Someone Call Greenpeace...

grendel1972

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
and report the USPS for abusing dolphins. Can't blame the seller, as this one looked like it had been run over by a truck (it had been totally crushed) when it arrived and was left on the doorstep so no way to refuse it. Going to be a Christmas gift for my daughter if the USPS doesn't destroy the next one! Seller is replacing it without question (or any cost to me), but a shame to see an instrument get destroyed like this. :(

IMG_0083.jpgIMG_0084.jpgIMG_0085.jpg

A commercial for instrument humidors? lol.. Sorry that happened, and huge kudos to the seller whom is replacing it without making you go through a USPS claim fiasco.

I hope they send the next one UPS or Fed Ex... good lord. Poor dolphin!

USPS has their issues, but I still prefer them. UPS is WAY worse.. FedEx has always been pretty dependable tho..
I hope they send the next one UPS or Fed Ex... good lord. Poor dolphin!

Holy heck.

I always ship stuff with USPS because if I remember correctly, they actually have the recipient sign off when they deliver the product. UPS just throws it (sometimes literally) at your house and leaves without even knocking on the door.

That's a shocking amount of damage. How could that even happen? Did the delivery truck roll down a hill?

In defense of the USPS, if you think of the amount of parcels, and mail they handle, the percentage of total damage like that is VERY low. It is always unfortunate when you end up in that percentage, no matter how low it is, but, "stuff happens", and apparently this was "stuff". I will always defend the USPS, because one, it is a part of our history here in the US, and actually a huge part. And two, they are the ONLY carrier that will drive to your house, pick up a letter, and take it 2500 miles all the way across the country for lest than two quarters. Ask UPS, or even FedEx to do that, BAAHHAHHAHAH.

But, it does amaze me the damage that can happen sometimes. When I owned a graphic shop, I had purchased a used commercial plotter/cutter. A $7,000 used machine. When I got it, (this was UPS however), the box looked like it was dropped out of a 10 story building on it's end. The box was hap hazzardly taped up like a comical attempt at a box repair, and the box litterally looked like an accordian bellows. The plotter was completely destroied, and not one part of the thing was savageable, even the heavy commercial built chassis was bent beyond repair. I felt sick to my stomach, but felt secure, because I had paid for insurance for it from UPS. When I filed the claim, they and I kid you not, sent me a check for $500, and told me if I thought I could get anymore out of it, to simply sue them. They actually told me that, even though I had it insured for $5,000, they still would only pay $500, take it or sue me deal. Yuh.. I simply don't do business with UPS since then..

But back on subject, these things happen, but taken the volume in account, is very low percentage..

Yeah, I've generally had good experiences with the USPS and have found them to be much more reliable than UPS. Still get steamed when I think about the time that UPS left some speakers on my front porch in a snow storm totally unprotected from the elements. This was after I called and told them I would be out of town and was assured they would hold the boxes for delivery after we returned. Thank goodness my neighbors are awesome and rescued the boxes to the safety of their garage.

The box this uke was in looked like it had fallen out of the truck, and then a box with a washing machine fell out and landed on top of it. Box was flattened. The dolphin didn't have a chance.

WoW! That is TERRIBLE! Poor dolphin!

I have sent hundreds of ukes USPS and only one problem and I still think it was sort of my fault with that one with a packaging issue I compensate for now. Things happen though. Glad you seller is awesome! Good luck with dolphin #2

Reread this and wanted to make it clear I do not think it was not packaged properly. I just mean, sometimes things happen. But you would think it would not be just left like that!

Last edited:
I just hope his next one doesn't get caught in a T.E.D... hehheh.. I wonder how many know what I am talking about.. <wink>

you should have clarified in the title it was not for the weak of heart! A tragedy!

If your in the USA, have a mail box in front of your house, and get visited every day by them bringing you your electric bill every month. I'm afraid you use, and depend on em.. <wink>

USPS SUX!! I never use them

Wow that is the worse damage I ever seen...My hello kitty uke was delivered by USPS and the box totally trashed...not a single inch didn't have a crease...inside the kitty box was ripped on
one side all the way down...but my Kitty survived..it has nine lives....even that plastic bags inside 6 of them were deflated... I was lucky the shipper put it in a really large box..it could have
easy fit 10 of them...that was Toysrus...they did good...can't say that for the shipping..

It's like they set out to destroy it in every way they could. UPS is easily the worst here though, and at least they're the most expensive. USPS to Itella is usually really reliable.

In defense of all shippers. I have used them all USPS is really reliable however during Christmas tines if not packed properly a few ukes could be damaged. You have to realize that with usps, fedex and ups all the boxes go thru machinery conveyors etc and end up being tossed about. That's just a fact of shipping... Ups has the best Record with me of all damaging 2 instruments in over 25,000 shipments. USPS is a little worse but they have such a ridiculous claim process that I just replace the instruments and in thinner packaging for the inexpensive ukes it is better for me to not insure and just send a replacement. fFedex I use the least due to high rates and have never had a problem. As for. Ups tossing the packages I doubt it at delivery as one phone call to your local ups office and they will see to it that the driver is reprimanded etc. As for no signature most all my ups requires one. If they are just leaving it at your doorstep it is not them but a shipper who did not want to pay the 2.00 or so fee to ship signature required....not ups fault. Overseas USPS has the best deal and great serice...if it is delayed it the customs not USPS fault

:mad:
Had a good friend ship his 1966 Martin D-18 to get a refret.
Fedex dropped it off and ran back to the truck.
Reciever found the box with dual tire tracks crushing
and destroying the guitar he had owned since new, 42 years,
recieving it as a gift in his teens.
Like the older Martin ukes, that D-18 had mojo to spare. RIP

At least the incident with the uke in this thread was new,
replacable, and had no history or attachment issues.

Hope the uke on it's way to me next week from HMS, arrives OK.
Its a gift for my son-in-law to play for my grand daughter.

My experience with shipping many guitars, and high end adult airguns,
best has been USPS, then UPS and I avoid Fedex whenever possible.
Aloha from Orygun.

:mad:
Had a good friend ship his 1966 Martin D-18 to get a refret.
Fedex dropped it off and ran back to the truck.
Reciever found the box with dual tire tracks crushing
and destroying the guitar he had owned since new, 42 years,
recieving it as a gift in his teens.
Like the older Martin ukes, that D-18 had mojo to spare. RIP

:eek: oh the horror! to murder an heirloom type instrument liek that

this whole thread makes a good point to try and do business local!

Of note, I had heard that the Dolphins had a plastic body but that is clearly wood. Is that new?

Top Bottom