George Formby Medley

UkeLad

Reaction score
Yep, me doing a 'compilation' of Mr. Formby's songs - Happy Go Lucky Me, When I'm Cleaning Windows, Auntie Maggie's Remedy, Leaning On A Lamp-post, With My Little Stick Of Blackpool Rock, 'The Practice Piece', Chinese Laundry Blues,

excellent effort wigan george, also big thanx for the time you take to make the uke club a big success on facebook, you are a fine ambassador of the uke m8, turned out nice again!!!!

Cool medley!! Well done!! In Aunty Maggies Remedy - can you tell my what Banjo Uke you are playing - it looks very similar to one that one of my Uke Group members has & we can't find out who made it! THose 'butterfly' around the edges looks just like his!

CHeerio

Roberta

Cool medley!! Well done!! In Aunty Maggies Remedy - can you tell my what Banjo Uke you are playing - it looks very similar to one that one of my Uke Group members has & we can't find out who made it! THose 'butterfly' around the edges looks just like his!

CHeerio

Roberta

Thanks again! :)

It's a "GH & S Melody" uke - George Houghton & sons, maybe made around 1960 or earlier - the reason you can see the 'butterfly' edges is because I remove the resonator when playing to get the Formby sound.

Here's some info:

"George Houghton established his Reliance Works in Heaton Street, Birmingham in 1888 and the range of banjos and zither-banjos he made were branded "Reliance." His well made inexpensive range of instruments quickly found favour with dealers and players alike and before long his factory was extended, his staff increased and the name changed to G. Houghton & Sons and production almost wholly devoted to making instruments for other firms to be branded with the vendor's name and/or trademark. Houghton's maintained a stock catalogue of instruments (usually marked with a gold-embossed lion with the initials G. H. & S. underneath) with which many retailers and most of the wholesale houses made up their own catalogues. One of the most popular selling lines of their banjos was the inexpensive instruments labelled "Melody Jo." Besides making, their own stock instruments they would also copy other firms' prototypes for them, to be branded with the latter's name as "makers".
In 1962, town-planning development in Birmingham plus staff difficulties finally decided George Houghton (son of the founder) to close down and he moved to London to become associated with John E. Dallas & Sons Ltd. The plant and materials and a few of his key workers he brought from Birmingham was established in a factory-at 12 Gravel Hill, Bexleyheath, Kent, and from that time until he retired in 1965 he made the inexpensive banjos sold under the Dallas label"

:)

I love this, it's really sinister!

:D thanks... I think!

Not my real teeth thank goodness - but the miserable lookin fizzog - I have my parents and a hard life to thank for that.

In fact... I was so ugly as a child, my parents had to tie a pork chop around my neck so the dog would play with me!

:D

Glad you like the vid - thanks for replying - appreciated. :)

Top Bottom