buzzing from the saddle?

raecarter

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a problem hopefully someone can help me on. My kala acacia tenor has developed a buzzing around the saddle? It appears to be around the 1st and 2nd strings. I have a misi under saddle pickup installed but this buzzing wasn't present when I first installed it. The bridge is securely glued to the body there is no lift. Its almost like a dull string. Do you think I should.purchase a new bone saddle to replace tge ebony one. Which is not hugely tight in the slot as it never has? Im wondered if its just poor contact due to that issue? If anyone has any ideas I can try to fix it then thank you. Rae

I have read many posts where the problem was that saddle was not fully seated at some point in the bridge.

Thanks you too sorry I didn't explain that buzz is when not plugged in. I think I will get new strings. Then rule that out as a problem then if that isn't fixed ill get a new saddle thank you

Possibly the excess MiSi wiring inside the body cavity under the saddle? I had a similar thing happen with a self-installed MiSi. Might have goofed on the angle of the hole I drilled. Try carefully stuffing some foam, or some cloth down there and see if it stops. If that's it, try to secure the bit that's vibrating. (Great anti-feedback trick, BTW: Stuff a t-shirt down there and say goodbye to feedback. Obviously dulls the soundboard, but still sounds great thru an amp/PA. Great for quiet practice, too!)

Thanks you too sorry I didn't explain that buzz is when not plugged in. I think I will get new strings. Then rule that out as a problem then if that isn't fixed ill get a new saddle thank you
It sounds like you are on the right track. You may also want to see that the saddle is flat and smooth on the bottom, most of my factory ukes have needed a bit of dressing up. Get some fine sandpaper and a smooth flat surface, usually just a few light strokes will clean up bottom of the saddle and get it to fit nice and tight, also chech the bridge slot for any "bits" leftover from manufacture and assembly.

Okay thanks for all your advice I shall do one thing at a time to eliminate them as reasons. Cheers

It sounds silly, but check the end plug and make sure it is tight.
Rattles can tend to travel.

Hi sailing uke that was my first idea to check. It wasn't that unfortunately

Possibly the excess MiSi wiring inside the body cavity under the saddle? I had a similar thing happen with a self-installed MiSi. Might have goofed on the angle of the hole I drilled. Try carefully stuffing some foam, or some cloth down there and see if it stops. If that's it, try to secure the bit that's vibrating. (Great anti-feedback trick, BTW: Stuff a t-shirt down there and say goodbye to feedback. Obviously dulls the soundboard, but still sounds great thru an amp/PA. Great for quiet practice, too!)

I agree. This problem was my first thought.

Rae, I agree with above. Unusual for a buzz to appear out of nowhere based on something structural. Either the unlikely scenario of two strings dying at once, but more likely wiring.

I fitted a pickup to my Fluke and then weeks later got a rattle. Ended up pulling it out, shortening wire and refitting. Sorted it. If you can get inside, taping the wire up may also work.

Rae, I agree with above. Unusual for a buzz to appear out of nowhere based on something structural. Either the unlikely scenario of two strings dying at once, but more likely wiring.

I fitted a pickup to my Fluke and then weeks later got a rattle. Ended up pulling it out, shortening wire and refitting. Sorted it. If you can get inside, taping the wire up may also work.

Okay mate I'll get lily to get her hand in there and tape it.

Top Bottom