A Giving Opportunity - Many Thanks to Lanikai!!!

Mim

Reaction score
My sister is in her first year teaching music at an elementary school in Virginia. She got a lot of hand-me-down ukes and was excited to dive in and teach her classes how to play ukulele. The 5th graders especially. In her school the 5th graders have the option of joining band, orchetra, chorus, or general music. But then a curve ball was thrown and they did away with chorus and now the only other option for kids who can not afford an instrument is general music. She watch as the class size grew as kids went home to be told by their parents they could not afford to rent instruments. So she wanted to give them a class they could be proud of, a class other kids would wish they were in. This is where the ukes come in. General music is going to be highly uke focused with the goal of the class playing Somewhere Over the Rainbow by the end of the year. She told me over the phone the ukes were in bad shape. And I said, "No No! I have been known to work miracles of the cheapest of ukes. Dont trash them until I can have a go at them!" So when I was in town I showed up tool-box in hand. From the surface the ukes did not looks too bad:

IMG_7498.jpg

I should have took a closer look. I picked up a uke and went to work. The strings have not been changed since the 60s or 70s when the ukes were made. They were as thin as dental floss. So I restrung it. Pop! I look, the bridge popped off. No biggie... glue, tighten the screws back in, set aside for it to dry overnight. Next uke. Start to restring... pop... neck seperated from body. Sigh... but I re-glued and decided to pick up where I left off the next morning. I got in late. I was tired.

The next day picked up the uke I had glued the bridge on. Tightened the strings... pop... the top sepeated. Not to mention I already deemed the bridges to be made in such a way where the 12 fret action could not be lowered in any way. That is when I gave up and in the sensibility that comes with a good nights sleep and took a closer look:

IMG_7510.jpg
IMG_7515.jpg
IMG_7514.jpg

They are all like this. My sister talked about the dissapointment the kids will have knowing they dont have ukes to play. She had been still teaching with these ukes and she was surprised how many of the kids with special learning needs took to them. She was talking about one kid that was so excited that he got the G7 chord down, he ran down the hall to show his home room teacher.

Something had to be done...
She said idealy she wanted 20, but I told her realistically I could try to raise $300 and get her MAYBE 10 ukes if I was lucky!

So I called...

LANIKAI!
Lanikai not only makes you happy, but they will be making this class happy! They are really an awesome company.

I was told if I can raise $300 they would pitch in the rest to provide this classroom with 20 new LU-21s. I about lost my breath when I read this. The exact number we needed and these are awesome ukes! They are very sturdy, without being heavy like a brick, with Aquila strings already and they are resonant and great for the classroom setting. (I am not just saying this because they are donating, I truly feel this way and often recommend these.)

So here is what I am going to do:

I have an anonymous donor who said they would match donations dollar for dollar up to $150. This donor is awesome and I am so grateful.

So if you want to help out in this cause, that would mean if you donate $5, it would count as $10 toward the final goal! And all I would need is 30 people to donate $5 and we would have the funds necissary to provide a ukulele program for an entire elemetary school.

If interested, donations can be sent as a gift through paypal to mimontheuke@aol.com. Just put Classroom in the subject. I will let you know when we reach the goal so we do not go over. I will pitch in the shipping and set them up on my next trip to Virginia.

My sister already has a display planned for them and I will have her take some pictures and share them here when they get there so you can see where they are going to!

COUNT ME IN.. Put me down for $50 mim.. THis is AWESOME.. I love putting ukes in kids hands..

COUNT ME IN.. Put me down for $50 mim.. THis is AWESOME.. I love putting ukes in kids hands..
.. Make that $100 Mim. I told my bride, and she said why stop at $50.. So, $100...

just sent $20 Mim...awesome stuff mate. Thanks to you and Lanikai... :)

Whoa! That was quicker than I thought! You guys are AWESOME! Only $30 more to go.

My sister was going around and around trying to think about her budget and how she could make it work. And I said, "Look! Let me bring it to my uke peepes! They always come through on things like this". And I could tell she doubted... but I did not for a minute! Did not imagine it would be that quick! But... I did not doubt for an instant!

Thank you and your sister for the opertunity Mim.. Ya'll rock..

And thank Lanikai for us too..

Just sent $10... get those kids their ukes! :)

Mim, this is awesome! I want to chip in, but I don't know how... please let me know exact;y how to do that, I'm not very internet buying savvy...

WOW! We are at our goal... well OVER our goal. What do you think I should do with the excess? Would you like me to refund it or keep it in a charity fund for a similar situtation. Ideas? Wow guys! Seriously! WOW!

Keep it to further the cause woman.. Buy an extra or two for more kids..

WOW! We are at our goal... well OVER our goal. What do you think I should do with the excess? Would you like me to refund it or keep it in a charity fund for a similar situtation. Ideas? Wow guys! Seriously! WOW!

How about using it for things like tuners and extra strings?

He he...I bet you're well over....there'd be many donators here not making a public post I've no doubt. This comunity blows me away constantly

I agree Mim...hold it in a fund for unforseen needs, strings, ukes that get sat on...maybe for a trip for the kids to a local shopping centre to perform some songs they've learnt (would need a few mics for that etc)...maybe to help out another charity...all options are open!!! :)

One question: would you like the donations to stop now, or should people keep going? I only just saw this request now...not all that long after you posted it, but apparently long after you had raised the money you needed. If you want to continue to raise money, and you raise more than you need for extra strings, might you look into donating to other schools in the area or to continuing your partnership with Lanikai in a more long-term and official capacity?

You guys are awwwweeeeeesssssooooommmmme!

The funny thing is I called my sister to tell her we just needed $30 more and I hear a click and check it and am like "Oops.. just $20..." Click (the sound my inbox makes)...

HOLY COW WE ARE OVER!

Click Click...

WAIT! Give me a minute I need to type that we are over and I have what we need.

Then it got quiet... Click... wait... what?

Click...

Another?

OH CRAP! I FORGOT I POSTED ON FACEBOOK!

I will total it up, collect everything, and everything over will go to tuners and then I will see how much is left and I will either keep it for unforseen needs or for future charitable events. I promise it will be put to good use for charitable uke related things. I am very honest!

Yes... BLOWN AWAY! BLOWN AWAY!

I seriously was thinking, "I will see where we are at the end of the weenend and maybe I can scrounge up some".

BLOWN AWAY!

Thank you!

This shows how absolutely unbelievable the uke community is!

One question: would you like the donations to stop now, or should people keep going? I only just saw this request now...not all that long after you posted it, but apparently long after you had raised the money you needed. If you want to continue to raise money, and you raise more than you need for extra strings, might you look into donating to other schools in the area or to continuing your partnership with Lanikai in a more long-term and official capacity?

Anything I have over will be put in a charity fund for sure! So if you want to give I will see what else I can do. I know there is a school that burned down in rural Virginia where my mom lives. Maybe for somewhere like that? I also know Andy (Ukulele Hill) does a camp every summer for kids. And I never take a cut when doing uke stuff for charity. It is at cost or below when companies partner with me. I can't pitch in much money usually, maybe one day as my business grows, but I do the set-ups and the hours and sometimes pitch in the shipping.

Let the spirit take it as far as it can go. The fund is in good hands, and we all know Mim, it will help kids get ukes, and things they need for them..

And I sent ya a PM on all those broken up ukes. I have been able to repair ukes like that to give out to kids, and would be more than happy to work on them if they aren't tossed yet..

Top Bottom