PDA

View Full Version : A Giving Opportunity - Many Thanks to Lanikai!!!

Mim
12-03-2011, 09:15 AM
My sister is in her first year teaching music at an elementary school in Virginia. She got a lot of hand-me-down ukes and was excited to dive in and teach her classes how to play ukulele. The 5th graders especially. In her school the 5th graders have the option of joining band, orchetra, chorus, or general music. But then a curve ball was thrown and they did away with chorus and now the only other option for kids who can not afford an instrument is general music. She watch as the class size grew as kids went home to be told by their parents they could not afford to rent instruments. So she wanted to give them a class they could be proud of, a class other kids would wish they were in. This is where the ukes come in. General music is going to be highly uke focused with the goal of the class playing Somewhere Over the Rainbow by the end of the year. She told me over the phone the ukes were in bad shape. And I said, "No No! I have been known to work miracles of the cheapest of ukes. Dont trash them until I can have a go at them!" So when I was in town I showed up tool-box in hand. From the surface the ukes did not looks too bad:

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_7498.jpg

I should have took a closer look. I picked up a uke and went to work. The strings have not been changed since the 60s or 70s when the ukes were made. They were as thin as dental floss. So I restrung it. Pop! I look, the bridge popped off. No biggie... glue, tighten the screws back in, set aside for it to dry overnight. Next uke. Start to restring... pop... neck seperated from body. Sigh... but I re-glued and decided to pick up where I left off the next morning. I got in late. I was tired.

The next day picked up the uke I had glued the bridge on. Tightened the strings... pop... the top sepeated. Not to mention I already deemed the bridges to be made in such a way where the 12 fret action could not be lowered in any way. That is when I gave up and in the sensibility that comes with a good nights sleep and took a closer look:

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_7510.jpghttp://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_7515.jpghttp://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_7514.jpg

They are all like this. My sister talked about the dissapointment the kids will have knowing they dont have ukes to play. She had been still teaching with these ukes and she was surprised how many of the kids with special learning needs took to them. She was talking about one kid that was so excited that he got the G7 chord down, he ran down the hall to show his home room teacher.

Something had to be done...
She said idealy she wanted 20, but I told her realistically I could try to raise $300 and get her MAYBE 10 ukes if I was lucky!

So I called...

LANIKAI!
Lanikai not only makes you happy, but they will be making this class happy! They are really an awesome company.

I was told if I can raise $300 they would pitch in the rest to provide this classroom with 20 new LU-21s. I about lost my breath when I read this. The exact number we needed and these are awesome ukes! They are very sturdy, without being heavy like a brick, with Aquila strings already and they are resonant and great for the classroom setting. (I am not just saying this because they are donating, I truly feel this way and often recommend these.)

So here is what I am going to do:

I have an anonymous donor who said they would match donations dollar for dollar up to $150. This donor is awesome and I am so grateful.

So if you want to help out in this cause, that would mean if you donate $5, it would count as $10 toward the final goal! And all I would need is 30 people to donate $5 and we would have the funds necissary to provide a ukulele program for an entire elemetary school.

If interested, donations can be sent as a gift through paypal to mimontheuke@aol.com. Just put Classroom in the subject. I will let you know when we reach the goal so we do not go over. I will pitch in the shipping and set them up on my next trip to Virginia.

My sister already has a display planned for them and I will have her take some pictures and share them here when they get there so you can see where they are going to!

Tudorp
12-03-2011, 09:25 AM
COUNT ME IN.. Put me down for $50 mim.. THis is AWESOME.. I love putting ukes in kids hands..

Tudorp
12-03-2011, 09:27 AM
COUNT ME IN.. Put me down for $50 mim.. THis is AWESOME.. I love putting ukes in kids hands.... Make that $100 Mim. I told my bride, and she said why stop at $50.. So, $100...

Hippie Dribble
12-03-2011, 09:27 AM
just sent $20 Mim...awesome stuff mate. Thanks to you and Lanikai... :)

Mim
12-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Whoa! That was quicker than I thought! You guys are AWESOME! Only $30 more to go.

My sister was going around and around trying to think about her budget and how she could make it work. And I said, "Look! Let me bring it to my uke peepes! They always come through on things like this". And I could tell she doubted... but I did not for a minute! Did not imagine it would be that quick! But... I did not doubt for an instant!

Tudorp
12-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Thank you and your sister for the opertunity Mim.. Ya'll rock..

And thank Lanikai for us too..

NatalieS
Just sent $10... get those kids their ukes! :)

Nickie
Mim, this is awesome! I want to chip in, but I don't know how... please let me know exact;y how to do that, I'm not very internet buying savvy...

Mim
12-03-2011, 09:38 AM
WOW! We are at our goal... well OVER our goal. What do you think I should do with the excess? Would you like me to refund it or keep it in a charity fund for a similar situtation. Ideas? Wow guys! Seriously! WOW!

Tudorp
12-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Keep it to further the cause woman.. Buy an extra or two for more kids..

NatalieS
12-03-2011, 09:42 AM
WOW! We are at our goal... well OVER our goal. What do you think I should do with the excess? Would you like me to refund it or keep it in a charity fund for a similar situtation. Ideas? Wow guys! Seriously! WOW!

How about using it for things like tuners and extra strings?

Tudorp
12-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Thats a great idea..

Hippie Dribble
12-03-2011, 09:53 AM
He he...I bet you're well over....there'd be many donators here not making a public post I've no doubt. This comunity blows me away constantly

I agree Mim...hold it in a fund for unforseen needs, strings, ukes that get sat on...maybe for a trip for the kids to a local shopping centre to perform some songs they've learnt (would need a few mics for that etc)...maybe to help out another charity...all options are open!!! :)

Mim
12-03-2011, 09:59 AM
You guys are awwwweeeeeesssssooooommmmme!

The funny thing is I called my sister to tell her we just needed $30 more and I hear a click and check it and am like "Oops.. just $20..." Click (the sound my inbox makes)...

HOLY COW WE ARE OVER!

Click Click...

WAIT! Give me a minute I need to type that we are over and I have what we need.

Then it got quiet... Click... wait... what?

Click...

Another?

OH CRAP! I FORGOT I POSTED ON FACEBOOK!

I will total it up, collect everything, and everything over will go to tuners and then I will see how much is left and I will either keep it for unforseen needs or for future charitable events. I promise it will be put to good use for charitable uke related things. I am very honest!

Yes... BLOWN AWAY! BLOWN AWAY!

I seriously was thinking, "I will see where we are at the end of the weenend and maybe I can scrounge up some".

BLOWN AWAY!

Thank you!

Kem
12-03-2011, 09:59 AM
One question: would you like the donations to stop now, or should people keep going? I only just saw this request now...not all that long after you posted it, but apparently long after you had raised the money you needed. If you want to continue to raise money, and you raise more than you need for extra strings, might you look into donating to other schools in the area or to continuing your partnership with Lanikai in a more long-term and official capacity?

Susie A
12-03-2011, 10:04 AM
wow ... this made me tear up! Such a generous community.

elisdad
12-03-2011, 10:04 AM
This shows how absolutely unbelievable the uke community is!

Mim
12-03-2011, 10:05 AM
One question: would you like the donations to stop now, or should people keep going? I only just saw this request now...not all that long after you posted it, but apparently long after you had raised the money you needed. If you want to continue to raise money, and you raise more than you need for extra strings, might you look into donating to other schools in the area or to continuing your partnership with Lanikai in a more long-term and official capacity?

Anything I have over will be put in a charity fund for sure! So if you want to give I will see what else I can do. I know there is a school that burned down in rural Virginia where my mom lives. Maybe for somewhere like that? I also know Andy (Ukulele Hill) does a camp every summer for kids. And I never take a cut when doing uke stuff for charity. It is at cost or below when companies partner with me. I can't pitch in much money usually, maybe one day as my business grows, but I do the set-ups and the hours and sometimes pitch in the shipping.

Tudorp
12-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Let the spirit take it as far as it can go. The fund is in good hands, and we all know Mim, it will help kids get ukes, and things they need for them..

Tudorp
12-03-2011, 10:18 AM
And I sent ya a PM on all those broken up ukes. I have been able to repair ukes like that to give out to kids, and would be more than happy to work on them if they aren't tossed yet..

bgrif
12-03-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm in for $50, too, Mim. Great idea.

mds725
12-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Your sister's class can't be the only one in the US (or even in Virginia) that could use an infusion of ukuleles to expose otherwise music-starved kids to making music. Not to burden you with looking for other schools with the same problem, but I'm donating, even though you've exceeded what you needed for your sister's class, in the hope that the money you collect can somehow benefit other schools that have cut their music programs but have dedicated teachers like your sister who want their students to play a musical instrument, even -- especially -- if they can't afford to rent one, or otherwise make a few kids happy this holiday season. Mahalo and Merry Christmas!

chindog
12-03-2011, 02:01 PM
I pitched in a couple of bucks, too. Buy more ukes! They may need more next year.

Mim
12-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Your sister's class can't be the only one in the US (or even in Virginia) that could use an infusion of ukuleles to expose otherwise music-starved kids to making music. Not to burden you with looking for other schools with the same problem, but I'm donating, even though you've exceeded what you needed for your sister's class, in the hope that the money you collect can somehow benefit other schools that have cut their music programs but have dedicated teachers like your sister who want their students to play a musical instrument, even -- especially -- if they can't afford to rent one, or otherwise make a few kids happy this holiday season. Mahalo and Merry Christmas!

Exactly! I am so excited about this! Seriously! The excess opens the door for a whole other opprotunity to spread the music and spread the love. More money to do more good!!! I will talk to Lanikai to see what I can do next time around and have my eyes out for another school that could use them. It is important to me that they go to a class where they are a major part of the curriculum rather than just a instument pulled out only 1 or 2 times a year. Know what I mean? So eyes, and ears open and I will let you know when the opportunity arises and some good can be done! And I will make sure I partner with a uke compant to get a good deal so I can give the most for the money. This is exciting yall. I will keep you updated every step of the way!

bbycrts
12-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Yes... BLOWN AWAY! BLOWN AWAY!

I seriously was thinking, "I will see where we are at the end of the weenend and maybe I can scrounge up some".

BLOWN AWAY!

Thank you!

Mim -

I'm glad you're blown away, because that means you don't take things for granted. As for me - I'm not blown away at all. This is exactly the response I would expect from this amazing community.

chicago911
12-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Keep it to further the cause. Someday I will want to get a bunch to teach little kids.

kamaka_4_life
12-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Wonderful story, are you still collecting donations, as I would love to donate some money :)

wolfybau
12-03-2011, 05:41 PM
great stuff you folks are doing!

it is sad that in many schools they keep cutting funding for music programs. It is well documented the benifits of music therapy and how it help the brain and academic skills etc etc. all the best with your ventures :cool:

sukie
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Excellent idea. Those will cost a bit of cash. It's cool how fast everyone chipped in.

Great idea, Mim.

JT_Ukes
12-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Click.. I'm in

ADD
12-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Exactly! I am so excited about this! Seriously! The excess opens the door for a whole other opprotunity to spread the music and spread the love. More money to do more good!!! I will talk to Lanikai to see what I can do next time around and have my eyes out for another school that could use them. It is important to me that they go to a class where they are a major part of the curriculum rather than just a instument pulled out only 1 or 2 times a year. Know what I mean? So eyes, and ears open and I will let you know when the opportunity arises and some good can be done! And I will make sure I partner with a uke compant to get a good deal so I can give the most for the money. This is exciting yall. I will keep you updated every step of the way!

Just saw this post. Exciting how fast the fund grew with that incredible kick off by Tudorp. Agree with you, Mim, "major part of curriculum" or some program where the ukes will actually be used consistently. Ukulele Hill's summer program is perfect example. The extra -tuners, strings, etc sound good as does using it for shipping those ukes out as you already contribute so much in time with all the set ups. Or you might use some to ship those damaged ukes to Tudorp, where they will have a new life. Sending a little donation too for that fund. The world is a better place because of the little ukulele and those that love it. Great community here. And you too, Mim. Sounds like it runs in the family. My best to your sister and her students.

Mim
12-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Wonderful story, are you still collecting donations, as I would love to donate some money :)

If people want to keep sending, I wont say "no". I will make sure this class is taken care of, and then hold the rest for the right thing to come along. And I will let you guys know when they do because the fun part is knowing where the money went!

Just saw this post. Exciting how fast the fund grew with that incredible kick off by Tudorp. Agree with you, Mim, "major part of curriculum" or some program where the ukes will actually be used consistently. Ukulele Hill's summer program is perfect example. The extra -tuners, strings, etc sound good as does using it for shipping those ukes out as you already contribute so much in time with all the set ups. Or you might use some to ship those damaged ukes to Tudorp, where they will have a new life. Sending a little donation too for that fund. The world is a better place because of the little ukulele and those that love it. Great community here. And you too, Mim. Sounds like it runs in the family. My best to your sister and her students.

Andy's Camp is one of the things high on my list of worthy causes. Their avatar/artwork fundraiser is a lot of fun and then I can suppliment whatever is not raised with this fund :). It is such a great camp! And yes, I am going to see what happens to the old ones. I think my sister was hoping to use them as "Take home and practice" ukes. But if she doesnt to Tudorp they will go! I can not wait for tomorrow to get the uke ordered, shipped out, and hopefully in the classroom by the end of the week so they can get ready for their January mid-year performance!

ryanvt
12-04-2011, 08:38 AM
This story made me think about this program: http://www.guitarsintheclassroom.org/

As a teacher and a uke learner it makes me so happy to see this happening! I think the UU community is the perfect place to start a larger movement to get uke programs into schools everywhere. Mim, perhaps your story is the start of something even bigger?

Tudorp
12-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Mim, and everybody. If the teacher has a plan for the busted up ukes, that is fantastic. My concern was just not letting them get thrown away. Even a bad uke is good for a kid that wouldn't otherwise have the opertunity to own one. Even the bad ukes are "seeds" to continue the spirit of the instrument. If they do end up on my door step, I would be sure that continues with even the busted up ones. I have been repairing, restoring old busted up ukes and giving them to kids for some time now, and to inspire a kid to develop a love of not only the uke, but also the spirit of sharing the instrument and the music that comes from them is priceless.

When I 1st saw the condition of them, my first thought was "those could be made into a "kit" of sorts for kids not only to play, but also to learn to work on them, and involve them in the repair of one as well". If they do end up on my door step, I want to clean them up, and make them into "kit" form, or "repair kit" form. Find a kid for each of them, teach and have them repair or rebuild it together. I think it would be even more of a pride for some kids that generally don't have much reason to smile, or feel they accomplished something.

All I ask Mim is that you not let them get thrown away, because even those busted up ones can be an opertunity.. <smile>

UkuleleHill
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Every day I am amazed at the wonderfulness of this place! You all are awesome :)

Mim
12-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Mim, and everybody. If the teacher has a plan for the busted up ukes, that is fantastic. My concern was just not letting them get thrown away. Even a bad uke is good for a kid that wouldn't otherwise have the opertunity to own one. Even the bad ukes are "seeds" to continue the spirit of the instrument. If they do end up on my door step, I would be sure that continues with even the busted up ones. I have been repairing, restoring old busted up ukes and giving them to kids for some time now, and to inspire a kid to develop a love of not only the uke, but also the spirit of sharing the instrument and the music that comes from them is priceless.

When I 1st saw the condition of them, my first thought was "those could be made into a "kit" of sorts for kids not only to play, but also to learn to work on them, and involve them in the repair of one as well". If they do end up on my door step, I want to clean them up, and make them into "kit" form, or "repair kit" form. Find a kid for each of them, teach and have them repair or rebuild it together. I think it would be even more of a pride for some kids that generally don't have much reason to smile, or feel they accomplished something.

All I ask Mim is that you not let them get thrown away, because even those busted up ones can be an opertunity.. <smile>

I promise!!! :) Any not-used ones will be sent to Todorp to be restored to ukulele awesomeness to continue the love! So I will make my sister vow not to throw any away and will bring a box with me next I am in Virginia to ship any ones out that end up not used.

Mim
12-04-2011, 05:58 PM
This story made me think about this program: http://www.guitarsintheclassroom.org/

As a teacher and a uke learner it makes me so happy to see this happening! I think the UU community is the perfect place to start a larger movement to get uke programs into schools everywhere. Mim, perhaps your story is the start of something even bigger?

That is what I am thinking! Even if a classroom is sponsored twice a year! Need to see if this is something that can be a partnership with a brand that can make it affordable. Seriously... I was hoping for 10 ukes for the $300 goal I had. And if it had not been for Lanikai it would not have been possible. So I really have to give them a lot of credit for being so giving!!!

mds725
12-04-2011, 07:36 PM
That is what I am thinking! Even if a classroom is sponsored twice a year! Need to see if this is something that can be a partnership with a brand that can make it affordable. Seriously... I was hoping for 10 ukes for the $300 goal I had. And if it had not been for Lanikai it would not have been possible. So I really have to give them a lot of credit for being so giving!!!

Props to Lanikai! This is a very generous thing for Lanikai to do. I wonder if some of its competitors, like Kala, Ohana, and Makai, might also be open to similar partnerships.

vanflynn
12-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Yes indeed. Thank you Lanikai and Thank you Mim. If you think about how many kids one of those ukes will be played by in the ukes's (hopefully long) lifetime and if only 10% get bit by the uke bug Lanikai's kind investment will payoff in aces. Even if they don't get into playing, they will have had some hands on music theory that will be with them for the rest of there lives.

Mahalo to Mim, Lanikai and all that gave or plan to give. Keep the Aloha going.

semuelle77
12-06-2011, 07:15 AM
I know this is an older topic, but I had to reply. I am an elementray school music teacher and this story made me teary eyed. I have only just begun to play the uke myself. I hope to someday be able to teach my students how to play. Hearing about generosity like this gives me hope that it can be done other places, too. I hope your sister and her students had a blast! (Now to read more of the replies!)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Props to Lanikai! This is a very generous thing for Lanikai to do. I wonder if some of its competitors, like Kala, Ohana, and Makai, might also be open to similar partnerships.

Ohana recently donated several dozen ukes to out Hawaiian charter school (I set them up and changed the strings). Kamaka is also known for their generosity to local schools. Kala also supports good causes.