (from reading here) that Chuck's list is very long at the moment.

Collings for sure. BEst sounding uke I have ever put my hands on. Such a good tone. You will not regret it.

Personally right at the 1500 marker, Ko'Olau makes a sweet tenor line that comes standard with nylon covered titanium strings. Its sound is incredible and they look beautiful.

hi Bob, pretty hard to give any serious advice when you've got a list of candidates like that. Can't go wrong...like asking me if I want a milion or 999thousand...not too fussed either way. Collings and Mya Moe are my favorite builders, but then I haven't been fortunate enough to play any of those others

How about Vento Ukes....1200.00 custom tenor?? seems you won't have a soprano though....then there's the Mya Moe..

Speaking of Collings, there's also Compass Rose that comes into play.

LOL - post reading fail on my part! Yeah, how about getting a Compass Rose to match your Compass Rose. ;)

Yeah, how about a Collings then?

Last edited:
A four car garage and he's still buildin' on. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? UAS has absolutly nothing to do with anything.

Joel Eckhaus/Earnest Instruments

The best concert uke in your price range is the Kala KA-KC. Very hard to find, but I'll sell you mine for $1499.99. It's a laminate, so you never have to worry about it cracking!

I have a MB NSB concert. It is an awesome uke. Don't think you will get much help with a list like that all of the ukes are top of the line. But my vote is MB because that's what I have played. Not sure if you can get one in your price range.

I have a MB NSB concert. It is an awesome uke. Don't think you will get much help with a list like that all of the ukes are top of the line. But my vote is MB because that's what I have played. Not sure if you can get one in your price range.

Unfortunately, Chuck is currently not taking any orders.
So, unless a miracle happens and current MB owner decides to sell one, you'll not be able to find a MB.

So, with that in mind try a Compass Rose Tenor or Mya-moe tenor. These two are great, available, but sound very different.

Thanks All,
I'm really tempted to go with the Kala, such a good deal.
I've done some more research and have narrowed it down to a Mya Moe Tenor and a Kepasa Gypsy Rose Concert, on the fence still with the Collings.
Bob

The best tenor in my book is my Luis Feu de Mesquita Ukaferri. It's a little more than the 1500$ budget but I think it worths much more than the price he's selling them for.

More than that, it's a real beauty!! :)

Top Bottom