unusual wedding play opportunity

alonzoquixano

Reaction score
I recently had this experience and wanted to share. This is an example of life being stranger than art. A situation where the ukulele saved, or at least made better, the day.

I have multiple sclerosis and was recently hospitalized with a pulmonary embolism. I was sent to a rehab hospital to recover before going home. Of course I had my ukulele, and played it all the time. I entered the rehab hospital on a Friday night. Saturday, I played much of the day, often in common areas. I heard rumors of a wedding. Sunday, a hospital staff person came to me and said "I understand you are a musician, do you think you could play the Wedding March?" This was at 1030AM so I asked when the wedding was. She answered today at 2.

A patient in the hospital had been planning to be married before he had a serious neck injury. They decided to go ahead with the wedding, but it would have to be at the rehab facility. They didn't have music. It was a low key but emotional ceremony.

I told the staff person that I did not know the song on the uke but I would give it a shot. 90 minutes or so later I figured it out and could play it. There I was, <48 hours out of the big hospital and playing for a wedding.

I was glad to help this couple out, starting a long road of recovery and a different life than they expected a couple months earlier. Some of my friends offered that maybe I was meant to have been sick just then and in the place where I could contribute to this special event.

Who knows?

Amazing story. I hope you can still perform at many weddings.:)

What a lovely story. I hope it sped your own healing. They will always remember your kindness.

that is an amazing and moving story.

I think your friend was right , you were ment to be at the right place right time, to be a part of that.

being disabled myself , ive been in situations like this, where Ive met people who realy needed smething, like medical info or something i happend to know that has helped them by being at the right place right time because of my own illness. On a few occations i've seen the results of it, but mostly I think this happens a lot realy only we dont know it and we dont know what little thing we have said or done may have an impact on someone and create a 'butterfly effect'.
Even someone who has listened to you may remember that and try the uke and it realy helps them and that little seed blossoms into something., though you may never know.

It part of my own spiritual believes about ballence and good coming from bad. Some of us get a harder path in life because it is our gift and responsibility to be a catalyst to facilitate a greater good.

it being the holiday seaon and all it reminds me of one of my favorite stories and famous quotes by 'Tiny Tim' ( and no I don't mean the ukulele guy hehee;) )

"He told me, coming home, that he hoped the people saw him in church, because he was a cripple, and it might be pleasant to them to remember, upon Christmas Day, who made lame beggars walk, and blind men see.""

http://www.npr.org/programs/disability/ba_shows.dir/pos_chld.dir/highlights/ttim.html

or this quote from john 9
"His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him."

I personaly beleive in the meaning in suffering and how things have to happen a certian way, even if I mysel get very frustrated and down as hell about my own situation. i know good things have come out of it that wouldnt otherwise. I know I wouldnt have taken up ukulele if i hadnt lost teh ability to relay play my guitars, and what I would have missed! I wouldnt be on this board right now :p

I wonder too if other times it is as judgement on others who have the opportunity to be kind and dont. But realy its all our responsibility and we are given situations that challenge us to rise to the occation or turn away. and make choises that are selfish or giving, like the concept in these passages

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+25:31-46&version=NIV

I hope my rant wasnt too long-winded :eek:
many blessings and wishing you healing. keep spreading the ukulele aloha! :cool:

wolfybau and all

I have enjoyed reading all the posts, the wedding was truly a remarkable experience. I am doing much better and intend to play for a long time.

I am not really religious, maybe spiritual is a better term. I do a lot of advocacy (complaining) for accessibility issues. I drive a van with a side ramp for my scooter, and find that very often there is not an appropriate place for me to park. Or doorways are very hard to get through or bathrooms are impossible to use. My daughter, at about age 11, said to me once "Mom, I think God gave you MS so you could make the world a better place for the disabled."

I started playing the ukulele because it was small, and easy to carry around. I may not have started if it wasn't for my disability. Youtube was my introduction to the uke and the tutorials are great. I have also watched players fingers very closely and approximated many songs.

I don't really sing so I play instrumental pieces. It is my therapy. I can't imagine life without my ukes.

What a excellent story! My wife has ms so have an awareness of the condition. I am glad you were able to make their day special

Wow, two great uke stories in one day. Aren't uke players great?

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

JJ

Top Bottom