Song Help Request You Don't Know What Love Is

CTurner

Reaction score
I've been listening to Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone and just love all their versions of this jazz classic.
Does anyone have tabs for this great song?
Thanks.

Oooh yeah, that's a good one. I like the Bill Evans & Tony Bennett version. :)

Do you want full-on tabs (which I don't have) or just the chords (which I might be able to dig up)?

JJ

JJ:

The chords would be wonderful: I've futzed with the opening section a bit, but I just don't know how to figure out the right key, especially since the different versions are in different keys.

Thank you so much for the offer to help, I much appreciate and value this board!

Yeah, that's the thing with jazz tunes. There are tons of versions of any given song, all with their own phrasing, chord substitutions, keys, etc.

But for what it's worth, here are the chords that are in the Real Book. They have it in F minor (which happens to also be the Bill Evans/Tony Bennett key, although I think Bill is using different chords in spots). The chord names probably won't line up exactly with the lyrics, depending on how the singer is phrasing them in the version you're used to hearing. Use your ears to sort it all out.

Code:
    Fm7             Db9    C7(b9)
You don't know what love is

Fm6               Gm7     C7(b9)  Db7
Until you learn the meaning of the  blues

Bb7               Gm7(b5)   C7(b9)  Fm7   Ab7
Until you've lost a love you  had to  lose

Db7             Gm7(b5)   C7(b9)

[Next three lines are the same as the first three…]
You don't know how lips hurt
Until you've kissed and had to pay the cost
Until you've flipped your heart and you have lost

Db7     C7(b9)   Fm6
You don't know what  love is

Bbm7   Eb7     Ab(maj7)      F7(b9)
Do you know how a lost heart  fears

Bbm7       Eb7   Ab(maj7)
The thought of reminiscing

Dm7       G7         C(maj7)
And how lips that taste the tears

Db9(#11)             C7(b9)
Lose their taste for kissing

[Last A section same as second A section]
You don't know how hearts burn
For love that cannot live yet never dies
Until you've faced each dawn with sleepless eyes

[If you're repeating the form, you can use Gm7(b5) to C7(b9) for the turnaround]

Now some of these are pretty hairy chords. ;) I would have to really sit down and work out how to play them on the uke myself.

In a pinch, you can always simplify them and just play the first part of the chord--up to the "number". So an Fm6 would just be Fm. Db9(#11) would just be Db, on so on.

And you can always play just a 7th chord instead of a 9th or b9th or b9(#11), etc. It won't sound as "rich", but it won't be wrong (just incomplete).

JJ

JJ, this is wonderful. I thank you for looking this up: it's obviously a "project" to learn to play! Love it.

And one more reason to put Real Book on my Amazon wish list.:)

Best,

Top Bottom