2kulele, aka frankenlele, aka bastardlele

russ_buss

Reaction score
hey all, so i was reading a thread a little while back with some talk about ukulele kits and saw that somebody had posted a link to the grizzly.com site that sells $25 uke building kits. sounded like project time for me.

since the price was right(right meaning cheap as), i bought two kits with thoughts of spraypainting them pretty colors and adding much glitter, strawberry scent, and rhinestones. but in the end decided to hack them up with a saw. my brother helped me out with the first few steps because he won't let me touch his bandsaw and belt sander.

UPDATE: made a video. if you want to see 2 cheap ukes played at once, here you go: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5691

here are pictures from my project which i call 2kulele, frankenlele, or bastardlele. still can't decide on a name. perhaps you folks can come up with something better.

this is what comes in the kits:
Photo0267.jpg

Photo0268.jpg

chop chop with the bandsaw:
Photo0271.jpg

clamp and glue the necks:
Photo0281.jpg

Last edited:
gluing the fretboard to the neck using jenga pieces:
Photo0287.jpg

gluing bridge X 2:
Photo0295.jpg

quick stop for indian food:
Photo0297.jpg

good ol' california spray tan:
Photo0300.jpg

done:
Photo0306.jpg

Photo0308.jpg

Photo0311.jpg

someone is bound to ask, "so how does it sound?". well, it sounds like a $25 uke x 2. not great, but not horrible. not terribly loud because of all the crap done to it. but the intonations just okay, i wouldn't dare play any higher than the 7th or 8th fret. all in all, it was a fun project and brought me back to the joy of arts and crafts time in grade school. i'll post a video of it when i can.

also, the bottom neck is strung with standard re-entrant tuning and the top neck is strung with low G.

thanks for reading!

This is just awesome, Russ! :D So cool. I want it. I think 2kulele is a great name for it.

Hmm... reminds of the night I spent in Bangkok with Siamese twins.

awesome russ! are there two different bodies or just one big body with two necks?

i can't wait for a video.

That's pretty cool. There's only one good Indian restaurant around here. What did you order or was it a buffet?

Great job Russ. My first experiments into building was one of those Grizzly kits. Great job.

Pete, your double neck looks like it is going to be pretty sweet. Glad to see you are still around. Thought you may have moved out. I'm glad you didn't. You have so much to offer us all when it comes to building ukulele.

How many 40oz's did you go through during that project? Cuz I know I'd have to be drunk to come up with that. LOL!

That's pretty cool. There's only one good Indian restaurant around here. What did you order or was it a buffet?

we went to a fancier indian joint on the nice side of town. there are tons of really good divey indian restaurants too.

Great job Russ. My first experiments into building was one of those Grizzly kits. Great job.

thanks Dominator! it was a lot of fun to do. was really surprised i didn't screw up the clear coat. just enough to look nice and even.

Really cool Russ,

Looks great, and it is good to hear that you are getting into building.
Can't wait to see what your next experiment is.
Aloha
Bob

thanks Bob! it's probably a one timer. just wanted something to look and laugh at. next project might be a coat rack or birdhouse.

How many 40oz's did you go through during that project? Cuz I know I'd have to be drunk to come up with that. LOL!

dude Frank, you know me way too well. get out of my head!:D

chop chop with the bandsaw:
Photo0271.jpg
My personal favorite! Argh that is cruel.

I still think you shouldn't give up on the rhinestones though. They will look real good with the natural wood. Perhaps a pair of cow horns below the bridge? This baby needs to be seen in action...

The Pete Howlett model is very nice as well with the cutback. What is the general opinion on keeping the next straight (in Russ' case, let's call it "keep it street") and putting them at a slight angle? Didn't those double guitars have straight necks as well?

This thread deserves a :nana:

I was soo busy at work this past week that I completely missed this post. I saw your video, but didn't even know you actually made the 2kulele. Thanks for posting this and documenting your process. Definitely an inspiration to us all!
:rock: :rock:

I still think you shouldn't give up on the rhinestones though. They will look real good with the natural wood. Perhaps a pair of cow horns below the bridge? This baby needs to be seen in action...

you're totally right. it's never too late for rhinestones!

How about "Just the Two of Us"!

haha. that would be good. "ebony and ivory"?

I was soo busy at work this past week that I completely missed this post. I saw your video, but didn't even know you actually made the 2kulele. Thanks for posting this and documenting your process. Definitely an inspiration to us all!
:rock: :rock:

thanks, i have more photos of the process but wanted to keep it short and sweet. come over sometime to check out the 2kulele.

very nice. now you get to make a custom case for it =)

that very thought has been haunting me since i finished. how do i transport this monstrosity?:confused:

Top Bottom