damaged Gibson TU-1 tenor on clist, worth making an offer?

ejnovinsky

Reaction score
damaged Gibson TU-1 tenor on clist, worth making an offer? Now with pics!

ukegibson2.jpg!cid__imagejpeg952.jpgukegibson.jpgThere is a damaged tu-1 gibson tenor on the local clist here....wondering what would be a fair offer to make for it. Trying to get seller to send actual pics since he posted stock pics from elderly on his ad. Heres a link to the ad. thanks!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/2732086441.html

Last edited:
There is a damaged tu-1 gibson tenor on the local clist here....wondering what would be a fair offer to make for it. Trying to get seller to send actual pics since he posted stock pics from elderly on his ad. Heres a link to the ad. thanks!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/2732086441.html
I saw one in good condition just like it with no cracks or bad scratches go on eBay a couple of months ago for around $800 if that helps any.

I would wait to see the pictures and the extent of the damage before I even consider any sort of offer. And he has no starting point of what he would even consider. The fact that he just puts a picture of a different one he found somewhere else give me enough reason for pause. But, if it is close enough to go see it personally, and not rely on sending someone money and waiting to see if you even get it, or even if it exsists is a good thing. Craigslist is a decent source, but I always look into craigslist with extream caution, due to many horror stories. I think the fact that anybody can post on that free and be anonomous with no accountability leaves craigs list open to some real creepy weirdos to use. I wouldn't go to any location from craigslist without someone with me also, just for safety as well. Safety tip for the day. Go look at it, and assess it before making any sort of offer of course. Get pictures, and post them in the Lutheir section and ask advice on any repair costs you might have to deal with.

I would wait to see the pictures and the extent of the damage before I even consider any sort of offer. And he has no starting point of what he would even consider. The fact that he just puts a picture of a different one he found somewhere else give me enough reason for pause. But, if it is close enough to go see it personally, and not rely on sending someone money and waiting to see if you even get it, or even if it exsists is a good thing. Craigslist is a decent source, but I always look into craigslist with extream caution, due to many horror stories. I think the fact that anybody can post on that free and be anonomous with no accountability leaves craigs list open to some real creepy weirdos to use. I wouldn't go to any location from craigslist without someone with me also, just for safety as well. Safety tip for the day. Go look at it, and assess it before making any sort of offer of course. Get pictures, and post them in the Lutheir section and ask advice on any repair costs you might have to deal with.

Yeah Im a craigslist veteran, and had my share of creepy encounters, I never go alone, and try to meet at a neutral location when possible, and thats buying or selling. As a rule I never let a clist buyer come to my house when I can avoid it at all......the fact he posted stock pics gave me pause too, but if theres a chance at a steal here I may be interested....

I think most of us love a "steal" (read "bargain" here). If you see actual pictures of the damage and like it, lowball him and start the ball off in your court.

I agree with Tudorp. Only way is to have a look. Sellers don't usually know what is a really bad crack and what is not since they are usually not ukulele people, just someone who came across an old uke. May be a couple easily dealt with issues.....one never knows. I've bought a couple great ukeleles from Craigslist ads and had really great experiences. Good luck, update us when you get more info.!

Added pics I got at first post.....not great shape...missing tuners and bridge pins, and the damage is in the side, and its nasty looking damage. I think this guy still thinks he can get a couple few hundred for it.........tempted to offer him 50 tops....

I'd give him $50 for that. Might go $100, but that is because I would do the work myself. If you have to pay to have it repaired, it might be $200-$400 or so to repair by a Lutheir? But, keep in mind what it is worth. After it is repaired, it is still a repaired Gibson, and might not go as high as one that has never had a repair..

Top Bottom