How can I tell where the notes are?

Melanie

Reaction score
I know this must sound so stupid to all of you, but how do I figure out where the notes are? This is my first stringed instrument and I've never had any lessons, and in heinsight I kinda rushed into teaching myself chords. But any time I try to jam with one of my more musically learned friends they'll sometimes ask me which finger is doing a certain note in a chord I play. It's so embarrassing having to tell somebody that you don't know as much as they expected you to. So is there any way or formula to finding out where the notes are?

You can download a similar chart from this post . . .

The distance between the notes are measured as half-steps in a chromatic scale. You don't have to know what that is yet, but the fretboard is laid out in that way. That means, for example, that when you have your finger on the A string (the one closest to the floor), 3rd fret, that note is C. If you move your finger to the A string 4th fret, then that's C#. Fifth fret A string would be D, 6th fret A string D#, and so on. This means that A string first fret is A#.

E# is better known as F. B# is better known as C.

Is that what you were looking for?

Top Bottom