"The Safety Dance: An Historical Appreciation"

Aw man… I had figured out how to play “The Safety Dance” on my uke several months ago. “This is hilarious! No one will think to play this song on the ukulele,” I said to myself.

Wrong. :(

Anyway, nice job! Let’s hear it for 80’s uke tunes!

I actually remember buying that particular Men Without Hats album, on vinyl, back when that song came out. Picked up Berlin’s “Pleasure Victim” on the same shopping trip. Guess that makes more more of an old fart than young punk, eh? :p

JJ

Aw man… I had figured out how to play “The Safety Dance” on my uke several months ago. “This is hilarious! No one will think to play this song on the ukulele,” I said to myself.

Wrong. :(

Anyway, nice job! Let’s hear it for 80’s uke tunes!

I actually remember buying that particular Men Without Hats album, on vinyl, back when that song came out. Picked up Berlin’s “Pleasure Victim” on the same shopping trip. Guess that makes more more of an old fart than young punk, eh? :p

JJ

I want to hear your arrangement! I'd love to know how it differs.

I bought the album when it came out, too. Bought their next 2 albums. Might be the only person with all 3 M w/o H records!

I dug that Berlin girl with the two-tone hair!

My version is pretty close to what it sounds like you’re doing. Some rhythmic differences mainly. But hey, maybe this will be my excuse to finally figure out how to do a YouTube! :eek:

I had “Rhythm of Youth” and “Pop Goes the World”, but that’s it. So you’ve got me beat by one.

I noticed by your YouTube sig link that you’re in Lanesville. Get this: The aforementioned MWOH/Berlin album purchase was done at a K-Mart in Jeffersonville, IN.

Must be something in the Kentuckiana water that makes people want to play that stuff. :rock:

JJ

Soooooo great! :D ROFL

Another awesome video, eh.

Reeking with the stench of back bacon!

dangit camera 3!!!!

hilarious video Alan! always fun to watch.

Thanks! That one gave me a bit of a headache while putting it together.

hahaha...you did the transistions so cleanly that i dont know if u used 3 cameras or 1.

I had to use two cameras. I'm not that good...!

Soooooo great! :D ROFL

Canada seems to inspire me. Why? why?

Did you notice how the strings go thru the headstock on that uke? I find that fascinating!

Being a canadian myself and a French speaking canadian, I must say that I did not fully understand the purpose of translating your comments (I'm not
saying that I did not apreciate the thought but I just don't see why).

One the "same" topic, I must say that I really apreciate the gesture of the french translating, and I find it funny that you post this video around the same time that this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrATQeLLKX0 came out. For those of you that don't understand Moliere's tongue, it simply explains that the conservative gouvernement currently in power is simply killing french canadian culture with budget cuts.

One the "same" topic, I must say that I really apreciate the gesture of the french translating, and I find it funny that you post this video around the same time that this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrATQeLLKX0 came out. For those of you that don't understand Moliere's tongue, it simply explains that the conservative gouvernement currently in power is simply killing french canadian culture with budget cuts.

Thanks for that link!

...I find it funny that you post this video around the same time that this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrATQeLLKX0 came out. For those of you that don't understand Moliere's tongue, it simply explains that the conservative gouvernement currently in power is simply killing french canadian culture with budget cuts.

Fer y'all who cain't unnerstand Mole-ear's tung, y'all can go hyeah fer the sub-titled version.

(You have to click the little arrow in the lower right of the video area and choose "CC" to get it to work.)

Freakin' hilarious!

And Ukisociety... your vid is totally awesome. It needs to be featured on the front page.

Two years too late?

I recently became inspired to try and convert the wonderful Safety Dance to Ukulele accompanied by Melodica- I have managed to get the Melodica parts to sound right but uke has been impossible for me. I don't suppose anyone has some tips? The only two accounts I can find of this ever being done are in this thread :p

I appreciate any help! However, this thread is so old I could very well be talking to a brick wall here

Thanks!

Loved the video!
What are the chords?
I've actually tried to learn this just last month but gave up.
Thanks, ukisociety, for renewing my interest in this great song!
Peace!

Top Bottom